SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Met Police article on ZNET

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
HitchHiker
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone seen this? If it has already been posted then my apologies, please feel free to chastize me. It was posted on a car club forum I belong to.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6150817.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
"Our position has always been that cybervigilantism can have unfortunate consequences. Naming and shaming can target innocent people. The classic scenario was people (in Portsmouth) mistaking pediatricians for pedophiles. The same can happen on the Internet," Atkinson told ZDNet UK.
Shocked Shocked

Don't they have Google in Hampshire?

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The difficulty with cybervigilantism is this: You spam me to death--you send me viruses--so I finally lose patience and I send you back a virus. But the spam has been proxied through another country's health service--somebody opens the e-mail--and I've just blown that health service apart," Gibson told ZDNet UK.

Batten Down The Hatches People!

possible media backlash if this opinion spreads?

or am i thinking too much Confused

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We target people who WANT the email to come back to them, unlike the spammers. And we have a no-innocent-third-parties guideline. So that shouldn't apply.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say that as a news article it's a pretty poor effort, cut and pasted from mismatched quotes and verging on gibberish.

The quotes from - Ed Gibson, chief security adviser to Microsoft U.K - (deep intake of breath) are nothing short of bizarre. How does mention of the health service come into his argument, if it is an argument ? Is the health service specifically prone to being used by 419 scammers ? or does saying health service for no apparent reason lend weight to an argument of no substance ?

I note that the article is tagged with 'phishing' without there being any mention of it at all in the article. Looks like a pure google rating mission.

Anyone ever heard a person in favour of 419 scams ?

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
you send me viruses--so I finally lose patience and I send you back a virus. But the spam has been proxied through another country's health service

Which is a large part of the reason that Eater has a hard and fast rule against sending virii to scammers, of course. Rolling Eyes

I do find it amusing that most police departments make use of information provided to them by "snitches" who have criminal records a mile long, but shy away from iron clad proof of criminal intent/ acts provided by groups of law abiding citizens simply because someone decided to dub them "vigilantes".

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GomerPyle wrote:

Lads.

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That whole argument is just another way for the authorities to stick their heads in the sand and say 'we are doing all we can. You better let the experts handle it.' Then lump us in with anything else they can think. The virus thing has absolutely nothing to do with us or any anti-419 group we know.
Quote:
no guarantee that self-appointed guardians will have information good enough to target those responsible for crimes
We have already proven if they work with us and tell us what they need, we can provide that info. Of course they are the experts and we are just stupid cybernerds.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
BarneyG
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GomerPyle wrote:

I wanted to say "lots of lads" but weasel beat me to it Wink Laughing

Anyhow I could not agree more with all of the above Shocked Embarassed

Mrs. Damirez (Lottery scam): That sums up your person as been fraudulent. Our legal team have been instructed to bring criminal charges against you in the EU court.
Mrs. Damirez: We are just sick and tired with this cat and mouse game you have forced us into.
Mary Ray: the Investigation Authority will be after you and you know what that means.
Ogomegbunam:is there at any time or point in the future a need or requisition for blood ritual?
Safari x3
Mackilt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lets face it until the goverment wakens up and starts looking after its own instead of everybody else, they are not going to provide the funding and the expertise to the police to combat such problems as scammers(which is among a long list of items).
Until then its up to those who care and have a modicum of common sense to try and do their best.
I'm sure if Scotland Yard were to donate to the premium membership they would be welcome to join in the forums and give a bit of advice?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems to me that while many people know vaguely about internet scamming, including the cops, they have NO idea about the scale of it. To them it's just a few little old ladies sending off a few hundred dollars now and then. If people realised that this is a multi million dollar business they might regard it as the serious problem it is rather than a strange phenomenon on the itnernet.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately I think this one of those situations that wont change until a high profile celebrity or personality is either cleaned out or killed by scammers. We see this head in the sand attitude all the time with any issue the authorities can't or don't want to get a handle on.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic