SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Will Slightly now grow wings?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grey squirrels 'don't harm birds'
By Matt Walker
Editor, Earth News

Grey squirrels do not have a significant impact on the populations of many of England's woodland bird species, a study has found.

Researchers from the British Trust for Ornithology and Natural England examined the impact of grey squirrels on 38 bird species across the country.

They found some evidence that grey squirrels may locally suppress the populations of some species.

But they do not appear to cause the birds any widespread or lasting harm.

The findings of the study, which contradict the view that grey squirrels have caused declines in British bird numbers over the past 40 years, are published in the

Grey squirrels are very unlikely to have driven observed declines in woodland birds in recent years
Dr Stuart Newson BTO Senior research ecologist
It has long been known that grey squirrels, an invasive species to the UK, predate on bird eggs and will also kill and eat fledglings.

the UK's native squirrel species, do the same.
Over the past four decades, many

Many of these declines have been associated with changes to agricultural practice.

But it has often been argued that predators, such as grey squirrels, are also killing off native birds.

This threat - combined with the damage that grey squirrels can do to native trees, and the impact that grey squirrels may be having on the remaining populations of red squirrels - had led to calls last year, backed by Prince Charles, to

However, firm evidence that predation by grey squirrels has caused national declines in the numbers of native bird species has been lacking.

So researchers at the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) and Natural England (NE) reviewed a wealth of data on bird and grey squirrel numbers in England to search for evidence that greys were having an impact.

BTO ecologists Dr Stuart Newson, Dr David Leech and Dr Chris Hewson and NE's Dr Humphrey Crick and Mr Phil Grice examined 38 bird species associated with woodland, including common starlings, wood pigeons, wrens, woodpeckers, thrushes, warblers, tits and finches.

Data on their population sizes and that of grey squirrels was gathered by the

Around 160,000 red squirrels remain in the UK, compared to 2.5 million grey squirrels
Over 2 million of these grey squirrels live in England
In the past, grey squirrels have been blamed for significant declines in now rare birds such as lesser spotted woodpeckers, common nightingales, tree pipits, willow warblers, song thrushes, willow and marsh tits and hawfinches
They found very little evidence that grey squirrels were suppressing bird numbers.

"Grey squirrels are very unlikely to have driven observed declines in woodland birds in recent years," Dr Newson told the BBC.

Of the 38 bird species, a statistically significant relationship between grey squirrel and bird population sizes was found for 12 species.

Of those, squirrels appeared to have a positive impact on seven bird species, a correlation probably caused by both mammal and bird species benefiting from similar changes to their habitat.

Grey squirrels had a negative impact on just five: the common blackbird, Eurasian collared dove, green woodpecker, long-tailed tit and Eurasian jay.

"Of these species, the most convincing evidence is for blackbird and collared dove," says Dr Newson.

For these two species, the researchers found a weak but significant relationship between the abundance of grey squirrels and a failure of the birds' nests.

However, while grey squirrels may be predating on these two species, the overall number of blackbirds and collared doves has gone up nationally, and even locally where grey squirrels are common.

It is just that the numbers of these bird species have increased even more where grey squirrels are absent.

"This was the first national analyses of its type to be carried out, so I was open-minded as to what I might find," says Dr Newson.

One explanation for why grey squirrels eat birds' eggs, yet do not appear to cause any decline in bird numbers, is that birds compensate for the loss to their nests.

If the number of fledglings falls, for example, the survival rate of those remaining often goes up, as they have less competition for food in the nest.

Surplus non-breeding birds may also step in to bolster numbers if a population does begin to decline.

The researchers do not rule out the possibility that grey squirrels may be having an impact on other high-risk species, such as hawfinches, which could not be studied as a result of a paucity of data.

But they say it does reinforce the view that the most pressing conservation issue relating to grey squirrels is the impact they are having on native red squirrels rather than woodland birds.

There is good evidence that grey squirrels have played an important role as a vector in the spread of parapoxvirus, a form of pustular dermatitis that does not affect greys, yet can kill a red squirrel within four to five days.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8448000/8448807.stm

Closed lad accounts x40

FUK OOOOOOOOF - Mrs Cooker James
you are a fo0l forever because you are not worthy to be a human being but an Animal.
.something that cannot take 10minutes is taking you 2months- barrister lawrence
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And they spent how much doing this research?

All they had to do was ask me and I could have told them for nothing.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Ms Mockinatrix
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You do something for nothing? Laughing Laughing

I am wall to wall entertainment (apparently so says Mr. E)
dbest03
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ooooooo - I'm now having extremely strange mental visions of a certain green squirrel that has now sprouted wings Shocked .

Sand Timer x1

I may be retarded for at the moment, but it won't take long before i bounce back to action - Mado Christopher Jr

MY YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUSE ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND STOP ALL THIS YOUR BLABS OK - CHARLES C. SOLUDO
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pustular Dermatitis? I thought that only affected teenaged squirrels.

Slightly, you had better get an ointment for that. I thought that only affected teenaged squirrels.

Do squirrels eat tiny bacon with their eggs?

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

just wait until you get a couple of them living in your attic. They're as bad as democrats......

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic