SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!! Why you get spam and scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
lesabre101
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

I am not anyone special and I certainly don't have great computer tech skills. I have been reading all of the 419baiters rules/regs/instructions and they are spot on.

My topic of this note is this. Internet security. If you don't receive the scam letters in the first place, then you're not going to get involved and be taken. The same way with any spam. There are tons of ways to block that and all of it is free.

I know I'm spouting off but, the best defense is a good offense.

You can block all of these bastards by using your computer's tools or buy using software to protect yourself from all of it.

The 419eaters rule at getting back at them but wouldn't it be nice if nobody had to put up with this in the first place.??

Do what's right for you. I will stay and fight with 419 but, you can use another option and block all of the shit that you get.

Knowledge and education about this will help.

Very Happy

** Retired **

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In essence, you're right. But on an anti 419 website (where we actively search out spam and scam emails, and roll around in them, laughing and rubbing the filth into our crevices) you're probably preaching to the converted. We know how to avoid scam emails, our trouble is that we don't want to avoid them... the more the merrier! Smile

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For non-baiters who are sick of spam/scams there's still the problem that no matter how good the anti spam software is, the spammers still find ways around it.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lesabre101 wrote:
There are tons of ways to block that and all of it is free.

It's not as easy as that. Gmail is good at trapping spam, but bad at trapping scam emails.
This forum was set up to protect the vulnerable, by disrupting scammers' activities by baiting, getting their names and phrasology on search engines, offering advice, etc.
We wouldn't devote a lot of our time to this for free, if there were better ways of fighting scammers.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's actually a bad idea.

Consider the vulnerable, naive computer user who gets 10 lottery wins and 20 419 scams in their inbox every day. They are not likely to be fooled.

Now consider if their helpful computer guru had installed filters that stop 99.9% of the scams. Now they only get one every few weeks, and they probably fall for them.

Virii and phishing may be another matter.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lesabre101 wrote:

My topic of this note is this. Internet security. If you don't receive the scam letters in the first place, then you're not going to get involved and be taken. The same way with any spam. There are tons of ways to block that and all of it is free.

... You can block all of these bastards by using your computer's tools or buy using software to protect yourself from all of it.

I think there's a weak element to that approach. The most important element. The element between keyboard and chair. In order to know what to block with your free spam filtering, you have to be able to IDENTIFY what is a scam/spam. If you're relying on the user to click "Report spam", they've got to be able to use that thing between their ears to figure out if what they're looking at IS a scam should one of the newer, as-yet-unidentified variants slip through. Even the best heuristic spam/scam/virus filtering isn't 100%. It's kind of putting the cart before the horse to expect filtering to be the only protection.

And even if you have a paid piece of software that operates something like a virus scanner that relies on a central database, you're still relying largely on a user base reporting those new scam variations back to the central database so they can be cataloged and the software can identify them and the variations on them. Or a darned big lab with a darned big group of researchers trying to catalog what's out there by setting up spam traps.

Not to mention, people have been preaching the necessity of good anti-virus protection for at least the past decade at the top of their lungs. The number of computer users out there without even a free anti-virus solution kept up to date on their machines still makes professional IT types like me shiver. Any tool is only as good as the user and their faithfulness in keeping it up to date on definitions and running regular scans or leaving continuous protection in place.

Would it be great to keep them from landing in people's inboxes in the first place? Of course! But I don't think it's realistic. As long as there is a possible buck in it, scammers and spammers will come up with new ways of circumventing security measures, constantly evolving. Keeping up is an arms race.

And even if you managed to squash email scams, that leaves other types of internet, phone and mail fraud. What about the scams where the scammers set up a website and wait for the victims to come to them? Chinese non-delivery scammers are pretty active. All the spam filters in the world won't keep you from visiting the latest Chinese "factory" supposedly offering "real Lacoste" and "real Nikes" next to the "real iPhones" after you find it on Alibaba. There's fraudulent lending, too. And all the "we can guarantee you'll get a green card/visa" offers.

Computers are indeed nifty, but they aren't terribly good at learning. They can only do exactly what the programmer tells them and only make decisions based on a limited database of knowledge. People... well, we can draw conclusions. Leap to them, even. Or at least say "more data needed, I'll go acquire it" when necessary. And we have this "gut feeling" and "intuition" stuff.

Truly impressing upon one person that advance fee laws prevent any real lottery, sweepstakes or contest from legally asking you for any sort of fee before you can receive your prize is going to protect that person against any variant of that scam that comes down the pike from then on. Including the one that might arrive via phone or postal mail. (Or at least prompt them to research further.) Teaching them that Moneygram or Western Union aren't meant for business and that you can't buy real Nikes direct from China legally will protect them from whatever fake seller site that shows up next month or next year. Showing them that they don't have to pay a cent to apply for immigration to Canada may keep them safe from a dozen unscrupulous visa operations. And even nicer, you can often get that one user to spread the word to all their friends and family for you.

I'm not saying filtering is worthless, just that it needs to be one weapon in a large arsenal. I'm convinced that education is probably the most effective weapon. It's got its flaws, too, of course. For a start, you have to keep educating the new users as they come in. Some of those scams I mentioned above aren't usually baited, but sometimes baits here help point people to the more comprehensive/broad fraud education sites like the ones in my sig where they can learn about fake check scams, employment scams and so on.

Sometimes, you have to have a little entertainment and zazzle out front for people to come in and look around. And if they aren't careful, they just might learn something while they're here. Or at the very least, know they have at least one resource where they can post a question.

And baiting serves a purpose for those of us who do additional anti-scammer stuff. I also volunteer on an anti-fraud informational site that does no baiting. Baiting taught me just about everything I know about scammers. You can really convince a potential victim that you know your stuff when you can accurately predict exactly what the scammer is going to do next because you've baited this same script a dozen times.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
beckythatcher
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also love lads are responding to ads placed on dating sites, often through the "contact me" portion of the web site...no spam filter is going to block those.

*Of M7CNS3cure - "honey sincerely this is really hard work and i have been sitting here all day trying to fix it all but once i make any mistake i have to start all over again and i am getting pissed off"
* are you the person making this mistake or are you doing this intentionally?......just pissed right now

Safari Jack - Enugu to Lagos - thanks OD! "I am going through alot of pains here. if i had known i would not have come to lagos let alone allowing myself to be starnded." - 13 days!
Safari James - Lagos to Port Harcourt to Calabar "Now they are on the street looking for where to sleep

Closed lad accounts x 18 pony Ninja United Kingdom x4 Sweden x2 China United States
I'm going shopping! $39,977.80 in fake checks
lesabre101
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK I see everyone's point. Thanks to everyone for the answers. I should have thought about what I posted a little more. But, I did learn a lot of stuff today which is very cool. I began doing a search on IP's and how they're assigned, read a ton of stuff on security and many other things about computer software and how e-mail works. I got into some pretty heavy stuff and was amazed.

The main thing is, joining 419 eater really got the ball rolling. I am interested in doing some serious damage to these scammers and the more info I have will help. This group here is fantastic and you all deserve a medal for doing this and creating this site.

I have snared a couple of lads on my own in the past 6 months but now with the help of 419 and people here, I am really better prepared and it is becoming a lot easier and safer. Thanks a million to everybody here.

Happy New Year !!!!

ST

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic