SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Weird scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
aviators99
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm trying to figure out this scam.

My CC # was stolen. Not uncommon. No big deal. The only thing it was used for was ClickNShip USPS postage labels. Around 10 of them at $67.10 each. Again, whatever...

Then, I get an envelope in the mail with one of these shipping labels--Returned to sender--me. Not only did they use my card, but they used my name and address as the return address. I did not have a USPS account that was hacked. They created it for this purpose.

Inside the envelope is a fake check. Written from a real charity to a real individual. Okay, again, seen this before. But I don't understand why they used my real name and address...

Then I hear from someone else (a stranger), asking me why I sent him a fake check (he was savvy enough to realize it was fake).

I explained what was going on.

Weird thing is he was not contacted with any sort of instructions to cash the check and send difference or advance fee or whatever. His envelope was just like mine...just the check and nothing else. It was made out to him, and it was forged from a different bank.

Tracking shows that the one I received started in Maine, was undeliverable in California, and then returned to me (in Florida), with fake check drawn from a Texas bank. His started in California and ended in California, from a California credit union.

What's the scam about? Should I report it to someone? I tried the Postal Inspector, but they're not interested.
B8er
Associate Boomdazzler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scammers usually get victims to send their fake checks for them - they'll advertise on Craigslist etc, for people to do payroll jobs - printing and issuing fake checks. Chances are the person who sent out the checks using your details didn't put whatever details were meant to go with the check into the envelope with it.

I'm surprised that the Postal Inspectors aren't interested as that is meant to be their job.

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip 🚽
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1746 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Reallly

Quote:
My CC # was stolen. Not uncommon. No big deal

Just delete the messages and contact your CC fraud dept.

Notify all the shipping services you use.

If you have a website post an alert that scammers are using your name and site for scams.

Closed lad accounts x31 x5 Cellphone Webstores x18 Cellphone x11 Easter Egg 2012 Purple Flower Mortar
Whip Jack Boot
$28,320.00 In Fake Checks

"Are you blind. I told you that i don't like this method payment,If you are serious
you have to understand me better" "You put me through all this pain" -Hitman

"YOU ARE MAD LOOK IM NOT HEAR TO PLAY GAME" Craigslist Scammer

"i ave your name do you want me to take your name to my native doctor you will just go totally insane overnight...YOUR ARE WARNED ...Don't dare"

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Noah115
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, one iteration of this sort of thing I saw involved a "charity" getting an individual to open up a bank account in their own name, then sending them a dirty check. Now, they have the bank credentials because they set up the bank account to the specifications of the scammer. so when the check is deposited, they go buy their stupid iTunes gift cards or amazon or whatever. Then when the check bounces, they are liable because it is their bank account. The important thing to remember is these jerks prey on people that are gullible and do not know better.
Padme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Noah115 welcome to eater. Please do not necro old threads. In most cases the original posters will be long gone or the question will have been dealt with.

Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Sand Timer x2 Vcamera Acra>Sngpre Acra>Dkr>Rsso>Bmko>Kpndo>Ctnu -Team Woody
Safari Sand Timer Akure>Kano -Amos
Safari x8 Sand Timer x2 Vcamera Owerri>Maiduguri>Owerri>Lagos>Lomé>Bmko>Kolokani Bmko>Nioro>Bmko>Timbuktu>Bmko>Youri Bmko>Mauritania>Kidira>Dakar>Jail -Team Godwin
Safari 's - assorted West Africa safaris, Cyril w/ Spindrift, France-Dublin w/ DSW
Easter 2015 Mortar Closed lad accounts Jack Boot Whip Whip Vcamera Mc Fry Goat Santa Flying Monkey
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic