SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Identifying your SCAMMERS

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Carolina
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got a scam email. They gave me some information and I decided to google a name and I think I identified the scammer.

He has a instragram account. He is from Nigeria yet he doesn't mention it openly.

There is something particularly odd about his account and the people who reply to his posts. Some of them use the same code on his bio, it's like a hashtag. And it is related to the name they gave me.

Can I post this here? I mean.. I am not 100% sure the guy on the instagram account is the scammer. But some facts make me believe he is.

I am new here and I am not sure if this is forbidden. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Bertje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Carolina

Welcome to Eater.

Chances are that the account you found is not a 'real' account. Scammers use social media extensively. It's probably a fake name.

Our friends over at scamwarners.com are more adept at sharing information about different types of scams to warn possible (future) victims. It would be a good idea to check if the email(s) you received are already posted there, and if not to do so.

Here we deal with waisting the scammers time and resources, and having a little fun doing so.

You could also post the emails here, in the Surplus section of the forum. If you do post, please do not only post the Insta account, but include 'proof' that this is in fact a scam/scammer.

Send your calvary greetings | What is a mentor? | Get a mentor | Forum Rules

Safari x3 Vcamera Closed lad accounts Cellphone Mortar Whip Jack Boot Inventor
Golden Pith Lucky (w/Sparky, MrMystery & Birlic) Lagos-Togo, Lagos-Bamako, Bamako-Siguiri
Bertje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, do not ever contact the scammer using your 'real' details. Like email, name etc!

Golden Pith Lucky (w/Sparky, MrMystery & Birlic) Lagos-Togo, Lagos-Bamako, Bamako-Siguiri
Padme

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I'm reading your message correctly, however if I miss something, let me know.

You received a scam email -- a typical 419 letter? Yes, you may post that, with headers (in your email, you should have an option such as view, view headers) in the Surplus Letters Forum. Also, as BertjeAass said, please post it on scamwarners.com also as that helps warn potential victims.

You found an Instagram that might or might not be his? Do not post that. We do not post anything here unless it is a verified scam.

Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Sand Timer x2 Vcamera Acra>Sngpre Acra>Dkr>Rsso>Bmko>Kpndo>Ctnu -Team Woody
Safari Sand Timer Akure>Kano -Amos
Safari x8 Sand Timer x2 Vcamera Owerri>Maiduguri>Owerri>Lagos>Lomé>Bmko>Kolokani Bmko>Nioro>Bmko>Timbuktu>Bmko>Youri Bmko>Mauritania>Kidira>Dakar>Jail -Team Godwin
Safari 's - assorted West Africa safaris, Cyril w/ Spindrift, France-Dublin w/ DSW
Easter 2015 Mortar Closed lad accounts Jack Boot Whip Whip Vcamera Mc Fry Goat Santa Flying Monkey
Carolina
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Verified Scam? So you need to be scammed in order to post here?

Or how exactly you verify a scam email?
Bertje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ I think you misunderstood Padme,

You don't have t be scammed to post here, but you said in your post:

Quote:
I am not 100% sure the guy on the instagram account is the scammer

As a rule, we make sure that the people we target are 100% sure scammers. If we are uncertain, we don't engage.

If you still have the original email, can you please post it in the Surplus 419 Scam Letters forum (with headers)? Then we could take a look.

Carolina
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He clearly wrote:

"We do not post anything here unless it is a verified scam."

So my question again is how you verify?

I don't see the misunderstanding!

And now you are assuming I want to engage with the guy on instagram. Who said that? I just want to post the email, the information they sent me and the instagram profile just in case someone wants to see his face. And the way they work. Which, BTW, is not documented here!
Bertje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Being less snarky to the people that want to help and explain might be a good idea.

Just posting an Instagram account does not tell anything about a scam...you even say yourself you are not sure that it's the scammer.

This is why I asked if you could post the original email, so w can take a look.

I am still happy to help and answer your questions. You can also PM me if you prefer.

Also, Padme is a she (as far as I know) Smile

Last edited by Bertje on Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bware419ers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whoa. Slow down. Let's all take a deep breath and look at a few important things.

Padme (she) began with this:
Padme wrote:
I think I'm reading your message correctly, however if I miss something, let me know.

To be clear, Carolina wrote the following:
Carolina wrote:
I think I identified the scammer.

Carolina wrote:
I am not 100% sure the guy on the instagram account is the scammer.

Can you post here? Yes! Please do. Can you post the instagram account? Absolutely not - there is no evidence that it belongs to a scammer, as you said. You may believe it might be him, but if the account is not being used for fraud, those details may not be posted.

I don't believe there is any assumption that you want to engage with the guy. Bertje was merely stating our members do not engage with those we cannot prove are scammers.

We are a worldwide community, and often times things are lost in the written word, including nuance. If the email shows proof of the scam, by all means, post it as suggested. But, since there is no evidence the Instagram is connected or being used for fraud, those details are not allowed.

I hope that's a bit clearer.

Welcome to Eater.

Golden Pig Vcamera Closed lad accounts X 7035
The Church of the Old Gods Sand Timer Safari X 17 Tattoo
Goat Mortar Flying Monkey Mc Fry Jack Boot Easter 2015 Santa Whip

Black Ribbon "FFS." - Capone
Black Ribbon - Toomuchfun
Black Ribbon - Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic