SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

question for the hardware wizards

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

just how is the information stored on a HD with two disks?

I have a broken HD and bought a second of the same type.
now I'm planing to exchange the discs from one case to the other.
unfortunately it is impossible to install the discs with ecactly the same
rotation in respect to each other as they where when taking them out...

will this render them useless?

the blasted thing doesn't have to last forever, just long enough to read it once
and the data is not worth professional recovery

(I googled sectoring, but this describes only one disc)

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agi, hard disk drives are assembled in cleanrooms so particulate contaminants don't settle on the platters. The RW head to disk spacing is so small nowadays, that if a dust particle or fibre from clothing were present, would likely cause a nasty head crash and further damage the disk. Disassembly of the case is therefore not recommended.

You are likely to have success transplanting the electronics from a working hdd to one with bad electronics. However, the manufacturers often revise the design during the model's production run. So, not only will you need the same make and model drive to salvage parts from, you will very likely need one from the same batch or production run.

With all electronic devices, suitable anti-static precautions will need to be taken (grounded mat on work bench, antistatic wrist-strap....).

You will also find the screws bolts or fasteners used to hold the various components together have odd heads. The appropriate screwdrivers may be difficult to obtain Sad

In summary: If the problem is with the drive electronics, a transplant from a working unit will give you a reasonable chance to recover your data. If the problem relates to the RW heads, then opening the case and transplanting heads from a working unit might work but the risk of losing all the data is much higher.

HTH

7/9

Last edited by Seven of Nine on Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
somejerk
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I suppose you might have a chance at getting it to work. There's a video on youtube of a guy running an HDD without the cover, so if you work in a relatively clean room wearing gloves and work quickly, you could probably get most of the data back. And you have nothing to lose but an expensive hard drive.

Would it be possible/easier to transplant the electronics?
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

if you go down this road (and as others say, its dodgy) try to minimise particles etc by :
1. go into the bathroom, close the door/window and seal gaps/vents with duck tape.
2. run the bath/shower so that a lot of steam builds up.
3. let the water run away and wait for the steam to condense.

this will remove a lot of the dust particles from the air and means the disk might survive the process.

I got this from when I was looking into serious case modding and thinking about putting a perspex window into a HDD (I didn't bother in the end because the concensus was that even then it wouldn't last long).

get your baiting forms here
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@7/9
umm, let's say I know what I'm doing

I have swapped the electronics, outside and inside in a relatively clean room.
what I think the problem is, is the bearings on the part with the actual plates.
or the engine driving the plate. it looks as though the plates don't get enough speed, so the starting sequence is restarted over and over again.

Quote:
unfortunately it is impossible to install the discs with ecactly the same
rotation in respect to each other as they where when taking them out...

that is my only worry at the moment, for everything else it's too late

the HD inteior is self cleaning:
the spinning of the plates whipes the dust off and there is a filter in the path the air in the HD must take, so any particles left in there will be taken out b4
the heads move about the plates.

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

relatively clean room <> cleanrooms

class 100,000 (if your lucky in a well controlled environment) versus class 1,000 (bunny-suits)

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Usual failure mode for a HDD are blown bearings. This causes a wobble that induces the physical crash. The servo driving the platters gets rotational velocity from info written on the disk itself. Not getting this info indicates physical damage with a disk or very remotely a WR head.
Removing and replacing platters is a very mean trick but may be a meaningless exercise unless the problem is a RW head. Good luck.

In the future, change hard drives at the first sound of bearing failure or after your second failed surface sector scan.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
geezer810
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If it is able to spin up put in the freezer for a few hours. Have the kit ready to mirror or image the disk as soon as you take it out. I would simply try and copy across the really important stuff like your my docs folder rather than try to copy the whole disk but you might just get lucky.

Sounds ridiculous but is has got me out of the poo more than once. It wont last long after you power it up but maybe long enough to get what you need off it.

Rinse and repeat may also work if the task is not completed first time round.
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@geezer810

would have tried that before I opened it, though I'm not so shure how the bearings will take the cold Confused
now the humidity is probably going to condense on the disc

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It may be too late, and it's very expensive, but www.ontrack.com
Expect to pay around �1000.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Exchanging platters I would suggest, would be a complete waste of time in this particular case. I think in the last 20 years I have only had three HDs die on me, but I still run weekly backups to a spare HD and optical storage. For very important data, I make two backups and keep them well away from each other!

I think you're going to need professional help, however it will be very expensive, and perhaps the data isn't worth it.

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic