SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Off Roading/ 4x4

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking to get into off roading myelf. I had a go in my mate's Pajero, and it was great fun. Especially here in Scotland, plenty of places to go off road.

Only thing is, I got a BMW 5 series. Not the best off-road car. I'm looking to get a 4x4, to go off road and also to to the boat.

Can you reccomend anything for me in the UK market? I know f all about 4x4s. This is to replace a 5 series, but still be able to go off road.

I had a think that I could buy a £1K 15 YO Range Rover or something, just for going off road. Any help is appreciated.

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought you owned (or had bought your Mrs) one of those massive Audi 4x4 things?

Anyway mate, I find most "4x4" cars these days are nothing of the sort, just big jalopies for making sure little Timothy can sit higher than all the other kids on the school run. You'll gather I'm not a fan. Laughing

I've driven Land Rovers for years and love them to bits. I also liked a Toyota Land Cruiser I drove for a while a couple of years back. But to me, if it's not a Landy, it's not really a 4x4. Get yourself a cheap one and keep the beemer.

(Edited to add loads).

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris

Last edited by Mugatu on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^

Wifey had it, hated it, sold it Sad

It didn't have off road tyres either, so I never bothered to have a shot offroad.

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I see. Original post edited to add my views then. Wink

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Mugatu, not think highly of a Disco 3? It's a Land Rover. In Dubai we went on the sand dunes in a Land Cruiser, that's definitely an option.

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now you're talking Laughing
I used to drive a Nissan Patrol, the old version, but having it clean and in good working order every Monday morning to take it to work was always a trouble or it held me back during the weekend. A small and cheap alternative would be a Suzuki samurai, cheap parts, easy to maintain and very good in rough terrain if agility is the key. They don't have the raw power to plow trough endless mud, but with a little thinking/planning you can manage to pass those tracks too.
Where I live now, I live off road and during the winter you need 4x4 just to get home or to town, but the truck shows it. Crying or Very sad
Another cheap one with no appeal, but very good in terrain work, Lada Niva, low in power too so it's more the skill of the driver that determines how far you get.
Have fun

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Haflinger:

Pinzgauer:

Some from: South Africa Netherlands United Kingdom Nigeria Switzerland United States Ivory Coast Indonesia Spain Germany Luxembourg Cayman Islands Bahamas, The Ghana Senegal Malaysia Togo Iraq Flag Mauritius Flag Mortar x7

Failure to complies with this order require a severe act by the mets and
purnishment by law. (The Metropolitan Police)

fork off.. ([email protected])
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm getting the feeling no-one likes luxury 4x4 i.e Disco 3 e.t.c, so I think I'll buy a crappy 2-3K thing just for fun Razz

@Dott - I can't afford them Sad

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Luther Blissett
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I live in off-road country Wink

Judging by my obeservations on the road and off the roads here, by order of popularity, your choices are:
1. Land Cruiser - The Gulfs no.1 off road car by far
2. Pajero - Good (Have driven one), less expensive than a La(n)d Cruiser Smile
3. Hummer - forget it. Nowhere outside the Gulf can you afford to run one of those. Plus it's a bumpy ride and you hate going to the supermarket with it.
4. Nissan Patrol - Neat choice, works well.
5. Land Rover - The older models were better.

And my own personal choice would be (don't laugh!): A Suzuki Jimmy. Dirt cheap, as good an offroader than any of the above if handled right. Plus, it's a hoot to drive offroad. Just don't drive it on tarmac for too long, it's not very comfortable.

Banks: Ivory Coast Netherlands United Kingdom Ghana United Nations x1 Nigeria x2 Law Firms: South Africa United Kingdom Nigeria x1 Misc. Mugu Pooh: United Kingdom China x1 United Nations x2 HYIPs: pyramid x25 Phonelad Websites: Cellphone x6

Donate the Nurse, the Eater needs Pants... Err? * Scamwarners.com * Artists against 419 * Kill HYIPs & Ponzi Scams!
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
so I think I'll buy a crappy 2-3K thing just for fun

You'll have more fun in that thing then, then you ever thought was possible on four wheels for that kind of money. Buy a power washer too Wink

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the suggestions Luther.

I'll look about and see what prices I can get for the ones mentioned in this thread. Failing that, a decent quad bike shouldn't go amiss!

I got the pressure washer covered Bill Wink

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Luther that a Pajero can be a fine choice. But of course, being an old British stick in the mud (pardon the pun), and having driven Land Rovers for 18 years now, I'm very biased. Wink
Disco 3's are okay, but I find they're a compromise... in Land Rovers, you can not beat the defender or the older 110 or 90. They are bags of fun, and can be bought cheaply. Pinzgauers are great by the way, you can buy those used these days too.

My top 3:
1) Land Rover Defender 110.
2) Toyota Land Cruiser.
3) Mitsub Pajero.

Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.autoweb.co.uk/car_detail.asp?cdID=2404673

Whadda think of that?

I'm looking for the Paj the now because I've driven one and it's fresh in my mind. If I can't get anything, I'll move on to the other suggestions Very Happy

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM

Last edited by Craig007 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

craig007 wrote:
I had a think that I could buy a £1K 15 YO Range Rover or something, just for going off road.

I recently took an off-road course in almost the same motor (it was a 20 YO). The instructor reckoned it was one of the best vehicles out there for pure off-roading. Obviously, go for a manual and not an automatic. A 20 Yo is going to cost you next to nothing and you're not going to cry about it when you roll it or smack it, which guaranteed you will when you first start out.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the Pajero. They're reliable enough but crap off-road when compared to other marques (no venom against the brand as I own a Mitsibushi). I'd look for something with a bit more grunt - definitely over 3 litres.
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Frontera 2.2i long wheel base and a 4.0l Jeep Cherokee, both are good tow cars but the frontera is definitely the better off road car and cheap to buy.

pony pony Mortar x18
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Land Rover Defender 90
A bit worn looking, but I suppose it'll do the job.

It's quite hard to find 3+ L, ^^ that and the Paj is the biggest I can find.

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i would go for either the 90 defender 300 tdi swb
or the disco 300tdi.
i would tend to steer clear of the jap 4x4 because of the cost of the parts as landy parts are cheap and easily available off the net.

be very careful when buying a landy and take someone with you who knows the cars inside and out.some have been hammered to death.
i have owned both 90 and the disco and would buy another again.

here is some links
http://www.4x4uk.org/
http://www.lro.com/
http://www.difflock.com/

edited to add another link

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com

Last edited by remmy223 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally i'd pick something cheap and with minimal electronics, oh and swb unless you need the room.

1) Landrover
2) Toyota Landcruiser
3) Lada Niva

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check out government auction sites:
http://www.government-auctions.co.uk/

Although ex army or police vehicles take one hell of a beating, they have invariably been extremely well maintained. You can get some real bargains.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic