SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Looking to get back at a scammer

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mbkbaddog
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So a few months ago, I was tricked by someone who posed as a business man that claimed to be able to provide me with a unique customized item that wasn't available in stores. Long story short, he tricked me into wiring a little over $2000 over to him, and the only other stuff he has is my parents home address, and my real name, but does not have any bank account info, or other stuff that can be of harm for me money wise. I wish to become a scambaitor and keep him from harming others (and maybe see if I could get his identity revealed so I can share it with the cops) by stalling him. First off I wanna know if my reasons of joining are selfish, or if it's justified? and if so, should I create a fake persona, or just lead him into thinking I am still willing to give him more money? He does still try to contact me every so often in hopes of tricking me, but I have been ignoring him. I know I don't have any chance of getting my money back, but I feel like I can at least keep him from scamming others some.
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi and welcome here. Very Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you were a victim to a scam. The best course of action for you to take right now is not to bait this scammer. In fact, we highly recommend that you permanently stop all contact with this scammer.
You can report this to the law enforcement, and we do encourage people to report, but unfortunately, there's pretty much zero chance of him being arrested or you getting your money back.
One place you can report this is to the FBI internet crimes complaint center: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

You can also post the information (name, email address) the scammer was using, with proof of the scam, at our sister site, http://ScamWarners.com , so that it will show up in searches and help alert other people in hopes they see the truth before they lose money.

If you're interested in learning to scambait, please read the information in the scambaiting help forum so you can learn to bait with all anonymous info, and again, we don't recommend baiting the same scammer you lost money to.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
mbkbaddog
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info, might I ask why you don't recommend baiting the guy that scammed me?
BigBeautifulBaiter
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I understand you are much too close/invested in the situation to think rationally.

In addition, the scammer does have some real life information from you. Why even take the risk that he or someone he is working with could cause harm to your family.

It is better to move on and learn how to protect yourself in the future. Welcome to 419eater, baiting can be pretty interesting to say the least

"THEY ASKING FOR ONIONS AND GRAMS WHICH IS MEANT FOR THE INITIAL DEPOSIT FEE"
"nothing good can ever come out from stupid dawn and his family"
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BigBeautifulBaiter is accurate. You're personally invested and the scammer has your information.

It can be funny to mentally torment a scammer to the point that he sends death threats if you're using all fake info and you know there's no connection to your real life. It's not so funny if he knows who you are.
Remember, this person is a criminal, and most scammers work with associates in many countries, not just their country of origin.

Better safe than sorry. Revenge on a scammer can take the form of anonymously posting his info at ScamWarners. It will be heartwarming for you if another member later joins and says "Thank you, your info saved me from sending money!", and it happens on a regular basis.

If you'd like to join the cause against Advance Fee Fraud, there are thousands of other scammers just like yours to bait.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
mbkbaddog
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So then trying to annoy him as myself is a bad idea, got it. What if I were to use an entirely different (fake) identity, pretend to be interested, and lure him using entirely fake info? Would that be too risky if he doesn't know it's me? I dunno, it just seems like it might be fun, but if you guys say not to, then I won't.
Mattaz
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

Like Ima Baeder and BigBeautifulBaiter already told you, it's not a good idea to start baiting this scammer. Even if you use a fake ID. The chances that you are the one who will be annoyed and frustrated are very high in my opinion. That's definitely not what you want!

Ser Davos
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sorry that these circumstances brought you to eater. You have every right to take this personal and nobody will blame you for wanting to get back at this scammer.

There is a saying that I believe applies to your situation.

Living well is the best revenge.

This means that you are focused on creating opportunities for yourself without letting somebody else get in your way. And to be honest, I think that you are doing a fantastic job of this by asking questions and deferring to people with more experience.

Now this doesn't mean that you can't get back at the person who scammed you. If you post the details of the scam at scamwarners.com you will do more damage than any baiter could. Our goal here is to prevent this from happening again, and you can help us do that.

United KingdomSouth AfricaUnited StatesCanadaAustraliaChinaPanamaIndonesiaTurkeyGhanaThailandKenyaNigeriaBrazilUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesGermanyAlgerian FlagcameroonBeninMalaysiaSwitzerlandBelgiumAfghanistanNetherlandsCambodia FlagTogoSpainColumbia

Safari Prosper: Lagos>Bamako>Timbuktu with the Onion smugglers, TLH, and Jojobean

Isn't being a nerd all about being passionate about something that's inconsequential?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic