SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Bleeding radiators!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, someone riddle me this:

I understand that when there is air in my central heating system, the radiator in the back bedroom, which I presume is the highest point, goes cold at the top, 'cos air is going to float on water, yes? I bleed the air out, and it all goes hot again.

Hayley pointed out this morning that the radiator in the front bedroom is cold at the bottom, and hot at the top.

WTF?

Mind you, I have been threatened with an African witch this week, maybe this is the first sign. Shocked

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Heat rises, so maybe the radiator's not got trapped air, it's just operating inefficiently so it's not hot all over?

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ Right. When a radiator is hot on top and cold on the bottom it means that there's air somewhere in the system and the circulation is insufficient.

It's hot at the top because that's where the warm water enters the radiator. It then doesn't get circulated properly.
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
Hayley pointed out this morning that the radiator in the front bedroom is cold at the bottom, and hot at the top.

sounds like the rad is sludged up, all the "gunk" in the system accumulating in one place.
You'll have to drain the system down, put some system cleaner in it and run it constantly for (IIRC) 48 hours, flush it through a couple of times then refill it and introduce some inhibitor.

If you have a header tank in the loft and a drain cock at the lowest point it's a piece of cake.

get your baiting forms here
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@KD you're wrong. cold at the bottom is sludge. cold at the top is air.
Also, most domestic rads in the UK have the pipework entering/leaving at the bottom.

eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just found this here:

Quote:
Radiator cool at the bottom and hot at the top.
This may be the result of of a build up of "sludge" in the radiators and pipework. Iron oxide forms and is carried by the water around the system. The oxide collects and lies at the bottom of the radiator preventing the warm water from reaching it. To remedy this the radiator needs to be disconnected from the pipework and flushed through with water. You can also purchase sludge removal liquids which are added to the water in the radiators via the feed and expansion tank. It is usually left to flow around the system for a couple of days before draining the whole system down and refilling it with clean water.

I'd recommend doing the whole system, rather than a single rad though.

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes the water goes in at the bottom. I kinda feared it may be gunked up. Hayley doesnt like the rad being on in the bedroom much, something we dont see eye to eye on. I cant understand why I pay good money to heat the house, yet we have to sleep in a cold bedroom.

Howsabout if I drain the system, take the rad off the wall and flush it through with a hosepipe, it works for car radiators?

Its gonna have to wait till this subzero spell finishes though.

You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That will work, but if you've got sludge in the system it's better, IMO, to flush the whole system and put fresh inhibitor in it.

I'll come round and do it for �150 plus expenses.

Baldrick
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Eamonn but also, do you have a thermostatic radiator valve fitted? These can cause a similar effect.
Its definately a circulation problem and most likely (though not necessarily) caused by sludge.
You can DIY it with some chemicals (fernox or centinel) lobbed into the system. method depends on type of system.
There's a bit more to it than that but if you want to try it, PM me and I'll give you a step by step.

we build relationship and watch it going up am a woman i need you to be at peace first not so wild like animal. (Mrs. Elizabeth)
NOW WALK MAJESTICALLY LIKE A LION TO YOUR WU OFFICE (williams wilcox)
I love the idea of the Security verification code (Freeborn Moses after 1143 answers)
SWING INTO ACTION EMBLIND (in a subject line)
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No, I have the same radiators as the Flintstones. I suspect that because it has been turned off for so long it is full of rusty crap.

Plan A is take it off the wall and flush it, plan B fit a modern rad with a thermostatic valve. I'm not keen on sending the sludge and rust around the system, in case it blocks a pipe in a hard to get at/find place.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Baldrick
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roy
Go with plan A to start with. Take it down the garden and flush it until its clear. Only experience can tell for sure but if its that old, replace it, they're not very expensive. Just don't go to the big sheds like B&Q et al use a proper plumbers merchant. They are about half the price there. Also, wear dirty clothes and look like a plumber and they'll give you even more off. Flashing your bum crack seems to do the trick Laughing

we build relationship and watch it going up am a woman i need you to be at peace first not so wild like animal. (Mrs. Elizabeth)
I love the idea of the Security verification code (Freeborn Moses after 1143 answers)
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eamonn wrote:
@KD you're wrong. ...

In theory I may be wrong, but letting air out of my system made the radiators that were hot on top / cold on bottom hot all through.

Science loses. Razz
Baldrick
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ KD
I'm sorry but I can't explain that one. But if you're sure and it works that's all that really matters.

remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

excellent just solved my heating problem out.
one of my rads has a valve fitted so you can attach the hose pipe and let the water run out down the drain.

will sort mine out next week now i know the score.
2 rads out of 14 are warmish to touch the rest you cant get your hands on them.

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@RC

Just remember to cover all the carpet when you take that rad off the wall. The sludge is impossible to get out of carpet and you will always leave some water in the rad after you have drained the system

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@MM Don't worry, the rad is on Hayley's side of the bed, and I never see it. Very Happy

No youre right, I'll pull back the carpet and put something down. I aint doing it until it gets warmer though. I did try KD's 'defiance of science' approach, and tried to bleed it anyway, but as expected, the rad was full to the top with hot water.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Baldrick
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A tip Roy,
When you've emptied the rad, close the bleed nipple, bung the holes with rags & turn the whole thing upside down. Any sludge will then be kept in the rad. That stuff stains concrete like oil does so do it at the bottom of the garden.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic