SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Sure I have a scammer...please help...new at this

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
thelmalou
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do I stop responding since it's from my "actual" email account...or make some excuse to stop.... I have read here that since they would have access to my actual information that I should not scambait them from this email account...which this is all new to me I am not sure I am up to it yet... Should I also close that email account? This scammer came off of yahoo personals...ya my luck first one I ever replied to was a scammer...they still haven't ask for money but the set up is there...in Nigera working on business...came on really really strong...only been corresponding two weeks...and he is thick with the talk of "being exclusive"...hello....along with only family is a daughter living in canada with her mom and a gma who is in "old persons home" (ya like that's what we call long term care in this country....) I also did the header IP address trace...and comes up all over as a scam... Need some help....here first ever scam...
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, sounds like you have a genuine scammer there.

If you want to help prevent others being scammed, go over to scamwarners.com and post this scammer's information and his first emails (remove your info). Those will be scripted, and he has probably sent to dozens, maybe even hundreds, of people. Then drop him completely. Since you aren't hooked, you can make up a reason and "break up" if you absolutely must say something--but do not point out any of his mistakes.

Your email address might attract more scam email, and this scammer may continue to try to contact you, but since it doesn't sound as if this scammer ever had you hooked, there is no need to close the email address. Usually when we give that advice it is to victims that are really emotionally involved and have given the scammer lots of personal information, because there is a much greater risk of the victim being hooked again.

Last edited by Dorothy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi thelmalou and welcome to Eater. Very Happy

Yes, if you're writing to a scammer from your real account you should stop contact. No need to explain to him, just stop writing and ignore him. If you'd like you can send one last message that says "I know you're a scammer, don't contact me" and then ignore him from that point forward. He may persist for a while, scammers can be really tenacious. You may also find that you'll receive other types of scam emails to that account, like fake lottery wins, job offers, etc. If a scammer isn't able to scam you with one type of scam, he'll often try others.
You probably don't have to close the account but that's up to you. If it's not crucial to you, sure, go ahead.

Please read the information in the romance scams forum at ScamWarners, here: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 so you'll be more familiar with that type of scam. There is information about other scams types on the forum there as well, you may benefit from familiarizing yourself with the other types of scams.

To start baiting, you can look at the informational topics in the "scambaiting help" forum. You'll want to open an email account using all fake info and then you can contact scammers through there. There are tons of other scammers out there to bait, you can take a look in the surplus letters forum and just pick one. Ask all the questions you need to, we're glad to help.

Edited to add: Dorothy and I were posting at the same time and contradicted each other regarding one point: I do think it's fine to say "I know you're a scammer" but Dorothy is absolutely correct about not pointing out the scammer's mistakes to him. Don't tell him WHY you know he's a scammer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic