SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

The Sponsor A Third World Child Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was listening to talkback radio this morning and heard a bloke complaining that he'd signed up for one of these schemes - you know, sponsor a child for $30 per month and help change their life, etc etc. He said that his credit card had been debited the $30 for a few months but suddenly he was asked to pay $150 because 'the child has died and the family needs to pay for a funeral'. Feeling sorry for them he coughed up and now apparently he's being asked to pay for ongoing medical expenses for other members of the family, a new roof to replace the old one lost in a storm, school books, yada yada. You get the drift.

I tried to call in and explain that it was almost certainly a scam but couldn't get through. I will email the show's host and give him a heads up anyway.

I know there are several genuine charities that run these Sponsor A Child schemes and they are perfectly legit. I'm guessing this bloke signed up with a bogus one and/or he's responded to a phishing email. Has anyone come across this one before?

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
icrighthruU
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had one complete with lovely website and all. It was before I found 419 and deleted it though. Less than a week ago
icepeople
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never heard of this. I'm not at all happy about it. I'm not surprised as there are people with absolutely no soul setting out trying to drain the souls of others as these sponsor a child scams would do, but it's an unhappy thought.
wanamaker
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My daughter has been sponsoring a child in africa for about 8 years. It seems legit. She gets mailed real pictures, not emails, report cards, stuff like that . I think too much work for a lad, but still after hanging around here for a month or so I will look a little deeper. Its sad that they parrallel genuine humanitarian efforts. But if its easy for them why not.
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are several perfectly legitimate child sponsor charities, WorldVision and Oxfam spring to mind, who do good work for deprived kids living in extreme poverty all over the world. They advertise on TV, radio and the printed press and they do a great job. When you sign up for these schemes you get a proper tax invoice/receipt and open lines of communication with the charity's administration. You can also cancel your contributions at any time, no questions asked.

What rang alarm bells for me was the fact that the sponsor was approached to pay additional money, allegedly for a funeral. As far as I know this is highly unusual practice and, cynic that I am, I immediately suspected a scam. I don't know the name of the charity involved in this story but it would not surprise me if the sponsor was approached via email to 'sponsor' a child for $30 per month, gave his details thinking it was one of the many legitimate organisations, and found himself paying for a lot more than he bargained for.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic