SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Favorite Eater Recipes

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Haven't had a chance -- been trying to use up stuff in the pantry and now we are preparing for Tropical Storm Debbie, I will be making some this week to have on hand for easy cooking should we lose power and need something quick to heat up over the camp stove.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking for a good twist on guacamole. I usually use the standard garlic, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, onion, cilantro and tomato thing. This will be toping some cold shredded chipotle chicken. Any ideas?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^No, but I will take 5 pints of your original.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/guacamole/index.html

EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK SALAD

I am not much on measuring stuff --

Couple cups of cooked pasta (shells, macaroni, etc)

Chop up all the fresh veggies you have in your frig. I usually have:

zucchini
summer squash
onions
olives
capers (no need to chop or slice)
carrots
celery
green/red peppers
non Jalapeno peppers
pimento
black olives
etc etc etc

Sprinkle a little sea salt over the chopped veggies. You will want more veggies than pasta. This makes a good salad if you are short on pasta which is what happened for a picnic recently. Now everyone in the neighborhood wants the recipe and what do I call it -- EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK of course.

Mix all together using mayonnaise (homemade or Hellmans)

or

use Italian dressing

or a bit of both

Refrigerate

Now I am off to the bait shop (code for beer bar on the Gulf side) with Kitchen Sink Salad. "Boat launch" is code for beer bar on the River side!

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cherry soup with 'floating islands'

Goes well with a glass of Moscato d'Asti, e.g. Saracco or Morelli. Chicks dig that shit.

Cherry soup is a great way to get rid of large quantities of cherries. It can be served hot and cold. If done right, it's refreshing and doesn't make you as fat as most desserts. If done wrong, make sure there are at least as many toilets and/or buckets as there are guests.

If you've ever been at a French family celebration, you're practically guaranteed to have encountered those floating islands, or îles flottantes. In my opinion they're a bit boring by themselves but can be used to pimp other desserts.

The combination of those two things is quite nice.

You need - for the soup:
600g sweet cherries
200g sour cherries
- or -
800g sweet cherries
1 lemon (zest / juice)
- plus -
2dl dry white wine
50g sugar
1tbsp starch
Basil or rosemary to decorate

You need - for the floating islands:
4 egg whites
1 pinch of salt
2 tbsp powedered sugar
2 vanilla pods
5dl of milk

The soup:
Cut the cherries in half and remove the stones. (This shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes. Wink )
Put into pot, add wine and 2dl of water.
Heat up and let simmer for 4-5 minutes or however long it takes for the wine smell to mostly evaporate.
If needed, add lemon juice as replacement for sour cherries.
Add sugar until it tastes just about right.
Dissolve starch in a bit of brew and add to soup.
Boil briefly and take of the stove to cool off.
(Put in fridge when cooled off enough.)

While this looks a lot like the English recipe for practically everything - "throw into water, boil, serve lukewarm" - note that we're using wine here instead of water. Alcohol does in fact improve most cooking.

The islands:
Put egg whites, salt, powdered sugar and whatever you can scrape off those vanilla pods into a bowl. Beat until very solid (it shouldn't move when you turn the bowl on its head).
Heat milk in a large pot but take care not to let it boil.
Use a large spoon to cut off a bit of the solid egg white and poach it in the hot milk for 4-5 minutes. Flip once after 2-3 minutes.
Put islands on a plate and let them cool down in the fridge.

x

White pieces of egg white swimming in white milk. They're in there somewhere, I swear.

When everything is nice and cool, fill a small bowl with soup, put an island on top and garnish with a bit of basil or rosemary.

I know what it looks like. Just cover the islands in soup and tell the kids these are monkey brains. They'll eat every last bit of it!

Variations:

The floating islands are normally covered in caramel, which makes them much less bland and boring. Use fresh sugar, not the stuff from the plastic bottle.
In fact, you can add virtually any kind of taste (or food colouring) to the egg whites. Try pink or blue!

Cherry soup can be served hot or cold. I prefer mine cold, but your taste may differ.

For a slightly more refreshing taste, add lemon juice and zest.

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Lazy southern method --->

Open can of cherry pie filling
Put in small cups
Use cool whip or canned whipped cream to spray on
Add sprig of something.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Corona - Your Black Bean Soup is a lot like the one I make every year the day after Christmas except I use ham instead chicken. We always have a big bone-in ham for dinner on Christmas eve. A day or two after Christmas, I trim off whatever meat is left on the bone and cut it into bite-sized chucks. Then I put the ham chunks and the bone in a crock pot (with the other ingredients you listed) and let it cook all day on low heat. I usually mash up some of the beans to make the soup a little thicker. The bone is what makes the soup super flavorful.

Here is my contribution... This is a huge favorite at our house. I just kind of eyeball the proportions of ingredients and adjust to taste so feel free to experiment until it is to your liking.

SALSA
2 - 15 oz. cans of Stewed Tomatoes
1/8 - 1/4 fresh Onion (I usually use Vidalia onions but any fresh onion will do)
5 - 10 sprigs of fresh Cilantro
Juice from 1/8 - 1/4 fresh Lime
5 - 10 slices of pickled Jalapeno Peppers
Splash of the jalapeno pickling juice (start with a small amount, you can always add more as needed)
~ 1 tablespoon Salt
~ 1 teaspoon White Pepper

Prep Time: About 10 minutes.

You will notice I highlighted the word "fresh" above. These fresh ingredients make all the difference between crappy, store-bought salsa and a really good salsa. You can use fresh jalapeno if you want but I like the flavor the pickling juice adds to the mix.

We like our salsa kind of chunky with a pretty sharp, spicy "bite" and not too liquidy so adjust the prep method to suit your taste. Here is how I make mine:

Drain the stewed tomatoes (if you like a very liquidy salsa, don't drain the tomatoes). Chop the onion to whatever size chunk you like. Strip the leaves from the cilantro and discard the stems. Squeeze the lime to add the juice to the mix. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for only 2 to 3 seconds - just enough to chop up the tomatoes a little bit and to mix the ingredients. If it is too chunky for your taste, blend for a few more seconds until you like the texture.

Take a taste. The tomatoes are rather sweet so add a little more salt until the sweetness has been reduced to your liking. If you want a little more spicy "bite" to the salsa, add another splash of the jalapeno pickling juice and/or another slice or two of jalapeno pepper. A little more lime juice will also add "bite". When you adjust the ingredients, stir them in, don't do it in the blender or your salsa will be mushy - OK if you like it that way, not good if you want chunky.

When you're happy with the taste and texture, pour in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors "marry". The few hours of wait time makes a BIG difference in the flavor so don't skip that step. Taste before serving to be sure you are happy with the result. You can make minor adjustments if necessary.

Great as a dip with tortilla chips or as a topping for your favorite Mexican dish. Enjoy!

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"there is something fishery going on", "You people are all Junks", E. Kaba
"Go and face your dumb life", J. Mathin
"You are not well trained as a human being...", M. Tony
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Koko's "Cherry Experiment" (Frozen for a summer treat. Inspired by Bankster's "Cherry soup" in the first image)

Ingredients:
Cherries
1 Banana (sliced)
1 Jonagold apple (sliced very small)
1 tablespoon of Ålborg/Aalborg Akvavit
1 cup of water
2 cups of "Diet Watermelon Tea" (Lipton)
1 Blueberry tea bag (of the Celestial Seasons variety)
Madhava Agave Nectar "Raw"
A spritz of lime juice

Cut the cherries and remove the stones, then slice the banana and Jonagold apple (it can be any apple you want but that's the only type in the house at the moment), and then pour 2 cups of "Diet Watermelon Tea", 1 tablespoon of Ålborg/Aalborg Akvavit and 1 cup of water together and then put the sliced apple, banana and cherries in a pan (like the one shown on Bankster's photo), spritz with lime and bring to boil on medium.

Once it has started to boil add the agave nectar (squeeze a consistent amount, depending on how sweet you want it) and then blueberry tea bag and lower the heat to medium low-low and stir the mixture and then put the heat back to medium and stir occasionally.

Once you can tell that the teabag looks "used up" then you will squeeze the last bit of it (with gloves on course, unless you like getting burned. Wink ) and dispose of the tea bag.

Turn off the heat and put the finished product into a bowl, container, etc and put aluminium foil or plastic wrap over it and place into the freezer for 3-4 hours (or until frozen)

Edit: Here are the photos I took while cooking it. I will take another photo of the finished product in about and hour or so and tell you all how it turned out.
http://scamwarners.com/main//guestupload/52084cookingexperiment1.jpg
http://scamwarners.com/main//guestupload/39974cookingexperiment2.jpg
http://scamwarners.com/main//guestupload/4786cookingexperiment3.jpg

Edit 2: Here are the results. It looks disgusting but tastes great.
http://scamwarners.com/main//guestupload/99845cookingexperimentresult1.jpg
After being placed into a cup:
http://scamwarners.com/main//guestupload/20120709173155_cookingexperimentresult2.jpg

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Raga Man, I will have to try the soup with ham, sounds yummy!

And will try some of these other recipes.

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@koko Now that I know there is liquor in that recipe I will definitely try it (hic).....sounds great for summer

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Master
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ Butter and lemon juice in the pan. Sear scallops for about 15 seconds each side. add a small sprinkle of mint.

Safari it was all a big fuck of disappointed
you are the fooliest baboom!
Closed lad accountsMortarSand TimerSand TimerSand TimerTattooVcamera
You are dead MUMU!!!!
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a bunch of ripe eggplant and am trying this today, I'll report the results.

http://www.ellesnewenglandkitchen.com/blog/2011/7/28/portland-eggplant-veggie-burgers.html

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Now that sounds good. I would wager that Mr. Picky-Eater-in-the-House will grip about that, but I am trying it.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^They were good. I served them on a toasted whole grain bun with a spicy mayo, tomato slice and spinach, with some Feta for those that wanted a cheeseburger. I added some cumin to give a smoky taste since I pan fried them. The Panko crumbs will add more than enough salt, if you use store bought Panko.

Tips:

Make the patties thin, otherwise they fall apart.
Another binder may help, egg?
I left the skin on the eggplant and gave a few pulses in the processor after it softened, the skin is where all of the flavor in eggplant is.
I added some diced mushroom to the mix.
I left out the store bought "hamburger seasoning", it's 90% salt anyway.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

New Way to Grill Potatoes

We rid ourselves of the grill that you use propane with and went back to charcoal.

Take large potatoes and slice them longways (lengthwise I guess) so the slices are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Put them on the grill (barby) and grill til done.

A chef on t.v. recommended this way and he uses them in potato salad, but we ate them "as is" and I put some sour cream and shredded cheese on my with sea salt and black pepper.

@PF Wonder if one could grill radishes using one of those baskets we put shrimp on to grill......

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Squash soup, I just made this up today, it was great.

Peel and half some tart apples (I used Haralson) and a few onions. Lightly salt and toss on light coat of olive oil. Throw on a tray in a 400 degree oven to roast and soften, about a half an hour. Remove and set aside.

Peel and quarter and seed a winter squash of your liking. Rub down with olive oil, lightly salt and roast on the same tray for about 90 minutes, depending on the size, or until lightly brown and soft, turning half way through. You can roast the apples and onions at the same time and remove when done, I didn't but I had all day to cook.

Process all with a blender or food processor until smooth. (Also add some garlic before blending if you like, I did)

Transfer into a pot and add a little nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and what ever else you like. I also added some milk and chicken stock to smooth it out. Heat and let simmer until you like it.

Serve with crusty bread and a cold beer.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds great! ^^. Printed it out to try. I like the idea of apples n onions. And I have some Jonathan apples ready to be put in some recipe. Got them straight from the Ohio orchard when I was up there recently.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^I have a friend with a few Haralson trees, he let's me have all I want. I put up a bushel for the winter. I used some of the culls from that stash for this soup.

Edit: I also added some toasted walnuts to each bowl of soup when serving.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some good stuff in here...

http://www.saveur.com/article/kitchen/150-Classic-Recipe-Index

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If anyone has any good recipes that are wheat free or gluten free, I would love to have them since I am not able to eat wheat or gluten products. It sure has changed the way I eat, but I feel so much better now.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
El Capitan Borracho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

El Capitan's Alitas de Pollo con Salsa Suicida
(Chicken Wings with Suicide Sauce)

* Recipe is for 12 Chicken wings, so adjust accordingly for amount desired.

Ingredients:

12 Chicken Wing Selections (frozen)
2 TSP Cider Vinegar
2 TSP White Vinegar
6 Habanero Chile Peppers
2 Serrano Chile Peppers
6 Bird's Eye, Cayenne, or Red Thai Chile Peppers
1/2 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Dried Thyme
1 TSP Ground Black Pepper
1 TSP Crushed Red Pepper
2 TSP Cayenne Pepper (powder)
1/3 Cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 TSP Tabasco Habanero Sauce (or Original if Habanero is not available)
1 TSP Melted Butter (optional)

Steps:

1. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees fahrenheit

2. Once oil is heated, carefully place frozen chicken wings in deep fryer basket.
*Note - Wait until the lid is in place before lowering basket into hot oil! Also, be careful not to add more frozen chicken wings than your fryer is equipped to handle, as the frozen wings create quite a bubbling when they hit the oil.

3. Cook wings in deep fryer for 12-15 minutes (depending on size of wings). Periodically shake the basket during cooking so that the wings don't stick together.

4. For the sauce:

In a food processor, mix cider vinegar, white vinegar, and all peppers. Grind until peppers/vinegar is as close to a liquid as possible.

Pour the pepper/vinegar mix into a seal-able bowl or container (Tupperware) that is large enough to hold more than the amount of wings you are cooking.

Add the remaining ingredients to container and mix well.

5. When chicken wings are done, quickly remove from fryer and place immediately into container with the sauce. Seal the container with the wings and sauce and shake vigorously for 1-2 minutes.

6. Remove wings from container/sauce and plate, adding remaining extra sauce if desired.

Notes:

If you are using less peppers or less of the dry ingredients, add less vinegar when you grind the peppers.

Be careful to wash your hands and don't touch your eyes or other important body parts after handling the peppers, sauce, or resulting wings.

Personally, I make this recipe all the time and combine it with deep fried french fries. There is some remaining sauce left over, so I use this sauce for my fries.

**If you like hot stuff, this isn't going to kill you.
**If you don't like hot stuff, don't ever ever make these wings.
Joker
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Borracho got me thinking last night after looking at those suicide wings. This is a sort of Thai spicy chicken marinade written by a man on the go where supplies may be limited. I am not really a measurements kind of guy and go mostly by smell. This marinade will smell wonderful in that it smells flavourful but at the same time you can smell the heat coming off of this.

The basic recipe involves olive oil and SriRacha hot sauce as I tend to pack a couple of bottles of that in travel. Other hot sauces may be used as well. I have even been known to use habenero hot sauces or something as simple as purée'd peppers of the hottest variety you can find well mixed and boiled in the olive oil.

Marinade time:

If the chicken is fresh (e.g. just killed) marinate no less than 6 hours and no longer than 24 hours and then cook if not able to refrigerate. The acids in this marinade should keep the meat from going rancid but will tenderize the meat substantially. If able to refrigerate would suggest marinating no longer than 48 hours.

If thighs and breasts are frozen solid do not bother defrosting. Mix marinade and let it soak in the refrigerator for 48 to 72 hours.

The marinade itself:

Spicy: Like I said mix olive oil with hot sauce of choice (in copious amounts). I have even been known to throw diced or purée'd hot peppers in with the hot sauce. You should be able to smell the heat coming off of this marinade. If no hot sauces are available but you have peppers find the peppers of the hottest variety. Ghost peppers, habeneros, bird's eye/thai peppers, etc.... grab a hand full of those and purée or finely dice those up. Put those peppers in the olive oil, seeds and all, and heat up the oil while stirring the peppers in. Bring oil to near boil and then let it cool.

Sauces: Aside from hot sauces I will mix in soy sauce if it is available. While not a sauce if available I would add a light beer as well. Something like an asian style beer or if you really want to spice it up add a Belgian white or hefeweizen. Just make sure to save some for the chef and I would not suggest dark beers here. Smile

Sweet and/or sour: Lemon juice works well with this, purée'd oranges or tangerines work even better if you can get a hold of them. If you are heating the olive oil pepper mix make sure to throw in the purée orange/tangerines.

Spices: Garlic powder or garlic salt if you can get a hold of it. Hard..... very hard to go wrong with garlic IMO. I also tend to use seasoning salts such as Lawry's, Pappy's, or similar and have been known to pack them on travels with my SriRacha hot sauce. Pepper..... for this recipe you can never get enough pepper. Pile it on..... go crazy. You should smell the heat coming off of this marinade. Lemon pepper is also good to if you have any available.

Heat level: If you have not eaten very much hot food.... I will say that it takes some experience when messing with spicy cooking and eating. The general rule is your nose does not lie but even so this can be deceiving. Another general rule is the longer you let this chicken marinate the spicier it will get.

Cooking: Over open flame while coating in marinade sauce is preferred. If not able to do that in pan with some marinade sauce in the pan.

Enjoy, experiment with it, and post up if you actually come up with measurements for this. I am unfortunately one of those cooks who tends to go by smell with meats, spices, and marinades. The fortunate fact about this though is I have never heard a complaint about my cooking aside from the occasional 'this is hot as hell but damn tasty.... must stop before I suffocate.' The other fortunate fact is if on assignment I have had coworkers ask me to cook even though I cannot explain the measurements to my method of madness. Laughing

Bon appétit.

Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another dessert - I call this the Slightly-Ima Cake, because it looks a bit pathetic but tastes incredibly good.
No, really. If you like chocolate cake you should absolutely try it. This recipe does not contain flour or nuts, so the cake is very compact but very juicy, friendly to allergics and incredibly chocolate-y.
It's also easy to make.

You need:
100g of butter
300g of dark chocolate (at least 60% cocoa, otherwise the cake may taste funny - trust me, I've tried six different kinds of chocolate.)
50-100g of sugar
5 eggs

How to prepare it:
Preheat oven to 175°C (that is 347 degrees in PF units).
Carefully melt the butter and the chocolate in a small pot.
Put the egg yolks an half the sugar into a bowl and stir a bit.
Add the molten butter/chocolate and stir some more.
Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until solid.
Add the other half of the sugar to the egg white and carefully fold it in until the mass is smooth and homogenous.
Pour mass into a springform pan 22cm (about 8.6614 PF units) in diameter.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.

The cake will be huge when you take it out of the oven, and then totally collapse within half an hour. That's perfectly normal.

Once it's cooled off, you can flip it on its head and coat it with some more chocolate, or you can serve it as-is. I prefer the latter because the cake is then crispy on the outside but deliciously moist and rich on the inside.

Just like every other homemade chocolate cake, this one is so much better when it's a day or two old.

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Made this one up yesterday, turned out quite good.

Split pea (green), ham and cabbage soup

As you know, I don't measure things so here is the basic layout.

In a medium stock pot I put a pound of split peas with a 50/50 mix of water and turkey stock I made and froze with the Thanksgiving turkey carcass.

I added a raw mirepoix, roughly chopped with some garlic for good measure.

Half of a cabbage head, very roughly chopped.

Salt, freshly ground pepper, chopped parsley, oregano and a splash of lemon juice.

Simmer until peas are soft.

Add cubed cooked ham ham towards the end, or earlier if you wish. If I had a ham bone or a pork hock I would have thrown that in there as well. The peas will soften, break up and thicken the soup, let it simmer as long as you want and drink beer in the meantime.

Eat with good bread (toasted, in my case).

#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is 'My' recipe for Kjötsúpa or Icelandic Meat Soup. Since I have not tried making this before, I cannot tell you the actual outcome (yet):

- Two Litres of Water
- Half a Kilo of Lamb bits (already cooked). The bone would be nice but if the Missus throws it away on you; improvise with some Bouillon Cubes or something to that effect
- 1/2 medium Chopped Onion
- Small handful of julienned Cabbage
- Two sliced Carrots
- Some Brown Rice
- 1/2 small Rutabaga
- Some Garlic
- I think that's it but Salt and Pepper will be added for taste if necessary....

Bring the water to boil. Lower temperature to medium. Add Lamb/Bone/Bouillon in this case and cook for about 20 minutes (I skimmed some of the Crud off a couple of times) Add rice. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add carrots, onion, cabbage, rutabaga. Cook for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are kinda soft.

There are many variations of this soup out there but I think/believe the fun and enjoyment of homemade dishes is the experimentation of it all!

It's just after 5:00PM in PilesVille and I will sample this in a while and report back. What could possibly go wrong?

It does smell very good by the way....

Edit to Add: A bit of Rosemary and Thyme went into the mix.

Edit yet again:. Salt and Pepper were necessary for my taste as was some light Rye Bread and Butter. Twas very nice!

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip

Last edited by oscarpiles on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
loualsindor
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I made this up last week to experiment on the parents...a huge success.

I tend to not measure as it just irritates me and makes more things dirty that I then have to wash.

2 lbs lean ground meat
2 eggs
A handful of bread crumbs
3 garlic cloves, minced
5 or 6 sprigs of thyme, stripped and chopped (the leaves, not the wood)
1 small zucchin, diced
1 medium shallot, diced
Parmesan cheese, grated (or any other really dry cheese that you would normally sprinkle over pasta)

Glaze:
Ketchup
Balsami Vinegar

Saute the zucchini and shallots in olive oil until the shallots are soft and the zucchini is just beginning to brown. Set aside to cool.
Once cooled, mix the sauteed ingredients with all of the non-Glaze ingredients and blend completely without massaging the crap out of it. Create a large (and reasonably unattractive) wad with the resultant mess and place on a greased cookie sheet. Mold the mass into a brick-like shape (wider than it is deep).

Mix the ketchup and balsamic vinegar to achieve a "hey...that ketchup tastes much better" flavor and paint the entire brick with it.

Bake at 375 degrees for 1.25 hours or until the internal temperate is 160. Let rest for ten minutes and serve in thick slices.

Note: As SOON as you move the loaf to a cutting board, get some water on the cookie sheet...the glaze will have made a nasty black coal on in somewhere.

Easter Egg 2013

Sand Timer X 6
Sand Timer Sand Timer X 5
Sand Timer Sand Timer Sand Timer X 1

Safari Budapest/Fiji - 22,500 miles
Safari Save, Collines, Benin/Victoria Island, Nigeria - 448 miles on a bus
Safari Save, Collines, Benin/Accra, Ghana - 700 miles on a bus

Evil Attorney epics - 22

- Why do you give shit about who i scammed you have to stop sticking ur nose on my shoes. Because it doesn't fit your noses
- Please bring me back before i hit my brain on a pan.
- This business is not like selling shoes and clothes in the market sir.

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic