SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Satnav in the US Question

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll bring my Satnav to the US/Canada when I go on holiday. I know you're not allowed to put it on the windscreen in CA and MN but are there other states where that is illegal? I'll only have the suction cup fastening thingy with me so won't be able to put it on the dashboard (that's what I normally do).

Thanks.

"I 4LH4JI 4N4NE C0MP0A0REU THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF F1RST B4NK OF 4FRIKA B.O.A HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THIS YOUR SECOND MAIL AFTER YOU INSAULTED ME WITH YOUR FORMAL MESSAGE." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 50 DOLLARS????ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DO THINK THAT YOU ARE SELLING FOOD ITEMS IN THE MARKET OR DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A PERSONAL BANK." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would put it on the windsheild any way. most likely the cops wont do any thing and if its like with radar detectors some states they cant pull you over for it just because you have it. and if you did get pulled over and they say something use the old line " sorry officer, I was not aware of that, I not from here." and they will just tell you to remove it. and 5 miles down the road, you put it back up. Laughing

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ A warning for anyone going to France - radar detectors will get you arrested on sight, and your car seized - no excuses, they are illegal.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is the California situation-
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2382.asp
Enforcement is very low priority as far as the CHP goes. I use an indash unit but also use a Garmin Nuvi 650 for rental cars. I attach the GPS to the drivers window between the dash airvent and the left side rear view mirror. It blocks my view of the "A" pillar and may affect the speaker there but does not obstruct any of my road view. The downside is that I cannot roll down the window or leave it attached. In most of Southern California, its not a good idea to leave the suction cup mount attached.

Edit-
If you are concerned while driving through MN, you might consider buying a few quid worth of Velcro. Put two strips of the loops on your GPS and two strips of hooks on the rental car dash. At the end of your ride, peel off the strips on the rental. Voila, back to normal. Make sure that your NAV has the US/CAN database.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Lester
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know its legal to have the Satnav/GPS unit in VA - no states i know ban them. But I doubt any officer will pull you over for it unless it was blocking your view completely.

HOWEVER Virginia and DC ban Radar Dectors (only two states/areas) - and in VA they have radar-detectors-detectors (and yes.. black market they sell radar-detector-detector-detectors) and they mask the signal so it cant be detected unless the copis in your car.

$3,838,681.54 of fake checks taken off the street
Mortar x13 Tattoo x4 Sand Timer 4y 3m
_____
"Just open up and tell me the truth and stop tricking your dick." - Mr.Kofi Yousaof

"I'm a Muslim, Ok I'm a Christian, Mother F---. Get the F---- off my phone N-----, don't call me anymore." - A lad on the phone with "Homeland Security".
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have seen several ppl here in Indiana put the GPS on the drivers window rather than the front window. As far as I know it is not illegal to put them on the front window. I have one with suction cup mount and I place it on the front window center down as low as I can.

I ALWAYS take it off the window when I arrive to my destination as theft of these items is on the rise.

Make sure you DL the US/Canada maps from your GPS company's web site so you don't get here to the US and have no maps!

Also is the "power point" the same in the US as Europe so you can plug the unit into the "cigarette lighter" in the car?

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They are great but don't forget about the warning they distribute with them that they should not be your sole means of navigation.There was a news item last week about a party that got stranded in a very remote part of Utah,because they took a wrong turn based on their GPS system.They kept compounding the error by totally relying on it,and not consulting maps when it was obvious they were lost.If you are in a major urban area it won't make much difference,but if you get in a wildernes area it bears keeping in mind.

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
simpsonman3000
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What is a windscreen? Is that a windshield?

I am in California (you said you were going here?) and GPS devices are allowed to be on the windshield. Just don't let it obscure the driver vision.

HEY YOU OLD DISEASED SLAPPER I KNOW YOU F**K ANYTHING AND SUCK EVERYTHING HEARD YOUR C**T IS SO BIG NOW EVEN A HORSE CANT FILL IT!!! ENJOY IT AND HOPE YOU GETS AIDS YOU DISEASED MUGA BASTARD!!!- Some lad got pissed when I called him a slut.
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Connie L Gus and The Man

I've got the US and Canada maps for the GPS. (@docholiday I'll bring the normal road atlas too).

Hmm, I thought the "cigarette lighter" was the same in both North America and Europe but I've never paid any attention to that before getting the satnav.

Thanks for your help. I'll simply stick it to the drivers window unless I know it's legal to put it on the windscreen/windshield.

I'm going to take it on a little foreign road trip this weekend/early next week as we have a funeral (she was almost 101 so no biggie!) in The Netherlands early next week. Never used it outside of the UK before.

"I 4LH4JI 4N4NE C0MP0A0REU THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF F1RST B4NK OF 4FRIKA B.O.A HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THIS YOUR SECOND MAIL AFTER YOU INSAULTED ME WITH YOUR FORMAL MESSAGE." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 50 DOLLARS????ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DO THINK THAT YOU ARE SELLING FOOD ITEMS IN THE MARKET OR DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A PERSONAL BANK." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My:

Yeah I am not sure about the cigarette lighter. I know your "wall" power and ours are different, so don't blow up your hair dryer or electric shaver or whatever you are bringing that gets plugged into the wall! I don't think most US hotels are set up for dual US/European outlets like many good European hotels are.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Mortar x8
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The "power ports" are almost the same in cars all over the world now. The only difference is that fewer people actually use them to light cigarettes anymore so the car manufactures have downsized the copper conductors going to the plugs. Thats the reason you see them close to the floor and inside the consoles of cars and not next to an ash tray anymore. Plug in a cigarette lighter and a fuse will blow. The power requirements of a Sat/nav unit is very small compared to a cigarette lighter so no matter what, if there's a hole, you can plug it in. One of our cars has two power ports but no cigarette lighter. That's a two hundred dollar dealer installed option.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, my car does not even have an ash tray any more. The car I just got rid of did not either, but they had one as an OPTION. It was just a container you put in one of the cup holders....

Mortar x8
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It has been many years since I worked on a car built for the UK market,so if this is silly these days my apologies.I know that I have seen UK vehicles that are wired in your terminology positive earth.All US vehicles are wired negative earth.As I say,If this is a thing of the past it is no problem,but if they are still built that way,make sertain your adapter is wired properly first.
You may now laugh at the old fart mechanic Laughing

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Positive earth is something from really, really long ago (I think from the time animals could still speak and cars had 6-volt batteries).

Fight My Brute
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not a sat nav person at all. I'd rather navigate by the stars. I've never had a problem just reading a map and they are free most of the time form real estate agents if your in a strange town. Road signs and a pre drive map check will generally get you close enough. My son had the roof of his soft top cut open in his driveway about a year ago. That's all they took. I did have one in the car a few years ago and the map was out of date it was funny listening to all the instructions when I was on a new tollway.
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Harry:

Theft of the GPS units have become fairly common. I would never leave mine in the car overnight. I generally use it once a month or so when I am going somewhere I am not familiar with. I grab it and put it in the car at that time.

I can read a map and navigate very well with one, but the GPS is just so much more convenient. I check its route against a map though because the GPS has a desire to keep you on a major highway even if that means going way out of your way.

Also the one I have the time calculations are high by a factor of almost a third!

Mortar x8
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ The Man and Connie L Gus

I used to live on your side of the pond so am well versed in the differences for normal power plugs and am only bringing my laptop along and that one runs happily anywhere with the right adapter. Will plug in the satnav and hope it works. Don't even know what kind of rental car I'll end up with this time... Maps are great (and I used to compete in orienteering as a kid so know how to use a map and compass!) but the satnav is the lazy way of doing things and I am not ashamed to admit that I'm happy to do things the easy/lazy way if possible! Smile

Thanks to all of you for the input!

Stepan Fetchit
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In some of the crucial areas for a 'tourist', (Big cities) the GPS goes nuts.
Some real problem areas are big cities with road construction.....new highways...detours.... Often they can't differentiatie between paralell/service roads to major highways, and the major highway itself.
I have one of the Garmins and it loves to tell me to turn where there is no road, and then nags me worse than my old lady when I don't listen to it.

<A href="http://www.dragonladies.org/bbs">Dragonladies.org</a>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic