SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

When is it cash baiting?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Glowstick
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm aware, for obvious reasons cash baiting is illegal, but when does baiting become cash baiting? Does it have to be them actually sending you cash?

I was thinking about a future bait idea (I'm learning from a straight bait - with help - for now) which if it went really well could end up with my character, one day being sent tickets and/or stuff. I have no idea how I'd receive things yet and that's not the point, I just thought I'd give some background on my thinking.

Isn't being sent stuff though, the same as cash baiting? I mean getting stuff with a value from them? I know that gifts and stuff have been done before (<3 the wooden head sculpture from one of the baits I read before joining) but is that not basically the same thing as getting cash from the lads (stealing)?

Basically what I'm asking is, is there a line between receiving gifts and receiving money? Not worried about ethics, just the law/forum rules.

Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cash baiting is just what it says.

I know that people sometimes see no logical difference between baiting for trophies and baiting for cash. However, there are much greyer areas, legally, over trophies, not least the value, which may be negligible. And pragmatically speaking, no LEO is going to be as bothered about trinkets and trophies as they are about hard cash, although the closer your trophy gets to something that can readily be traded for hard cash, the harder it gets for them to ignore it. Smile

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Glowstick
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds sensible. Thanks. If I ever do get to the point of being sent stuff I may ask more specifically (that is to say with exactly what the item is) at a later date. Smile

Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No problem. Smile You're welcome to PM me, bump this (if it is soon), or start a new thread whichever you prefer. Smile

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
ShadowBeastie
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Speaking of legality, isn't conceivable that cash received could be looked upon as a form of money laundering or the potential for it? Or am I off base there?

AND Who the hell do you call your boss. Is your boss Idleness?--kelly notsobriete

yes i mating pair. ok. you will have to pay me $3500 when you receive them.
AND you are a thief. you are not in USA. please send me your number to call then i will happily call the airport to proceed with the shipping.--Hey Jude
Cameroon is not in Ireland. i am not a snake piss seller
AND i have very healthy ship that i will be shipping them to you ok.-- Mac Ferdy
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You're not off base. Depending on the source and/or amount, cash baiting could get you into money laundering territory. Sad

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Money laundering is passing money through different accounts and payees so that it's real source is hard or difficult to discover. I don't think cash baiting could fall into that unless you are forwarding the money to the scammer. Which would sort of be opposite to the point of cash baiting. Obviously there is a potential.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The law in England and Wales has changed fairly recently, and much more falls into the money laundering provisions now than previously. There's more info here: http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.php?title=Money_laundering

As it says, "the definition of money laundering offences in POCA [Proceeds of Crime Act 2002] is much wider and defines even passive “possession” of criminal property as money laundering." If a lad sends a baiter money that he's acquired from scamming, then it could fall squarely into the English laws on money laundering.

The Wiki Crimeline, btw, is run by a very well-respected and knowledgeable criminal practitioner in England, Andrew Keogh, and is entirely reliable on matters relating to criminal law in England and Wales, if anyone's looking stuff up. Very Happy

Tolin Dorden
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Better tell him to stop practice crime if he's a criminal practitioner then eh ? Razz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic