SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Newbie-and annoyed!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
AreYouKiddingMe
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

“How can you not know this!” was the last inflammatory question I asked. There had been a month of thin letters coming from our creditors. I know what those letters usually are. I'm not perfect with credit and slip a payment now and again. But things were not adding up. We still went out to dinner, his suggestion. He makes good money and has been letting me get my own business going. Surely he would not let me if we were in trouble.
We lost $15,000 we didn't even have. “I’m stupid I guess”. The barrage of questions from me couldn’t be stopped. I turned off the TV and began to draw out months of information. I instantly knew the Nigerian Email Scam when I heard it. Again “How can you not know this? We saw it on 60 minutes!” I downed two more vodka martinis and they weren’t phasing me. He went to bed.

I woke up at 3:30 with a headache and went downstairs to take some aspirin and sit with the dogs. Sometimes when I think and maybe pray a little, an answer comes. I decided, like it or not, I’d investigate his email.

I logged in and the story began to open up. As recent as yesterday he was still trying to get his money. I clicked through the inbox, then the sent box, deleted mail and separate folders. So, many contacts were involved. A woman in Iraq, another in the military, and countless Drs, Lawyers, Nigerians, and Englishmen. Letters from the US Government threatening to “Storm” our home. To me they were all laughable scam attempts. To him, they were honest pleas and dangerous threats. He had relationships with these people, calling them friends and wishing them well. The number of emails was so large that it had to take enormous amounts of time, like a second job or an obsession. “How can you not know this’ runs over and over in my mind.

I’m not sure if I will be a ScamBaiter. I’m not mad enough yet and still in denial but once I get a good night’s sleep I’ll probably be back and read your tips and posts. It’s now almost noon with 8 hours already spent on email detective work. We have case numbers with the FTC and the local state police. We’ve called the holders of the auto loan and the mortgage. They have given us some leeway on payment. I have more than enough credit available to satisfy the immediate need, at 18%. Thank the Bank that he could not get into our home equity. We can get out of the hole with some credit juggling and hard work but most of all we have to have open honest communication.

Our biggest hurdle is going to be our relationship. How do I get him to trust me to tell me when he screws up? Trust me to not go crazy or to leave? I think that working and communicating together will be our greatest challenge. Any advice in that area would be helpful.

ARKM
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry for your ordeal. PM me if I can be of any help.

The biggest risk now is probably follow up scams. There's a good overview of those on our sister site ScamWarners.com: Here.

Bobtheelephant
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AreYouKiddingMe wrote:
How do I get him to trust me to tell me when he screws up? Trust me to not go crazy or to leave? I think that working and communicating together will be our greatest challenge. Any advice in that area would be helpful.

Just a thought: Take him (husband, boyfriend, etc.) and make Baiting a hobby that both of you can share. He may have gotten you into trouble on his own, and there's probably no good way out of that trouble, but you can both take vengeance together. Let that be the source of a bond between you. Take the anger out on the people who really deserve it...the lads.

Last edited by Bobtheelephant on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He's one of millions to have bought it, and no doubt he thought he was doing something great for you, so take it easy on him. It's not easy to admit you've been taken, hard enough to admit to yourself, far less a partner you're supposed to be taking care of.

You have my sympathy, but this isn't the best place to ask for that kind of advice, in all honesty. Scamwarners would be a better place to start.

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako
Netherlands Nigeria Ghana South Africa
Sand Timer'Ed', 3 yrs 8 mnths Sand Timer'Oguguo',6 years and 4 months
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater. Sorry it's for the reasons that happened.

Don't feel obliged to become a baiter, although if you do you will have great resources at your fingertips with the great members here.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
AreYouKiddingMe
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not being hard on him, we have to help each other. I think he feels relieved that I am taking care of the stuff he doesn't know how to do.
I could not have carried the weight of the pressure that was on him.
Today is putting out fires, canceling email accounts and closing bank accounts. He's gladly moving to a joint email account that I monitor. I got some advice from an accountant friend that had the same thing happen.

Im looking forward to reading the stickies.
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

the stickies are fun, you'll love them. After them, you might want to peruse the library that is Eater-U. The straight baiting guide is very in depth, but it contains everything you would ever want to know about it's topic. Skim reading the others will give you an overview of everything else we do here.

^^ That, however, is a giant pile of reading (I love to read, but even for me it would be a bit much for one sitting) so my suggestion is to get stuck in. Sign up for a new gmail account (with all fake details), take a few email addresses from surplus and go to town.

As has been said, your spouse was probably thinking how much better he could make both of your lives. I hope you get through this quickly and he learns from it. I'm glad he has you to help him follow up on this, but i'll warn you all the same. The money is gone, you will never see it again, no matter what anybody tells you.
I've read of scammers sending old victims (fake) cheques to cash as proof of their ability to get your money back... For a small fee.

Stay bless, i hope you stick around. We're quite a nice bunch really.
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the facility AreYouKiddingMe!

I'm glad that you found out about this and sorry you lost money. Hope you two stick around as we have a lot of fun, plus there is loads of brainy people here.

Here is a few of them on the lawn, most of them stay tanked and don't act right. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Image Image

Edit to add my laughing emoticon.

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari

Last edited by Corona on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
maxx
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

First thing is to end the denial, and you can end that by trying to stop him from feeling too ashamed. You'd be amazed how many intelligent people fall for these scams everyday. Once taken by the scam denial comes in and they'll believe almost anything in hopes of getting their money back. Though you will likely never see the money again, but there are things you can take from this experience and become stronger from it. PM a moderator, there are those that can help possibly get the bastards who took advantage of your significant other. The information you provide could possibly lead to some real results and saving many more from their scams...I've seen it before. I would also check out the trophy room...it might make you feel a little better. 419eater as a community is here for three reasons, to waste the time and resources of the perpetrators of these scams, to bring attention to the problems these scams bring, and to offer a venue for victims to get advice and support where none is available anywhere else. ...and maybe a little revenge if one feels the need.

Maggot
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They are the lowest of the low, they abuse peoples trust and good nature. Although its a negative that this happened, you should also see a positive that he is such a good natured person as to want to help people he hardly knows. Smile

<I>"our handle charges is this 5,000 thousand ponds"</I>
<B> Jude Adams - Security Company</B>
<I>"...but I prefer to eat houses, houses are more tasty..."</I>
<B> Irina - Romance Scammer</B>
<I>"Yes we are selling the Semen ST41N5 at just $170usd and also sure it will work in Narnia."</I>
<B> Duncan Rustin - Phone Lad</B>

---------------------
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AreYouKiddingMe added the following, but inadvertently started a new thread:

AreYouKiddingMe wrote:
Day after the fraud ended,I slept like a rock last night and didn’t wake up until 8:30. A big difference from yesterday. My spouse is not convincing me that he really gets it. He admits corresponding with these people was like a gambling addiction. The next roll of the dice, the next payment would land a jackpot. I gave him a print out of something I found on AARP or one of the other sites I saw, that was a carbon copy of the events that transpired. I tried to give him examples such as these 20 odd people were probably in the boiler room, like a call center and none of them were who or where they claimed to be. “ most likely” and “probably” are not what I need to hear. “Absolutely” is what I need to hear. Can you direct me to additional compelling examples?

We canceled the email account, he is going to get his work email changed, the scammers have a phone number but it is practically impossible for them to find us physically. We don’t have home mail delivery and are very rural and armed! Even me. I was enjoying the idea that these scum were getting bounced emails and wondering “were is my Good Friend?” We reported it to all the suggested authorities which won’t get our money back but we need the case numbers to get new ID and get some relief from the creditors. Most have been very understanding.

Nonetheless, I agree that for us to bait these people would be dangerous. My stomach flipped at the idea of it. While I’m babysitting our joint email account daily, at his request, I’ll play around with this site and see where it goes. I’m involved in a monthly publishing project that takes about 3 weeks of my time a month and easily distracted. I can see this 419 Eater would be great sport but I have budget the time. I bet it makes one a better writer and more imaginative. I can use that. Looking back through the ream of e-mails I printed off, I can see how the scammers worked him over. Great script for a Stephen King movie.

One reply from this forum commented about his empathy and that is so very true. I’m not beating him over head with this goof up (as the Secret Service agent wondered) and I think we are finding solutions together to recuperate and prevent another occurrence. How do you know that members here aren’t scammers in training?

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
maxx
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I replied in the other thread, so I'll repost it here:

Quote:
How do you know that members here aren’t scammers in training?

We don't. But scammers are generally lazy and self absorbed. Infiltrating and spying takes time and patience...they have little of either. Plus that would be one informed scammer among a sea of thousands. I'm with ya on the the "probably" not being the right answer. Hopefully in time that answer gets more definite. Do you know what the original letter was? I'm betting it was pretty common. I'm sure we could provide hundreds of similar e-mails from proven scammers.

AreYouKiddingMe
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes it was the usual- a "Dr" with marginal command of the English language, telling a convoluted story about distant relative, a car crash, no European relatives, leaving the money for my spouse. It came in plain text format with the UK spelling such as "..our" "Send your personal info...." You know the letter. I get 4 a week. After that one was exchanged for a few rounds the others started. A sick girl, a military solder trying to get money out of the Middle East, clergy..... They were lining up. No money was sent to those individuals but the emails caused another seperate and serious converstation. Those hurt worse than the original money scam and was a real wake up call about getting too comfortable.

I went to the bank today, I know the manager so I didn't have to tell the story twice. She said she sees 10 customers a week with similar issues. Mostly elderly but she claimed she had severel professionals in the last few months. I also talked to the chamber of commerce about scheduling a Keynote presentation about security and safe internet usage. Our BBB has a canned presentation that needs some sprucing up to be interesting. I dont think people are listening.
maxx
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Can you direct me to additional compelling examples?

Besides the ones you get everyday in your mailbox, what kind of compelling examples you looking for?

irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

www.scamwarners.com, as mentioned earlier in the thread, has samples, and victim reports of every scam we deal with

Feel free to browse and use.

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I also talked to the chamber of commerce about scheduling a Keynote presentation about security and safe internet usage. Our BBB has a canned presentation that needs some sprucing up to be interesting. I dont think people are listening.

Good for you! Education is the best preventive "medicine" for internet fraud.

You have a PM. Smile

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
streaded
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AreYouKiddingMe
there are many ways you can help without baiting,
education is one of the main ways and I see that is in hand.
you can post scam mails you get in 'surplus' for others to deal with if they wish.
also if you and your other half read some of the baits here it will make you feel a lot better

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the trophy room is a good place to take disbelievers. Here is Sister Mary, Here is Dr Beluga, and here is the lovely Aimmie with the gangreen in Bosnia.

I didnt get the house cleaned , I'm too fixated on this stuff, my eyes are about to fall out and Im still in my sweats and its time to get dinner ready. Yikes.
Fredd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to 'eater. Say goodbye to your free time:)

By your atitude, you're frustrating my future and my life.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AreYouKiddingMe wrote:

I’m not sure if I will be a ScamBaiter.

AYKM, it looks like from your post above you are well on your way to becoming a baiter! Very Happy You have all of the classic signs listed in your post! Wink

I too am sorry for the rude introduction you had to scams. Thank you for sharing your story. Situations like yours need to be shared here, it keeps the "fire in the belly" and lets skeptics know why we do what we do.

I am glad you are here. Cool

edited due to spelling err

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for joining our forum AreYouKiddingMe. I was compelled to read your original post 3 times. 419 Eater and the resulting baiting are very addictive. If there is anything I can do, let me know via the PM function. Wink

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic