SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Download scam (related to 419 but not baitable)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Phail
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Setup is this: Unscrupulous user downloads a .torrent file about the right size for a movie. When played the 700+ Mb file gives a one min splash screen :

User goes to the given address: http://download.domplayer.com and sees a not too amateur site inviting you to download and install the player. The download is less than 1Mb but requires the payment of $2 to install. (On the support forums for the .torrent file there are warnings that even if the $2 is paid, there is no program installed, the informant stopped before they paid anything)
So here is a wide base, small scale advance fee fraud, that no one can complain about, as they were directed to the site after participating in an illegal action themselves. During the install you were given the option of paying by text message or using paypal, so there might be phishing or malware installation happening too. I wonder if there is a way to shut down the paypal vender account or otherwise harass these folks.

Thanks for any feedback you might have,
Phail
William Wankur
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't be too quick to declare this unbaitable.... email the address listed on the paypal and ask for information. Maybe you want to buy a site license for 5000 users but want to pay with a bank wire transfer?

I'm buying a very nice BMW motorcycle (with tachyon generators of course) from a fake shopping site. So far they've supplied 2 bank accounts for killing.

If you can't get them to bite, email [email protected] and inform them of the fraud. It seems a little spotty, but I've had mostly good luck with paypal taking action
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic