SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Can the seniors tell us why this is a scam...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
cahuna
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a post in the little read surplus letters forum entitled "Work from Home"

Comments on what elements of this point to an obvious scam would help the learning curve...

Posted by bobbywatts24

P.S. Not sure how to put a link in to the forum and post - maybe a mod can help out?

[mod edit: I assume you mean this thread: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101303 - KD (just copy&paste the URL from the address window of your browser)]
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@cahuna

You already asked this question in the quoted thread, but I guess a second try can't hurt this time.

People looking for part time home workers don't find their employees using spam emails. When you respond, they will probably ask for some kind of fee, and then another, etc. etc.

There's no job, just fees for you to pay = scam.
schmoebob
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another dead giveaway is that the contact email addy does not match the domain of the company being impersonated. Why would they spend all the money to buy a domain name, and then use yahoo for email?

Just my $.02 - payable via WU transfer... Wink
cahuna
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can someone tell me how long the website has been up? How do you find out this information out?

A quick look through the site and it looks pretty comprehensive to me. A lot of work appears to have gone into it.

Maybe it's innocent and the person who's set it up is a bit thick?

Apart from the obvious:

1. Unsolicited email
2. Free email address
3. Lack of phone numbers/email addresses on the "Contact us" page
4. Lack of the security when in the checkout page

What else is a real giveaway?

Come on folks.................. Confused
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I am looking for a trustworthy
representative in the canada and united states that will aid as a
link between me and my clients over there {USA/CANADA}. I
would like to know if you are interested. Please reply only if you
will like to work from home part-time and get paid in percentage
without leaving or it affecting your present job.

That is 100% Employment/Mule scam.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the site, Cheapfabrics.co.uk.
It is legitimate and being used by the lads to backstop their story, that is all.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As with most scammers, that link is to the real website...

However contact address for him [email protected] (HongKong?) is a bit suspicious as it would normally be on the websites domain e.g. [email protected] That my frined is a dead giveaway.

The site itself is legit I guess without spending the time to look at it. Hope that helps.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
cahuna
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Tsnerd. I'd assumed that the website was also dodgy and misread the post about informing the domain owner (had taken that as they were reporting it as a fake site). Still learning! Smile

Thanks for helping out.
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I see the point of confusion cahuna. As far as I can see the website is legit - the one at

http://www.cheapfabrics.co.uk/

the scam is the e-mail you received purporting (scrabble bonus points) to represent that site/company. That's why there is no direct link in the scam mail. That is often what they do in case you do a google search to verify the authenticity, and clearly that is not enough.

The scam mail is pretty duff - Hongkong - UK - USA/Canada - yeah right ? and it would undoubtedly result in receiving cheques for the scam company (not the website people) and no sensible company would entrust their payment receipts to an employee gained by spam mail.

Edit beaten again

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
cahuna
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GomerPyle wrote:

That's why there is no direct link in the scam mail. That is often what they do in case you do a google search to verify the authenticity, and clearly that is not enough.

That's what got me, there is a link in the mail:

Thanks..
Mr David Sheets
Managing Director
Cheapfabrics.co.uk
Thames Court,1 Victoria St,
Windsor,Berkshire,SL4 1YB.
Email [email protected]

And the streetmap.co.uk postcode reference is Sheet Street! I think I need to go to bed. Confused
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You are welcome, Cahuna.

And that is exactly why lad's use this tactic- it is all merged together.

Remember- the best lies are those that use real details Wink

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
kisslajos
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For me the #1 giveaway: WORK FROM HOME

You do not even need to read anything more.
You can be -100 risky free - sure that it is a scam.

- Either an advance-fee scam:
Send me $$$ and then I will send you the starter kit, manual, software for a highly paid at home job.

- Or some shady pyramid scam:
We pay if you recruit more "employees".

- Or check fraud/ money laundering:
The alleged "clients" send you fake checks and you, as the "employee" of this Whatever Company has to cash this check, then send the money (MG or WU) to an obscure - usually Asian, African, East-European address.

Here, in the US both authorities and consumer advocates groups send out, post repeated warnings regarding work from home web sites, mails or e-mails.

It is a very serious scam. Victims loose thousands of dollars, and could face charges of tax evasion, money laundering, check fraud.

(Check this site for a long list of companies with similar needs:
http://www.data-wales.co.uk/ni_fake_jobs.htm )

Last edited by kisslajos on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do quite well "working" for my boss. His customers send me money. I like that. I have received just over $20.000.00 USD in 3 weeks by money orders, ordinary personal cheques and American Express cheques.
I just can't seem to be able to transfer his 90%, there always seems to be a problem Twisted Evil
SAFETY is paramount if you take on these baits.
This one gave me the sheets Laughing

IF IT IS TRUE YOU ARE WRITING AND PAYING TO WHO I DONT KNOW I MUST MAKE SURE I CUT YOUR THROAT,ARE YOU STUPID?CANT YOU READ?IS THAT MY EMAIL?ARE YOU CRAZY?ARE YOU MAD?ARE YOU AN IMBECILE?YOU PAYED TO HIM AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT YOU PAYED HIM MONEY,IS THAT MY EMAIL?FUCK YOUR WIFE AND SCREEW YOUR KIDS,IDIOT AND HOPLESS HUMAN BEING LIKE YOU.DIE AND ROT IN HELL
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
Hong Kong France x2 Canada United States x2 United Kingdom x32 Ghana x12 Benin x2 Ivory Coast x2 cameroon Malaysia x7 Russia Spain x9 Netherlands Nigeria x7 Kenya Senegal Togo
pony GoatPretty Rose
Pith Helmet Accra to Tamale with Professor so/so
Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts x25or more
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I am looking for a trustworthy
representative

That's all I had to see Laughing
As others have said, sometimes the site used in mule scams is fake, but most of the time lads are cheap and lazy, so they just use a real company's website (whilst writing from a yahoo account) and hope the vic doesn't call the contact number on the website or notice the freemail addy.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jeff wrote:
I do quite well "working" for my boss. His customers send me money. I like that. I have received just over $20.000.00 USD in 3 weeks by money orders, ordinary personal cheques and American Express cheques.
I just can't seem to be able to transfer his 90%, there always seems to be a problem Twisted Evil
SAFETY is paramount if you take on these baits.
This one gave me the sheets Laughing

Just a blanket response from me - it's all bunk.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A detail like a return email address not matching a domain name probably isn�t noticeable for a typical victim.

Just the way some lads can embrace the notion that you must take a picture of yourself with a pickle in your mouth, in order to complete a wire transfer.

Lads look for gullible victims the way baiters look for gullible lads. They are the low-hanging fruit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic