SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

James Fallows has a scam he can't quite figure out

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chatterbot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The esteemed journalist James Fallows of the Atlantic Magazine is puzzled about something in his inbox.

Quote:
Hello,

I will like to place an advert about my puppies for adoption using the below details.

AD TEXT: Family Pets M / F Akc Reg. English Bulldog & Terrier Yorkshires for adoption. Please email me at [xxxx]@yahoo.com contact asap if interested.

DURATION:2 weeks

Kindly get back to me with the total cost for the duration mentioned that's if you can run it for free. Once i read from you i will forward you my credit card details for the payment of the ad.

Regards,
Quote:
The probability that this is legit seems very low. But what's the angle? Is it the first step in some Spanish Prisoner-style long con? Could merely replying to the mail address somehow compromise your computer? Or could this, against the odds, be what it purports to be, an innocent query from someone who loves little dogs? I may reveal the address later on if you want to take the next research step on your own.
It looks to me like a charity scam. But I haven't scambaited for a few years now. Has anybody received an email like this? (Suspected answer: yes, quite a few actually). http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/a-scam-i-cant-quite-figure-out/257269/
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi chatterbot! Where have you been and why haven't you written? Laughing

This looks like a typical CC scam...you give an amount and the lad will add on his fees. Can you give us the original headers and email?

What you have provided so far does not indicate a charity scam to me.

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As stated above, it looks like a CC scam. You should get a few black piggies from this lad. Wink

Please report any credit card details you receive to a mod, who will forward them to the relevant people.

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

chatterbot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So... CC details are provided by the scammer. The ad is placed, (or not). Then what? It's not like the scammer is ordering laptops or something. Question Embarassed Question
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess I'm confused as to why anyone is confused.

It's a bog-standard puppy scammer, attempting to be clever and find a new place to advertise his nonexistent puppies. He probably bought/stole/harvested a list of emails that are supposedly connected to advertising options and just generically contacted everyone on the list.

That he's a puppy scammer is quite clear from the obvious African English, not to mention the fact that EB and yorkie are the #1 and #2 breeds for puppy scammers (and no real breeder or owner would flip the words in Yorkshire Terrier.) And many puppy scammers have learned to use "adoption" instead of "for sale" as it makes them seem more honest.

If he were offered a chance for an ad, he would likely pay with a stolen credit card, but in this case, it is not a play for cash--he really wants an advertisement, and the cash will come with the responses to the bogus ad.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Heh. As I said, it has been a while. For the benefit of googlers, I'll quote from here: http://www.scambusters.org/puppyscams.html
Quote:
In one version of the scheme, the scam artist posts an ad in a newspaper or news website for a puppy he will give away free to a loving home. All you have to do to help the poor little pooch is pay the $400 shipping cost. Victims send the money -- but their puppy never arrives. ...
I suppose there's a certain logic to emailing a reporter, as an inquiry forwarded by a reporter might have minutely greater success than a spam sent directly to the ad dept.

Thanks Dorothy! And salutations of the day! Laughing
Risque Free
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would much rather make someone else say "no", than do so myself. For example, advertising rates vary. If the price were in the $10K range the offer would likely be declined.
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pet scamming is big business. We have a whole subforum dedicated to pet scammers at scamwarners.

Shipping fees are only the start. If the scammer gets that money, he will move on to shipping insurance, veterinary certificates, etc. etc.

Here's our summary in the scamwarners forum
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3149

Quote:
I suppose there's a certain logic to emailing a reporter, as an inquiry forwarded by a reporter might have minutely greater success than a spam sent directly to the ad dept.

You're giving him a bit too much credit. He's not really thinking about these things. He's like a phone lad--just trying to get his ads placed in as many places as possible--especially new places where he has no competition (some pet classified sites have more scammers than real sellers, and competition for victims' attention is fierce.) He either went to the magazine site and clicked on the first contact address he could find, or more likely, he got hold of a media email list (may have bought one for cheap), and he just spammed that same message to all of them. Pet scammers have been known to use targeted email lists before--for a while they were spamming pet scam emails to purchased lists of animal organizations (not actually the brightest move, as your average shelter or rescue is not exactly looking to pick up more animals...)

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

↑↑↑ Dorothy is right again. I couldn't see the wood for the trees... Doh!

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it's a side effect of baiting, really--we get to the point that we don't take anything at face value.

You know he's a scammer - so you assume he is lying.
You start looking for the underlying scam, or trying to figure out what he really wants, and miss the simple answer--what he is asking for is what he really wants.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You're probably right (because I have yet to see you be wrong Laughing ) but you're also too modest, Dorothy. You have a superb ability to figure out the angles of scams attempts when they're not immediately evident. I'm regularly impressed with your insight in your posts both here and ScamWarners.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Dya Reyarunen-Downmeleg
** REMEMBERED **

Location: At the toilet door yelling are you almost done in there? Oops, too late...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Me as well.

Closed lad accounts x163 Easter Egg 2011 Easter Egg Easter Egg 2013 Goat Goat Goat Golden Goat Mc Fry Purple Flower Mortar Elite Ninja Team Member

so as to enable the conclusion of this transaction on your behalf since you are not dead because if you are dead you would not have write me because I know that never will a dead
write to living...
I could receive the document official which you want to forward me for adhesion with TW@T
I am captivated, impressed and hypnotised with your sincerity
This you’re TW@T has it existed some how somewhere before?
Your ASSCODE is: 999-035-2655

"I Am Not a Justin Beiber Fan" innocent.being

Steward, WTF?

SAY NO TO SCURVY
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^Count me in as well.....I think I love you Dorothy. (Don't tell Corona... Embarassed )

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic