SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

This seems to be a variant I'd not seen before.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
C.A. Daver
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm thinking these people, in trying a new wrinkle on the "please help me in return for millions scamming," seek to entwine us in such complexity that would confuse even experienced baiters.

Has anyone seen a scam such as this before?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I represent Uawithya Machinery Co., Ltd (UMCLT) based in Thailand. Uawithya is sole Distributor for renowned World Class Manufacturers such as Furukawa, Metso Minerals,Liebherr,Sandvik, Rammer,Pewag,Terex and Wasagchemie,Due to long association with our suppliers and our thorough understanding of the working condition in Thai Quarries; we are able to offer a comprehensive service support for all of our products in Thai Quarries.

It is upon this note that we are writing you this mail to seek your assistance in representing our company in your as a REPRESENTATIVE/RECEIVING OFFICER and also a medium of reach between our customers and us in their area of locality.

Note that, if finally approved as a Representative of Uawithya Machinery Co., Ltd (UMCLT), you are entitled to a 10% commission of whatever amount you receive from customers who are making payments of their outstanding invoices on behalf of the company. Our account officer in Thailand will convey to you the medium which you will use to remit any funds received on our behalf less your commission. Please, to facilitate the conclusion of this transaction If you are interested in being a REPRESENTATIVE OFFICER in the above location and your locality, do send to us promptly by email the following:

Uawithya Machinery Co., Ltd (UMCLT).

(1) Your full names
(2) Company Name
(3) Contact address and
(4) Phone/fax numbers

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully Submitted,
Mr. Frederick Bosmat
Chief Executive
Uawithya Machinery Co., Ltd

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All to often my friend. Standard check scam - take a look around the site and they are all over the place.
Welcome to the Eater.
Rule #1 - read the stickies
Rule #2 - read the stickies again
Rule #3 - read the stickies yet again
Rule #4 - get a mentor
Rule #5 - always bait safe
Luther Blissett
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ As guymannemisis said, but here's a bit more info on how they work:

Fake company is looking to recruit you as representative, payment officer, etc.
Once on board, they'll send you fake cheques or money orders or have these forwarded to you by other people.
They'll ask you to cash them, keep your commission and send them the rest via Western Union or some such money transfer service.
The cheque will eventually bounce (which sometimes takes weeks), by which time you'll have already transferred the moeny to the scammers and are left sitting with the repayment demands by your bank or even worse, dragged into a police investigation.

Cheque scammers can be fun to bait, but at the beginning are not normally the most exciting of pets. Wink

Banks: Ivory Coast Netherlands United Kingdom Ghana United Nations x1 Nigeria x2 Law Firms: South Africa United Kingdom Nigeria x1 Misc. Mugu Pooh: United Kingdom China x1 United Nations x2 HYIPs: pyramid x25 Phonelad Websites: Cellphone x6

Donate the Nurse, the Eater needs Pants... Err? * Scamwarners.com * Artists against 419 * Kill HYIPs & Ponzi Scams!
C.A. Daver
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks much. Nothing new under the sun, I guess.

I am filled with respect for experienced baiters, and would not venture to get into the ring without sufficient schooling.

You folks are like St. George, slaying dragons!

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Write off to Cherie for an armourer, and draw a good sword and you too will be able to deliver the full cut and thrust. Welcome to the gang. Of course you can always keep the cheque and spend ages explaining how you are drug ridden sinner and are truly sorry. How you will not transgress if given another chance. You may have to give up the opposite sex too-sadly. Frame the cheque, it looks great on the wall. The bigger the better.

And having once turned round, walks on,
And turns no more his head;
because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread."

"Thank you for making a fool of my situation God will bless you for all you have done to me for the past three months." [ With a certain amount of luck he will.]

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
on those who would do us harm."-George Orwell.
Lose 10 kgs of belly fat an hour with our weight loss programme
Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No offense to anyone, but I am still mystified Shocked as to how anyone can read this email and think it is anything but a scam.

When you get an email out of the blue from some unknown sender, aren't you already suspicious? After reading the meaningless and nonsensical wording of the message, don't you instantly begin to laugh and wonder if anyone actually believes it?

Certainly NO "experienced baiter" or experienced anything else could possibley be suckered by such stupidity.

I always hear people say "even the savviest reader can be taken" and similar nonsense. I just don't get it.

Sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way.
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you'd never heard of internet scams, were not that IT-savvy, and trusted people, you'd have a harder time seeing through it. And the English is not that bad for someone purporting to be from Thailand. If I could express myself that well in a foreign language, I'd be pretty proud of myself. Then there's the failure to understand banking processes. The average customer will not see the catch here, becuase they don't know that seeing the funds in your account does not equal all cleared and all is well. They see this offer, think they can pay in the cheque, and wait for it to clear before sending money, and they will be safe. That's not stupid, it's just not being aware of all the facts.

Scams have taken in professors and those with only basic educations, young and old, lawyers, doctors and the unemployed, white, black, Indian and Chinese alike. If you've never fallen for a good line, a bit of sharp practice or a trick ever in your life, then good on you, but maybe you could stand to be a little less judgemental about those who have.

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The people that you speak of whom are in danger of being fooled by this are by definition not "experienced baiters". I find it hard to believe that anyone experienced in baiting could fall for such a scam.

I agree that the average person is in danger of being fooled. News flash: "experienced baiters" are not average. At leas they are not average in their level of IT understanding, banking procedures, etc.

I belive my point still stands: No "experienced baiter" is ever going to be taken in by something such as this. That is all.
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, I see, so your point was that no experienced baiter would fall for it. I understand now. That'll be why you said this:

Jack B. S. wrote:
Certainly NO "experienced baiter" or experienced anything else could possibley be suckered by such stupidity.

My bad. Rolling Eyes

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jack B. S.,
I know that you've been here for only about 10 days, but surely you've read many of the threads by "experienced baiters" asking 'is this a scam'?

You may consider yourself worldly wise and all-knowing about scams and scammers but a little research will quickly show you that the cleverest people are taken in by scams so often.
There is no such thing as a typical victim.
Quite often education and experience mean nothing when one is confronted with the guise and cunning of a scammer.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope, I didn't mean it like that at all.

What I'm saying is that I am so new to this that I cannot understand how it happens.

All the scams I've seen are very transparent. Can someone show me one that isn't? Isn't this one obvious to everyone here?

I really didn't intend to be so insensitive. I can't think of a way to word what I'm thinking without sounding high and mighty.
DementedAngel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

People want to believe, plain and simple. They want to believe theyre helping some poor orphanage save some kids, they want to believe theyre helping a church be built to spread the gospel, they want to believe theyve won the lotto.

Goes on and on.

And, some of it is because theyre simply lonely. Especially true when it comes to the love scams that often end with "please cash my paycheck for me and wire me the money".

Think of it this way, in many ways it's not much different than all the people that give their monies to the various televangelists (Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, Oral Roberts when he announced God told him he'd be called up to the heavens if the Church didnt raise x amount of money, Jerry Falwell, Marjoe Gortner, Peter Popoff, etc.) Most of the people that donate to them are donating because the people give them hope, in one form or another. Just like the Nigerian scammers that provide hope of helping orphans, hope of wealth, etc.

One of the differences, of course, is that the 419 scammer is trying to bleed the person dry, whereas the televangelist is only trying to bleed 'em a little bit. And, when someone sends $ to a televangelist, they know that the $ is going to him/her and their supposed church, whereas with the 419scammer, the monies are believed to be going for something else (help orphans, etc) And, the televangelists dont murder their vics. - *sadly thinks of George* Sad So, not a perfect analogy between the two, but they both use the same basic tactic, offering hope.

And then there are the fake puppy for sale scams and the fake exotic pets for sale scams. List goes on and on.

When you read the stories of the vics (can find several pretty easily through google) it gets quite depressing.

All I know to tell ya (aside from what I've already written) is to go back to the stickys and reread, in particular Shiver's post in this one http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32877

Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, DementedAngel.

The "wanting to believe" does begin to explain.

It sounds to me that people are ignoring that little voice that is telling them something is wrong. I think I know some people that are like that. They are very caring people that prefer to believe a more rosey view of the world, but admit that they are frequently fooling themselves.

It's sad that people don't trust themselves more. Listen to that little voice.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond the way you did.
Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bread, Eight,

I hope this little exchange hasn't soured everyone from possibly mentoring me.

I'm in this for the long haul, and I want to learn.

C A Daver, I meant no disrespect directly at you. I'm sorry.
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, Jack, I have already got onto the mentor thing. Smile People often sign up for a mentor then don't return, so if you are not active for the first couple of weeks after signing up for a mentor, Cherrie will park the request. I noticed that this had happened to your request (if you look at your request, you'll see what I mean) so I have nudged Cherrie on your behalf. Smile

As for this "little exchange", I'll be frank; you came over as arrogant and judgemental, and I was not in the mood for another possible troll or know-it-all (of both of which we get plenty) playing wind-up. I've re-read this and your other posts, and I think I may have misjudged your intentions, for which I apologise. Let's start over, shall we? Smile

Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eight, I very much appreciate that.

However, you are correct. I have the tendency to be all the things you said, and looking back I can see that I was here. You have MY apologies for it and my gratitude.

You didn't have to nudge anyone for me. I'm already feeling loved, but thank you again.

Yes, let's start over. I'm looking forward to learning all I can.

Humbly yours...
Jack
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, Jack. Smile

My apologies also to C.A. Daver for hijacking the thread, but at least you got an answer to your question first. Smile

Bobo419
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Jack : I consider myself to be being blessed with an average brain, and think I can spot a scam a mile off... yet last month I bought some postcards from a girl claiming to collect money for the Make a Wish foundation (charity that enables terminally ill children to make one of their wishes come true). Two days later I read in the local paper that this organisation was warning about imposters... When I checked with the MaW-foundation, it turned out that I had been conned it because 1) no one of that description worked (volunteered) in my area, 2) the postcards I bought weren't used by them, 3) all volunteers apparently wore an I.D. badge...
This scam wasn't done over the phone or internet, but the principle is the same : cheat people out of money by deception. Some scams are easy to see through, others aren't. Some people are gullible, other's aren't. But it's not because you are gullible that you are stupid.
And even so : should stupid people be taken advantage of?

crime doesn't pay... but the hours are good !

Early to bed, early to rise
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
- and a milkman -
Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bobo,

I guess we're hijacking this thread further. Ah well. Sorry again, C A Daver.

In no way does anything I say take away from the black seething hatred I have for the lads.

Nor does it take away from my overwhelming sense of mercy and compassion for the victims of this scum.

I shall never waiver from my 14-plus years of commitment to my clients as well as the innocent public in general.

I can appreciate your position with the post card girl. I�m assuming that she came to your door? I�m also assuming it didn�t involve much money at all. If it had been over $100 or so, I�m betting you would have done the research FIRST.

But, to lose real money... I just don't get it.

Thanks for the response.
Jack
Bobo419
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jack,

Indeed, she came to my door and it was 15 Euro (about US$20), and yes, you're right in claiming that had it been $100, I'd have 'investigated' a bit more...
But, the fact is that many people are either too gullible, too stupid, too greedy (and possibly, in some instances, all combined), and the prospect of 'inheriting' millions blinds them : my point is not that they're stupid, gullible, or greedy, it's that I sense that your attitude seems to be : "hey, if you weren't that stupid, gullible and greedy, like me, this wouldn't have happened to you, so it's your own fault".
I think many scambaiters have, to a certain extent, a feeling of 'there but for the grace of God'...
Imagine being very shy, and not the most attractive guy, each month spending your overtime pay on Clearasil, and all of a sudden this georgeous blonde lady falls in love with you and desperately wants to see you (all you have to do is wire the visa fees, airline ticket fee etc etc)... Should the guy's naivety lessen the crime being commited?
I don't think so. These lads send hundred of thousands of emails, and if only 1% responds (which I think is still high...), they're in the money.
Do you not know any person who would fall for a scam like that?
I do.
Over here in Europe (don't know what part of the world you reside in), most people tend to think of Americans : right, you voted George Bush in, you deserve all you get. I tend to believe that people are entitled to their mistakes (even if it means voting in Bush Laughing )....
Anyway, good luck baiting.. kick 'em where it hurts

crime doesn't pay... but the hours are good !

Early to bed, early to rise
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
- and a milkman -
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic