SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Yahoo, Microsoft, WU work to beat scams

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
TheBarSteward2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[source: Yahoo News]
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20081029/ttc-yahoo-and-microsoft-take-aim-at-lott-6315470.html

Yahoo and Microsoft are teaming up in an effort to stop lottery email scams.

The two companies have signed on with Western Union and the African Development Bank to head a new effort to aid victims of the attacks and help catch the perpetrators.

Lottery scams often reach users in the form of spam messages. The user is told that they have won a special internet lottery, and are then advised that to claim the prize and securely conduct the transaction, bank details must be provided.

The account information is then harvested by the attacker and sold or used for fraudulent transactions.

The campaign will establish a new service that allows victims of the scams to share police reports. The companies have set up web sites and email addresses through which users can contribute their reports to a database.

The hope is that the database will better enable both the companies and law enforcement agencies to link the lottery scam cases and track down the criminals behind the frauds. Interpol will also contribute to the project by spreading awareness of the site and encouraging law enforcement groups to utilise the database in investigations.

"At Yahoo, we've long told our users that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. But as internet fraudsters continue to get more creative in their approaches, consumers continue to be deceived," said George Hadjigeorgiou, Yahoo's European general manager of communication and community products.

"This unique initiative is a continuation of our online safety and trust initiatives and is intended to help support our consumer awareness efforts."

Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yahoo doesn't mind accepting payments from stolen credit cards to fund fake websites though.

I guess they still deserve some credit for doing what they should have been doing all along.

Quote:
George Hadjigeorgiou

I found a new baiting name. Right up there with Peter Cockelbanger.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

The account information is then harvested by the attacker and sold or used for fraudulent transactions.

Since when? Aren't they all advance fee scams?
And why just target lottery scams?

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Because a mass number of the lottery scams have always claimed to be from Yahoo and MS.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
buried under 419 emails
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm it sound like the PR meeting at yahoo and MS went well, maybe its an election year.

I really wonder how many emails are sent from their services and both know it? how many sites do they host?

"Any money you send to Africa to receive your payment is at your own risk " David Mark

over 1,000 fakes deaded since Oct 2005. This is my current rampage! Mortar x6 Easter Egg 2011 Purple Flower
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be nice if I saw one press release without at least one glaring mistake in it.

Hears to them actually doing it, I hope it makes some kind of difference.
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I find it amazing that the USA can track every email/phone call/fax for terrorist activity, using keywords, but can't stop scams that use formatted scripts, which actually damage the economy more than any terrorist could.

Plus the victims usually fall foul of LEO, and a high percentage end up with criminal records from cheque scams

Misguided perceptions?

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
internationalchrysis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope they hurry up. Checked my yahell account today, to see there was SPAM from myself! I think it's time I got rid of the account. GRRR

Safari x1 (Senegal to Gambia)
"You can go now and f*ck yourself with a donkey or horse because you really need to be f*cked by a donkey or horse"
(George Michael's brother Frank/Frannypoo)

"You are a dead meat!"
(Léon the (Not so) Professional)

Closed lad accounts (19 in total:
x2 Léon the (not so) Professional. x4 Via Swindler's list. x4 Via Will and Grace the Law Firm. x3 *Hitman, x1 Hitman: The sequel!, , x1 Haiti scam, x1 The Bimbo (via Umbongo Chambers),
x1 Rita the ETA eater, x1 Via Team Doughnut, x1 Via Prince Emaka, x4 via the Nazis)
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Ex.
George Hadjigeorgiou - This is a Greek Aromanian name Wink

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Asshole! - angry ghanaian "barrister"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic