SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New Windows Scam (new to me, at least)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Captu4ik
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've experienced the Microsoft Windows scam, where the scammer calls on the phone and tells you that you have a virus, and he will assist in removing it while on the phone. I got a laugh out of that. But today I experienced a new twist on that ...

I visited a site I'd never been to before, to watch a first run movie, online. And suddenly BAM ! I was assaulted by an official looking Windows warning message, telling me my Computer had been infected with a terrible virus, which would corrupt all my data IF I CLOSED MY BROWSER. So I closed my Browser. I use Avast (paid-for version), and it hadn't given any warnings, so I knew it was all a total scam. The warning message was accompanied by a female voice warning me not to close my browser, but to call the telephone number listed in the warning box immediately.

I got the info from the address bar, before I closed the browser window :
http://<Snipped link. No need to leave it where someone else will click it - bware419ers> .

Since I know how to send abuse reports, I am going to kill this site.

New Zealand Russia United Kingdom Cayman Islands Austria Cambodia Flag Netherlands Nigeria South Africa United States Panama Benin France Filipino flag Switzerland Ukraine Ghana United Arab Emirates Ivory Coast Belgium Germany Spain Brazil Canada Switzerland Thailand Australia Indonesia European Union Togo Malaysia Burkina Faso Turkey Hong Kong Cayman Islands Romania Italy Spain Flag Monaco UG ??? China Sweden UK Afghanistan GB Mynamar Flag Argentina SR KU CY SC AZ MA SO CU CHAD = Over 2,000 sites killed, but who's counting ?
MorganleFay
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have had something similar on my laptop, without the voice and many times on my 'phone, the latter purporting to come from Google, informing me that I have four dangerous viruses on my device, which are causing it damage. As I have good antivirus protection on both devices, I have always ignored them, but they are irritating.

I wonder how many people are panicked into responding to the 'alerts' as directed?
Captu4ik
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It scared me for about a half of a second, but when the anti-virus software remained calm, I realized it was a scam.

I reported this to the Hoster/Registrar, Amazon, and have not, as yet, heard back from them. The site is still extant ...

Here is a screenshot :
Image resized to prevent forum blowout - bware419ers

New Zealand Russia United Kingdom Cayman Islands Austria Cambodia Flag Netherlands Nigeria South Africa United States Panama Benin France Filipino flag Switzerland Ukraine Ghana United Arab Emirates Ivory Coast Belgium Germany Spain Brazil Canada Switzerland Thailand Australia Indonesia European Union Togo Malaysia Burkina Faso Turkey Hong Kong Cayman Islands Romania Italy Spain Flag Monaco UG ??? China Sweden UK Afghanistan GB Mynamar Flag Argentina SR KU CY SC AZ MA SO CU CHAD = Over 2,000 sites killed, but who's counting ?
capn_skam
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am a one-man IT shop in a small town, and I can tell you that I see this type of scam a *lot*. Just today, as I walked into a church to pick up a check from them, the secretary is on the phone while someone else is on her system - Shocked - I can see the mouse moving, and a couple windows open.
I figured she was talking to the people who they buy their church management software from, until she handed me a printed screengrab which had that "scary" message on it.
I immediately took the phone from her and gave the guy a bunch of grief before hanging up on him and killing the network connection on the system.
Logged in via Citrix, he was showing her the Event Log errors (a common tactic) and demonstrating to her that they could not be deleted (on a one-by-one basis), saying they were coming from the many viruses on her system...

She is far from the first. Usually, if I can get the scammers phone numbers, I'll call them back acting as if I was a victim on a return call, and waste their time acting like like a clueless idiot (if they say "Cick the Start button", tell 'em you did and then the whole system shut off, because now it has no power, etc etc...).
I'd like to mess with them some more, which is why I came back to the 'eater today after a long hiatus. Hard to believe I joined here 10 years ago. Smile

Anyway - can one of you more experienced 'baiters point out the best way to call these guys anonymously? I remember people doing that on some of the better baits, using call services and such, but it has been so long I have forgotten the exact technique/process. I figured someone here would know, point me in the right direction, or have some good ideas.

Thanks!

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can always use a "burner" phone. But, even though this isn't a 419 scam, I'm sure someone around here knows how to mask the number you're calling from.

And welcome back!

...you cannot kill me of Innocency....! - Reverend Mark Obum

Well, is now getting to a point which you're searching for the other side of me, and if you don,t reason well, you will surely see it from me. - Steve Jobs, Commander in Chief
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic