SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Relocation assistant scam (aimed specifically @ translators)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Melon colitis
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all,

First post here. Got a scam attempt yesterday, which after checking seems to be specifically aimed on translators - it's a variant of the assistant scam, and probably been posted already, but i thought some might like the info

Here's how it goes:

1st approach:

Services of an individual that speaks English Language is required

Dear Sir/Ma,

I viewed your CV on xxx and copied your email.
I require the services of an individual in France who can communicate in English Language to assist me during my relocating process to France.
If you have any available time please respond to my email and i will give you more information.
I will be paying for your services.
I hope to read from you soon.

Regards,

Thomas Atkinson.

Second email:

Dear Melon Colitis

Thank you for responding to my email.

My wife Sheila and I are relocating to France permanently after our retirement in the oil and gas sector in Wisconsin, USA.

Currently, we are in search of someone to work with us virtually prior to our arrival and possibly after our arrival for our first one year in France.

Reliability is very important to us hence our strict choice.

No prior experience is required but could be an added advantage.

We arrive France in six weeks, hence your duties would be to assist us in basically anything we are required to do prior to our arrival which may range from.

Planning trips, organizing Airport Pickups, Pay bills, Booking train tickets, Vehicle Hire, Vehicle Insurance, Organizing diaries, hotel reservations & General assistant.

The candidate must be a good listener of any sex and above eighteen years of age.

We are offering to pay is Five hundred euros weekly.

This job could be part-time or full-time because most of the task would be done at your spare which makes it pretty flexible.

Full itinerary would be given to you as soon as all arrangements have been concluded.

If you require more information, please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to respond almost immediately.

Please be aware that this email does not automatically offer you employment.

Only successful candidates would be contacted by telephone and email.

If you are interested, Please respond with your telephone number and your present Location in France.

Yours Sincerely,

Thomas Atkinson

+1 920 798 4168

-----

A quick search just to make sure came up with an almost identical attempt:
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=210482

I'd love to take him on, just not sure where to start.

BC
bobbybobby
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd start here https://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846

and then check out the University and maybe grab a mentor.

Eater University https://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51

Mentors Here http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php

Oh and you may want to post the header to the email you received-remove your personal info. Info on how to do that is in the first link.

"YOU ARE COMPLETELY A LUNATIC."

"PLEAS DO NOT SEND ANY OF MY EMAIL COPY TO THE MAD MAN.AGAIN."
Jack Boot Purple Flower Mc Fry Golden Pig
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Melon colitis,
First, just to check: if you started correspondence using your real name (or details that connect to your real name) you should stop this one right away. If you're using an anonymous email account as suggested in the first link bobbybobby posted, carry on.

Yes, this looks like a type of employment scam. Assuming you get the job (or possibly as part of the "application" process), you'll be asked to make an advance fee payment which can take various guises.

How to get started? The short answer is to start asking questions about the job and trying to get him into conversation. Really, your imagination is the limit here.

You have the advantage of knowing he will be requiring a fee at some stage in the near future. Often they want their victims to pay by western union or moneygram, both untraceable. However in some cases they want payment by bank transfer: we have the capacity to report bank accounts used in scams (reflected in the piggybank icons many members have in their profile signatures). So one straightforward starter goal is to see if you can get him to supply a bank account.

You can see many other different angles in the Eater's Greatest Hits forum but it's best to start with smaller goals to learn the ropes.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
Melon colitis
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

Thanks for the tips!

Oh, it's a scam indeed, no doubt about that, I've found the same wording in other attempts online. The wording was a bit of a giveaway, but I've waited for the second email just to make sure.

The scammer contacted me under my real name (unfortunately the nature of my job means having an email out in the open), but i have a brand new anonymous account to use for any further replies.

I'll read up!

MC
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know the feeling - I get all kinds of goodies in my day job as well.

If you started correspondence with your real name, I would cut this conversation off - even if you switch to a new anonymous account.

Fortunately, scammers almost never check whether their respondents are on their mailing list, so you can "reply" from your baiting account as if you received the initial email there. You can do the same with any other scam you may come across (including scam emails posted at Scamwarners, or in the Surplus forum here).

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
TheLoneHaranguer
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater, Melon colitis!

I have not been on Eater for a couple of days and only just received the notice that you are my newest mentee. I apologize for taking so long to get in touch with you, but please check your PMs and we'll pick things up from there.

Safari T.W.A.T Vcamera Pastor Omar (Edo->N'Djamena->Abeche): "I have been slept in tached huts in the Sahara deserts"
Safari x3 T.W.A.T Vcamera x3 Tattoo Rev. Prosper (Lagos->Timbuktu): "I have never been in to this type of thing in my life and you called it enjoyment"
Easter 2015 Vcamera Goat Jack Boot
Mortar

House Haranguer: Alone we stand, together we thrive

"trust is hard to build until the foot step of trust has been stepped" Jammy King, getting philosophical

"i HAVE WRITTEN 73 MESSAGES TO YOU WHAT DO YOU TAKE ME FOR?" Rev. Boutin Dickson, not getting it
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic