SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

First scam advice needed... $4000 check :) SCAMMER NAME?!?!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
poc301

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello to all. I have loved reading this board and the few others, but have always deleted the scammer emails I received. Until this last one. I was selling a fairly high-dollar item on Ebay and the winning bidder came out of nowhere and won the auction. The next day he was no longer a registered user. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and sent an email telling him where to Paypal the money. As soon as I got his reply, I knew he was a scammer. I was pissed off he ruined a good auction for me, so I decided to mess with him. (I have since sold the item to a real person). Here is the email :

BTW : I DO have a real mailing address, but I'd be damned if I'd give it to this guy. I used my P.O. box instead.

SCAMMER :

Sent : Friday, February 18, 2005 10:15 AM
To : [email protected]
Subject : payment and shipping arrangement

MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from web26610.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ([217.146.176.60]) by MC6-F7.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:15:37 -0800
Received: (qmail 75074 invoked by uid 60001); 18 Feb 2005 10:15:34 -0000
Received: from [193.220.45.28] by web26610.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:15:34 GMT
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jFrK8chJtBqeUiqDPThh1nLXbCqMj8uh4M=
Return-Path: [email protected]
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Feb 2005 10:15:37.0317 (UTC) FILETIME=[CA51C950:01C515A2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View E-mail Message Source
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hi,
Thanks for the mail I am indeed happy to hear from you
and to be the person purchasing your item. Wish to let
you know also that i will offere you $330, as for the
payment and shipping you have nothing to worry about.I
have spoken to my shipping agent who will be comming
for the pickup in your end.There is a client of mine
in the US who is owing me some funds in US DOLLARS, i
will instruct him to issue a check of $4,000 in your
name, you get the check cashed and deduct the cost of
the TurboSmart EBoost-40 Electronic Boost
Controller/Gauge (Item #7953733943), you then get the
remaining balance sent to my shipper via western union
money transfer.If this is okay by you I want you to
kindly get back to me asap with your full details
which the certified cashier's check will be sent to,
so that I can forward your contact details to my
client who will issue the check. Your urgent reply and
understanding will be highly appreciated.

NAME :
ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
HOME AND MOBILE PHONE NUMBER:

Best Regards,
Juvenile.
NB: I am given you compensation $50 and consider your
items sold for me. Hope to hear from you soonest.

ME:

I just wanted to thank you for the quick reply to the auction end. I also was curious if you really wanted to transfer the entire $4000 over here and have me do the transfer for you. I think it would just be easier to have them cut me a check for $330 plus shipping. Either way I will be glad to do whatever I need to.

My info :

NAME : Bill Garrett
ADDRESS: P.O. Box 336
CITY: Hebron
STATE: MD
ZIP CODE: 21830
HOME AND MOBILE PHONE NUMBER: No cell phone, and I had my home phone turned off due to financial reasons (which is why I am selling this boost controller).

Again, let me know if there is anything I can do to expedite the process.

Thanks,

Bill Garrett
[email protected]

SCAMMER:

To: Bill Garrett <[email protected]>
Subject: urgent reply needed asap!!!
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:52:59 +0000 (GMT)
Received: from web26601.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ([217.146.176.51]) by mc2-f1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:53:05 -0800
Received: (qmail 31230 invoked by uid 60001); 18 Feb 2005 17:52:59 -0000
Received: from [193.220.45.10] by web26601.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:52:59 GMT
X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpW85gaEMMvNtVw1oI14/T8xt6l0wp6EmDA=
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Feb 2005 17:53:05.0711 (UTC) FILETIME=[B2D653F0:01C515E2]

Thanks for the mail, there is know problem about this,
as soon as you receive a Certified cashier's check of
$5,000, and you have deduct your selling cost with the
$50 i compesated you, you will transfer the rest to my
shipper via western union money transfer, they will
come for the pick-up of the item in your location
immediately they receive the funds.
Note: You will have to deduct the western union
charges from the remaining funds you will transfer to
my shipper, also your contact home address will be
needed because they will not deliver to P.O BOX
address, with any contact phone number will be needed
asap. Looking forward to your urgent reply if you
understand this better.
Best Regards,
Juvenile.

ME:

Hello Juvenile,

I am trying to understand this correctly. In the original email you sent, you said you would send me $4000. This time you said $5000. I am assuming the original email was a typo. Please let me know if I have it right:

1) You send me a $5000 Certified Cashier's Check.
2) I remove $330 for the cost of the Boost Controller
3) I remove $50 for the kind bonus you will give me (thanks for that by the way, I can use the extra money)
4) I will then transfer $4620 through Western Union to your shipping people.

Why should I ship the money through western union to the shipping people when they will be meeting with me in person to pick up the Boost Controller? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if I just gave them the money in person when they come? Thay way nobody will need to pay Western Union charges? If you really want me to send it through Western Union, I will. I am just trying to save you some money, friend.

I see you live somewhere in the UK. Are you in England? I don't know how it is in the UK, but unfortunately where I live here in America, it is a very rural area. We don't have mailing addresses out here. Everybody uses P.O. Boxes at the local Post Office because there are very few people, and the postal staff doesn't have a mailman to deliver to each person's home.

I can understand that you might not want to send a check that big to a P.O. Box. There are a lot of people trying to steal money out there. But I guarantee you I am not trying to steal your money. The P.O. Box I gave you is registered to me, and has been for years. If you want to verify this, you can call the US Post Office here in Hebron, MD at : (800) 275-8777. The post office is open 8am - 5pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday. They can tell you that P.O. Box 336 is registered to me, Bill Garrett.

As I said, I do not have a telephone at the current time because it is expensive, and I can not currently afford to have one. That is why I am selling all the stuff from my turbo system, so I can pay off some debt and get my telephone and cable television turned back on. I will try to borrow a cell phone from a friend or family member to give to you in case you need to contact me.

I look forward to finalizing this deal.

Thank you,

Bill Garrett
[email protected]

SCAMMER:

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:30:10 +0000 (GMT)
Received: from web26602.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ([217.146.176.52]) by MC6-F19.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:30:11 -0800
Received: (qmail 91507 invoked by uid 60001); 18 Feb 2005 20:30:10 -0000
Received: from [193.220.45.12] by web26602.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:30:10 GMT
X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpW9uZ6aLmTzbr2yWGL42hWGPi6JvsvLLsA=
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Feb 2005 20:30:12.0009 (UTC) FILETIME=[A5594190:01C515F8]

Dear Bill Garrett,
Thanks for your understanding and honesty mail, you
are write with all the arrangement. I will want you to
please find a contact address if is your friend or
your any address you can pick-up the package from as
this is very important for you, the courier services
that will be bringing the check don't use to delivered
to P.O BOX address as i told you in my last mail, so i
will want you to find any address which is not P.O BOX
so that the courier services can deliver the check
safely. Your urgent reply will be highly appreciated
today.
Best Regards,
Juvenile.

NOTE : Now, I did my research on this board before I attempted this. I knew that I could do things my way, because he wants to scam me Smile So I decided to play hardball. And it worked! Smile I also began messing with him, figuring he was hooked. I began making up place names and in later emails, rambling about incoherent stuff.

ME:

Juvenile,

I am sorry to say, I will be unable to do this transaction then. All my family lives in Virginia and Delemark, and that is simply too far away from me to be able to get mail from.

I assure you that the P.O. Box I gave you is my P.O. Box, and the only way I can possibly get mail where I live. If you are unable to do business with me, I will have to cancel our deal. I will re-list the Boost Controller on Ebay, and I am sure one of the other bidders would be glad to buy it.

If I don't hear back from you in the next day or so, I will go ahead and assume you can't do business with me at my P.O. Box, and will re-list the item for sale.

I appologize for any inconvenience, but this is really the only way I can get mail here in Maryland.

Thank you again,

Bill Garrett
[email protected]

SCAMMER:

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:55:44 +0000 (GMT)
Received: from web26604.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ([217.146.176.54]) by mc4-f28.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:55:45 -0800
Received: (qmail 54351 invoked by uid 60001); 19 Feb 2005 12:55:44 -0000
Received: from [193.220.45.14] by web26604.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:55:44 GMT
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jGbp9xMFRJbDFHOvW7nYYGRJmvWBTA0hlk=
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Feb 2005 12:55:45.0736 (UTC) FILETIME=[53CBEC80:01C51682]

Dear Bill Garrett,
Thanks for the mail respond, my client just
contacted me that there is know problem about that,
that he will take care of how he will deliver the
check to your P.O BOX address. I hope everything is
okay by you? looking forward to hear back from you
soonest.
Best Regards,
Juvenile.

ME:

Juvenile,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad your dude decided to ship to my P.O. Box. I really didn't want to have to relist the item on Ebay. I was going to leave you some padonkadonk feedback on your account, but it was no longer active. I guess I'll do it some other time.

So how long will it be until I can expect the check to arrive? And when will the shipping company come to pick up the Boost Controller? I still have to lubricate its crunk joint and possibly add some oil to the hyperaduerical chamber. I can also change the gasket on the prophylactic flange too if you like, although I am 99% sure the current one will be fine for however much boost you will be running. I will do all this work on the Boost Controller tonight and it will be dry and ready to ship tomorrow or the next day.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car do you have that you will be installing this on? Also, do you have a SP3492 or a PSRC-3004? If you do have a RFKA175, you may need to install an additional Strapalactic Dongle Drive as well. But I'm sure you are up on that.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bill Garrett
[email protected]

SCAMMER:

Subject: update!!!
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:28:58 +0000 (GMT)
Received: from web26609.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ([217.146.176.59]) by mc9-f42.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:29:00 -0800
Received: (qmail 2587 invoked by uid 60001); 22 Feb 2005 08:28:58 -0000
Received: from [213.255.211.132] by web26609.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:28:58 GMT
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jEHjJx36Oi8+Z3TmmkSEdPtfpLB7P/ybN8=
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 22 Feb 2005 08:29:00.0354 (UTC) FILETIME=[8F15B220:01C518B8]

Dear Bill Garrett,
Thanks for your email.I will like to notify you that i will not be able to get in touch with you for some days as my wife pregnancy is due for the delivery and i was told by the doctor that she should be putting to bed any time from now.The doctor told me that she will need to be admitted in the hospital tommorrow to relief her from stress and also for good prenatal care until she puts to bed probably by end of this week, therefore i will have to be with her and also take care of the other kid since there mother will not be around.Therefore i might not get the chance to email you until you have the check But i will need you to do me a favour do notify me via email immediately you get the check. I will be looking forward to read back from you today to be sure you get this email.
Best regards,
Juvenile.

ME:

Juvenile,

Congratulations on having another child! I know you must be really excited. I hope you have a healthy child with all its fingers and toes. There is an American proverb I was told : "Don't let a child with six fingers and six toes go, for surely they are the spawn of Bealzibub. Thyne musteth snuff thy lifeth from thyne spawn of the netherworld before it smites thee and stealeth thyne livestock."

It probably means more to Americans, but I am sure you get the drift.

I hope your wife gives you a strong healthy son, and I will look for the check in the mail every day after work. I will email you as soon as it arrives, and can get the information on where to Western Union the rest of the money.

Thank you!

Bill

And that is it. I'm expecting the check to arrive in the mail today or tomorrow.

My big question, is how should I end this?! Do I send a nasty picture to him? Do I put off emailing him with a reply? I want to make it a pain in the butt for him, but I'm at a loss as to what to do...

Thanks for reading.

Bill

Last edited by poc301 on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeartBreak
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As others will undoubtedly say, under no circumstances are you to cash the check!!!!! It will bounce on you, and you could possibly be arrested. I'd recommend burning the check (or a photocopy of it, see below), or at the very least, turning it over to the bank it 'was' drawn on so they can investigate it.

Or, if you really want to get creative, you can send him a picture of the check on fire (man, that really was a hot check!)...

The end result is, it's up to you how you want to mess with this lad, but in the end, don't play their game - instead, make 'em play yours Smile.

Welcome to the 'eater, You'll fit in nicely here Wink.

Also, if you haven't done so already, hop on over to the help section, and grab a mentor - Not only will you learn a lot, you'll also make a great friend.

~HB

N/B: MY NAME IS ADAMS ABUBAKAR AND NOT ABADABADO...OK.

"I have been very busy but i have gotten the form which i have been waiting for and i am feeling it up while i write to you in good faith" - Dr. Harry Charles

Seen in an Abacha email;
ATLAS OIL NIGERIA LIMITED
(A Subsidiary of Abacha real estates)

Banks: Benin x 1
poc301

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't plan on cashing the check Smile I am going to copy it and probably frame it on a shelf. Something to show my friends Smile

I just checked out the tracking number the scammer used to ship the check to me (DHL). It says the package originated from a Mark Lawey in Charleston, SC...

Is this an accomplice in the US?

Thanks.

Bill
HeartBreak
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would say most likely, but it could also be someone attempting to scam people on their own.

Then again, I remember a case some time ago where the scammer tried to scam a trucker out of a CB radio. The kid got the CB, but never paid. The trucker, on the other hand, showed up on the kids door and beat the daylights (or killed, I don't remember at the moment) the kid.

You definately want to be careful, since the scammer has your address. Your best bet; call the authorities in your area. If they won't do anything about it, report it to the feds (since it's interstate). They love this kind of thing.

"I have been very busy but i have gotten the form which i have been waiting for and i am feeling it up while i write to you in good faith" - Dr. Harry Charles

Seen in an Abacha email;

hhv01
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
.......My big question, is how should I end this?! Do I send a nasty picture to him? Do I put off emailing him with a reply? I want to make it a pain in the butt for him, but I'm at a loss as to what to do...

Bill, as said before by previous readers: don't touch that cheque!!

I had, BTW, a similar scam recently. The platform wasn't, however, eBay but one of those garage sale billboards (eBay does mean seller's fees, unfortunately).

After my lad's payment proposal ran in, which was the same stuff with that "US customer who still ows me $-blah-blah" I gladly accepted but unfortunately were just preparing myself for an overseas journey. - I wouldn't be at home when the cheque arrives, so to have the business cleared I'd like to return the overpaid amount via Western Union in advance.

This hooked him. From that moment, the Western Union security procedure took place. Seems to work all the time, maybe I write me a script for it.

That
HeartBreak
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just re-read the initial post. Good and smart by using a P.O. Box. You could send him a picture that I use in the backgrounds for my fake articles (search google's images for 'head up the ass') - That'll garentee a laugh or three. Laughing

Seen in an Abacha email;

gugs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tell him you allready sold the stuff for a better price and that you cashed the cheque and you bought an aeroplane simulator with that money and you won't send the money to the shipper, because there is nothing to ship! Smile
gugs
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic