SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Keyboard / BIOS Issue - Alienware PC

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hammer09
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi There,

Apoligies about this being my first post in this area, I have a real serious problem I could do with some help with.

My son is out of town for a few days and his Alienware Laptop BIOS failed. They says it is under the keyboard and needs a trained engineer to do this as it will cost at least 70 bucks plus shipping.

I thought I could help him and offered to do this before he returns. I have tried looking under the keyboard, please see attached picture but I cannot find where this is?

I assume I am looking for a round battery???

Also, the keys are not clicking straight back into place - is there a method I should use to do this?

I apprichate any help here as he's not excatly going to be very happy with me and I only have a couple of days to get this sorted.

I'll not touch his stuff again once sorted, I think I've learnt my lesson here to not be so tight.

Thank you.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Put the laptop on the top rack of a dishwasher and run it through a regular cycle. Do NOT add any soap, that will mess things up. Check in after that and I will walk you through the process of re-flashing your BIOS.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Y´know... I guess you should´ve gotten to the BIOS through the bottom of the PC, the fact that it´s under the keyboard doesn´t mean it´s accessible through the keyboard...
I don't know how much force it took you to get the key's of, but I'm guessing they aren't supposed to come off. Also, after a few key's it should've been fairly obvious that there was no chip-like stuff underneath it.

All in all, I don't think trying to fix a computer is such a good idea when you don't know too much about it, maybe you should've looked it up on the internet before trying anything. As for the BIOS, you'll probably find it somewhere on the motherboard, if you google for the PC's specs you might find what kind of motherboard it has and googling the motherboard might reveal you where the BIOS is?
Maybe 2 days is not too late to bring the thing over to someone who can fix it...

EDIT: The thing doesn't even look alienware-like...
EDIT2: Alternative, cheap solution. Paste the keys on the inside of one side of a binder. On the other side draw a screen. It's bound to work, example image here

conga22
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey MoP where did you get that photo of MY PC from Laughing Laughing

There is a lot of spaces in the receipt for them to put their stamp, so why do they put the stamp on the 10 digital codes, and you know that without the correct number ,western union here cannot issue out the payment. (I know Laughing)
When i tell you how to do things well you will do the opposite Why?-Joseph D1ar4
Closed lad accounts X60 X3
Tattoo Vcamerawatch video here Safari Lagos to Cotonou - thanks Mr. Grant

Mortar Japan Portugal United Kingdom x4 Easter Egg 2012
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sadly I think MoP is right. By saying "under the keyboard" they do NOT mean prise all the buttons off. Getting them back on will be nigh on impossible.

Usually you can Google instructions (try something like "reset BIOS alienware laptop" or some such, until you get a hit.

On most laptops the keyboard is removed by removing a strip of plastic between the keyboard and the screen, then unscrewing some screws. However on some the whole process of accessing the battery requires going in the back as well. I would have gone with the $70 option. Sorry

ETA - on the bright side, you can get a whole replacement keyboard, so you don't have to throw the laptop away.

My advice is to package it up with $70 and the cost of a new keyboard and send it away.

Then take your son out for an ice-cream, a new car or a hooker - whatever will calm him down - and call this an expensive lesson.

(And that's why we charge $90/hour for what we do)

Purple Flower

Last edited by GordonBennett on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The BIOS is a small rudimentary operating system (basic input/output system) stored on a chip on the computer's motherboard, not a battery. It checks the hardware, then starts Windows booting up.
The keyboard should come out in one piece and removing all the key caps won't help.
Sorry, but I think you are out of your depths and that you will only cause more harm if you proceed.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My son is out of town for a few days and his Alienware Laptop BIOS failed. They says it is under the keyboard and needs a trained engineer to do this as it will cost at least 70 bucks plus shipping. Wink

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

www.pchelpforum.com; forum.notebookreview.com; 419eater.com - yeah, that makes sense: all good computer sites! Very Happy

Purple Flower
Fryer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HOW ARE YOU TODAY, FINE I HOPE. THIS EMAIL MAY COME AS SOME SURPRISE TO YOU BUT IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION THAT YOU HAVE BEEN THE VICTIM OF AN ONLINE BIOS SCAM. I HAVE BEEN APPOINTED BY BARACK OBAMA TO HELP YOU IN THE RECOVERING OF YOUR FAILED BIOS. PLEASE REMIT YOUR $750.00 RECLAMATION FEE VIA WESTERN UNION AND WE WILL GUARANTEE THE RETURN OF YOUR BIOS IN PERFECTLY WORKING CONDITIONS. THIS OFFER IS 100% RISKY FREE.

guy nawaaa for you oooh
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater, Hammer09. Read the sticky keys, and slim those batteries safely.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic