SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I think I've been 419ed.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Chugg
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well OK, not truly 419ed. But I think I've been had anyway. Taken for a ride, I was the one born every minute, el shafto grande!

Right after I joined here, my computer cooked itself. The motherboard overheated and popped a capacitor, so I got most of the machine replaced at a well-reputed shop in town. Just over the 30-day mark (their warranty), the machine freezes and completely refuses to reboot.

So after several attempts on my own, I call the guys who sold it to me and they say "better bring it in". They keep it for two weeks and bill me something like $65.00 CDN to replace XP and "clean up" the hard drive.

Dammit, I've only had the thing over a month. Sure I kept my hard drive from the last machine, but they "cleaned that up" when they put it in the new computer.

They didn't ask to be paid by wire transfrer, but I'm still suspicious!
Pisspot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This might have been quite an innocent occurrence -- but

Why did they need to cleanup your old hard drive when they transferred it to the new machine? If it then needed another cleanup the first one can't have been very good.

It is very suspicious that this happened just after the end of the warranty period. After all it is not difficult to insert a little timebomb - software vendors (eg Microsoft) do it for time limited free trials.

Can you find out if any other of their customers have had a similar problem. If so you could quite reasonably inform an appropriate regulatory authority (in Britain the Trading Standards Officer).

This sort of thing happens only too frequently and has been highlighted repeatedly by the 'Which' organisation in the British motor trade (garage servicing) when charges have been made for unnecessary or unperfored actions.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

30 days warranty is pretty poor, and I'm suspicious that it's offered at 30 days in the first place. Are there statutory fitness-for-purpose laws that govern this sort of thing?

lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you pay with a credit card? I don't know about Canada's laws, but in the US you can put a stop on the credit card payment if you tried unsuccessfully to work with the vendor to resolve your complaint.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PCs usually come with an OEM version of Windows. Much cheaper than retail versions because the manufacturer is responsible for supporting it, not Microsoft.
http://www.dabs.com/learn-more/software-and-books/oem-software-486.html
A new motherboard means a new OEM copy as the old one can't be reactivated and stops working after 30 days. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
Possibly what has happened here, although the repair shop should have dealt with it when the PC was repaired.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well--I gotta say that it has nothing to do with 419 scams. But I can understand your frustration.

Since you said it’s a well-reputed shop in town I’m guessing you checked them out first, right?

This may not be necessarily a think of ripping you off. I’m on a Mac and do my own stuff if the need arises, but $65 doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

So far as your issue: The first time was hardware issues, and the second time was software issues (i.e., the operating system).

I *had* a friend who I helped to upgrade his system on his Mac (not bragging--but I know Macs). Did his upgrades and this and that and installed more RAM for him. He insisted on paying so I told him to just buy me a few drinks down at the bar next time he’s there. About 2 weeks go by and his power supply went bad. He tried to blame me for that. Never mind that they are two separate issues. I had no idea the power supply was going bad, and why would I check that? I just did his software updates and optimized his system and stuff.

@Nailgunner: I agree about the 30 day guarantee, but it might be right. I’d personally be hestitant about a 30 day warranty for a motherboard, but if it was a used motherboard, it might be a decent warranty. If a brand-new motherboard, then I think there’s a problem. I would think the manufacturer would have one longer than that.

This could just be a combination off bad luck and coincidence.

@pisspot: I don’t think it was a time bomb. If it was, I think they would have charged more than $65. It’s not a bad price to re-install XP and “clean” it up. If it was log-in issues or error messages, I would hazard a guess that the shop had one or two copies of XP and was installing them nilly-willy on dozens of machines (which of course means those folks are screwed).

Since the OP said the place has a good reputation, I just think it’s one of those things of bad luck and timing.

@Chugg: Make sure you keep all your receipts and document everything. If you continue to have problems, you’ll have documentation in case you have to go to small claims court or something.

How is the machine working now?

EDIT: Just saw Mr Tambourine Man's post. That is a possibility.

@Mr Tambourine Man: I'm on a Mac, so I don' t know the answer about the OEM and the version of the OS. But--would the machine simply not boot, or would there an error message once booted? I mean, if it expired after 30 days or so would the machine boot at all? Or boot and get some sort of message?

United Kingdom x3 Mc Fry Easter Egg 2011 Elite Ninja Team Member Sand Timer
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
x3 Safari : Femmy Bait w/Team Femmy
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've built/upgraded a few PCs, but have no personal experience of what happens after 30 days. One Internet source says
Quote:
Well, if you don't activate in 30 days, your computer is "locked" and you can't access your files.

Which may be what Chugg reported. XP is obsolete, which may explain the cheap sounding charge of $65.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^I saw something like that on "Judge Judy" on TV a few weeks ago. The guy ran a PC repair shop and was installing multiple copies of Windows...He got sued for his PC no longer working after 30 days.

Judge Judy bitch-slapped the PC store owner...

Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Yep, she slapped the bejabbers out of him. Laughing

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^You saw that one, too, huh? I watch her a few nights a week after work.

She definitely knew what he was up to. It was funny to watch him denying it.

Chugg
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I got a reply to my B&C (bitch & complain) email from the owner of the shop, which is pretty good for a Sunday on a long weekend. He went through their records (offered me a copy for my files) and gave me the following explanation.

- My computer was bought as a refurbished model (and I knew that), so no manufacturer's warranty applies. They offered an extended warranty at point of sale, which I declined. I also declined their offer of an antivirus package.

- Since I couldn't provide any explanation other than "it froze and won't reboot" because I know nothing about computers, they had to do a full diagnostic including hardware inspection. The "clean up" is their standard maintenance fee, as they physically clean the dust out of the machine when they crack it open. They also switched out the power supply because that's one of the most likely culprits.

- I had also picked up a version of the autorun.inf virus, most likely from one of my USB devices. I have 2 thumb-drives and my wife has an iPod that she plugs into several computers to charge up. They removed the bug from my machine and have offered to check out all my USB devices at no charge.

- Just to make me happy, the boss will refund the $25 maintenance fee either by store credit or he'll cut me a cheque. He also highly recommended that I not rely on the antivirus package included with my internet provider, which I know is total crap.

So really the whole thing is only going to cost me $40, which ain't so bad. The big guys in town (Future Shop, Circuit City, etc.) usually charge more than that just to reinstall Windows, so I guess I'm pretty happy.
Wile E Coyote
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Possibly, now is the time to send the shop owner a note of appreciation?

Regards
Chugg
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Better. I'm sending him a referral. In this computer-saturated town I live in, referrals are very important.

I'll also note that when I bitched and complained, I was very polite. Only lads and people who are mean to animals get verbal abuse from me.
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Chugg

I'm glad everything worked out.

Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chugg wrote:

Quote:
I'll also note that when I bitched and complained, I was very polite.

When I need to advise a company or business of a "situation" I do the "oreo cookie" thing.

Find something to praise them or compliment them on.

Then explain the problem.

Lastly saying you will continue to use their service or business if things can be worked out.

One such letter was written by me to Holiday Inn.

1st paragraph: I have always loved staying at Holiday Inns no matter where they were when I travel. I liked them because <insert language>

2nd paragraph:.. The problem which I am writing to advise you of is <insert the problem or complaint>

3rd paragraph:.. However, I will continue to use Holiday Inn if we can resolve this problem <insert what you expect>

The end result of such a letter to HI was a complementary FREE weekend at a Holiday Inn of my choice and they put a nice fruit basket in my room for the weekend.

On such letter involving Proctor and Gamble got me FREE toothpaste for one year.

Remember "oreo cookie" -- sandwich the bad between the good. Wink Wink

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Dya Reyarunen-Downmeleg
** REMEMBERED **

Location: At the toilet door yelling are you almost done in there? Oops, too late...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Very wise strategy! Very Happy

Closed lad accounts x163 Easter Egg 2011 Easter Egg Easter Egg 2013 Goat Goat Goat Golden Goat Mc Fry Purple Flower Mortar Elite Ninja Team Member

so as to enable the conclusion of this transaction on your behalf since you are not dead because if you are dead you would not have write me because I know that never will a dead
write to living...
I could receive the document official which you want to forward me for adhesion with TW@T
I am captivated, impressed and hypnotised with your sincerity
This you’re TW@T has it existed some how somewhere before?
Your ASSCODE is: 999-035-2655

"I Am Not a Justin Beiber Fan" innocent.being

Steward, WTF?

SAY NO TO SCURVY
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Morgain Le Fay wrote:
Remember "oreo cookie" -- sandwich the bad between the good. Wink Wink

IMO, there is NO bad in an Oreo cookie!!! Shocked

Good advice, just don't mess with my cookies... Wink

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not to long ago, my computer started "Not responding" to everything I tried to do.

I took it to a major electronics/computer store to be fixed. They didn't even get around to looking at it for 4 days, although I called them every day.

They finally said they did a diagnostic, but could find nothing wrong. What to do, I asked. Well, they'll reinstall Windows for another $100 on top of the $50 so-called diagnostic. I said no thanks and brought it home, fuming.

I was carping to my brother and without even seeing my computer said he thought he knew the problem. He came and added more memory. Problem fixed and my computer runs better than it did new.

Computer techs who couldn't figure this out? To me, they're nothing more than scammers who have a license to steal.

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ParaNoid wrote

Quote:
just don't mess with my cookies..

Trust me I am not going to mess with my (former) Mentor's cookies Wink

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
US Dropbox

Film & Production Needs
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
My computer was bought as a refurbished model (and I knew that), so no manufacturer's warranty applies.

That's strange. When I bought my refurbished Mac laptop I got full warranty. Confused

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic