SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I'm probably just paranoid but - is this organization real?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
nalei
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This one:

http://www.volunteer.org.nz/tanzania/bagamoyo/

I just heard today that a young relative is going to volunteer in Tanzania on her expenss, something very strange. After reading all scam stories here in the last week I've become a little paranoid...
Does this look ok?
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The domain has been online since 2001, which is a good indicator of something beling legit, and it's registered until 2015, so I think you can safely say the site is legit:

Quote:
volunteer.org.nz
% New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited
% Users confirm on submission their agreement to all published Terms
%
version: 1.23.0
query_datetime: 2007-01-07T03:54:41+13:00
domain_name: volunteer.org.nz
query_status: 200 Active
domain_dateregistered: 2001-01-28T17:37:00+13:00
domain_datebilleduntil: 2015-01-28T17:37:00+13:00
domain_datelastmodified: 2006-11-07T15:05:23+13:00

domain_delegaterequested: yes
%
registrar_name: Freeparking
registrar_address1: Level 2, 2 Devon St East
registrar_address2: www.freeparking.co.nz
registrar_city: New Plymouth
registrar_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
registrar_phone: +64 6 7572881
registrar_fax: +64 6 7572883
registrar_email: [email protected]
%
registrant_contact_name: Colin Salisbury
registrant_contact_address1: PO Box 2231
registrant_contact_city: Wellington
registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
registrant_contact_phone: +64 4 5699080
registrant_contact_fax: +64 4 5699081
registrant_contact_email: [email protected]
%
admin_contact_name: Colin Salisbury
admin_contact_address1: PO Box 805
admin_contact_city: Wellington
admin_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
admin_contact_phone: +64 4 569 9080
admin_contact_fax: +64 8 326 7788
admin_contact_email: [email protected]
%
technical_contact_name: WebFarm Limited
technical_contact_address1: Level 2, 2 Devon Street East
technical_contact_address2: New Plymouth, New Zealand
technical_contact_phone: +64 6 7572881
technical_contact_fax: +64 6 7572883
technical_contact_email: [email protected]
%
ns_name_01: ns.freeparking.co.nz
ns_name_02: ns2.freeparking.co.nz

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
How can I be sure that the Global Volunteer Network is a legitimate organization?
We have been verified by Idealist, which is the largest volunteer portal on the internet. This verification means that Idealist have viewed and approved our certification. We are a member of the International Association for Volunteer Effort and World Association of Non-Governmental Organisations. Prestigious web sites such as Lonely Planet and Goabroad.com have placed web links to us. We are a private, Non Government Organization (NGO), based in Wellington, New Zealand, and our incorporation number is: WN/1194442. Additionally, when you apply, we can provide you with contact information for previous volunteers if you wish.

So, that wasn't the first time someone asked this question. If you google 'idealist' and 'organisation' you will see that Idealist is indeed a legit organisation.

If you do a search for this organisation on the Idealist website very long link, it comes up, but there are too many matches to really compare.

IP resolves to NZ, which is where they claim to be. Then google gives me this: another long link

I would say legit. Mind you, a lot of these programs offer life experience, they don't always cover your expenses. Your friend would be best advised to have a good look at her insurance and see what kind of solutions this organisation offers if (s)he should become ill and need medical attention. Other than that: sounds like a nice adventure to me Very Happy

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
nalei
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, she wouldn't take any advices. She spent all her saving on this adventure without consulting anybody.

I do hope it is ok. Well, I'm more relaxed now. Thanks.
DrBillBlaze
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Most opportunities for international volunteering require the volunteer to pay his or her own expenses. Programs like the Peace Corps, where expenses are paid, are the exception rather than the rule.

I think that people who have seen first hand that even the poorest people in wealthy countries are lucky have a much better perception of how fortunate they really are. When you realize that half of the world's population lives without indoor plumbing or household electricity, you have a much better appreciation for the luxuries you have.

Your young relative is probably a good-hearted person for wanting to go on a trip like this, and the experience will probably make her a better person.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic