SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Victims of love scams.

View next topic
View previous topic

bestmann
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I am a recent victim of a love scammer. I lost $3,000. I know I will never get my money back. I am posting my story in hopes that it might help someone else.
I personally checked the IP addresses in every email he sent me, all but 5 are from Lagos, Nigeria. Mods, please let me know if you would like me to post them here, there are a lot of them.

It's fair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi bestmann,

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost so much money like that.

The best place to post the emails that you received from a scammer is at our sister site ScamWarners. There, they will be a wonderful help to prevent other people getting scammed by this person.

Do read this important information before posting first: click here.

And then you could post in the Romance Scams forum here.

Your information could save someone else from having their money stolen. Thank you for caring about other people in this way.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
Gullible Joe
Big Gob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bestmann wrote:
Hi, I am a recent victim of a love scammer. I lost $3,000. I know I will never get my money back. I am posting my story in hopes that it might help someone else.
I personally checked the IP addresses in every email he sent me, all but 5 are from Lagos, Nigeria. Mods, please let me know if you would like me to post them here, there are a lot of them.

I almost got scammed about 4 years ago. I was deciding to send her some presents and googled "presents for Russian women" when I came upon a scam warning site. This really shook me out of my fantasy. Lucky escape for me
gerald.fird
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Gullible Joe - You're lucky you actually found out just before sending the presents. Many people aren't so lucky.

@bestmann - I'm sorry to hear that. It's good you found out about the scam before sending more.

Safari Mrs. CHIPIWA MAZIVA - Johannesburg to Cape Town - 1800 miles round-trip

"IDIOT DEY FOOL YOURSELF........ YOU NON GET WORK DATS WHY U DE FIND FOLLOW UP..... ILLITERATE
TAKE MY ID MAKE U ADD ME

MAKE I SHOW U MY WEBMAIL... U WILL NO DAT AM NOT HUNGRY... HUNGER GO KILL UR GENERATION"
micjamke
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok I was on a dating website, where eventually someone contacted me, and we started chatting on IM, me being new to this had no problem with it. He began chatting with me everyday, and he kept professing his love for me, and of course I thaught it was strange, so I decided to go along with the program, and then he began to tell me he had someone steal his wallet, and he said can you help me out, ok that really pissed me off, and I started saying things to him, and he kept coming at me. so went to looking up info on scams, and called him out, and told him, to stop playing games, and said who are you really, after about sometime, he decided to reveal his true self to me, on webcam, and we have been chatting since then, but for some reason, he thinks that he has my confidance and has been attempting to get money from me, but I am not so quick to do this, and of course i tell him, someone who scams is alway a scammer, just trying to use a different angle. So has anyone ever seen there scammer, in the flesh,and what do you think about that?
Branwen
It's fair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi micjamke, and welcome to Eater.

Many love scammers will use their own photographs, and are happy to appear on webcam. And, yes, a scammer will try different angles, if the first one didn't work. They will pretend to be anything that they think you might want them to be (and even claim that they have given up scamming now; or that although they did fake love at first, now they have truly fallen in love with you).

Now that you know that this man is a scammer, please drop all contact with him, and don't chat to him any longer, or email him, or speak to him on the telephone. He is a criminal, and a criminal with your real life details, and you do not want to have continued contact with him.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Micjamke,

As you have already discovered, scammers will change tactics if they are unsuccessful one way, even "confessing" if they think it will get them what they want. Sometimes in this scenario, they will tell you that they have decided to stop scamming because they will fall in love with you, then later they will start asking for money again because they are broke/starving/can't afford tuition, implying it is your fault because they stopped scamming for you, and they will be forced to go back to scamming if you don't help them.

Here you can see where the scammer confessed in a recent bait:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185257&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=125

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been reading posts on here and I realize that I am not alone, obviously, but I had no idea it was so wide spread. Long story short, I've been going through some rough times, divorce, unable to pay school loans, scrapping by, and so on. While at my lowest, I try out of desperation to see if I could find a little ray of hope on a dating site (zoosk.com).

Well, a couple weeks after talking to this woman, who I was already enticed by her false promises, she tells me of her mom who fell and injured herself and that she needed $150 for the hospital treatment. I barely have enough money to get by, but I decided to sell my PS3 and games so I could get her the money.

A couple days later she says she is grateful blah blah blah and now needs $800 for a plane ticket so she can come stay with me. I almost fell for it.......but thanks to my friends and my brother for opening my eyes she or whoever it is in my sights. I really despise people like this who prey on the weak and who are at their lowest point in their lives, but don't care.

I know to most that $150 ( I actually sent $200 because I felt really sorry for her) I lost is not a lot of money, especially the one who lost 3k...I am so sorry for that, I can't imagine how you must feel. It's the principle of it, preying on the weak. I hope this helps anyone else that might be reading this.
Branwen
It's fair

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi SinisterTS, and welcome to Eater: though I'm sorry that was a scam that brought you this way.

You are right, a scammer who preys upon your heart can hurt you and shake you up badly, regardless of whether or not you had any money stolen by them, or how much it was. Although we can recognise the enormity of someone else's loss, our own still feels so bad too.

Sometimes scammers prey upon people when they are feeling a bit vulnerable - and at other times they flatter further those who are feeling really good about themselves, and they can target everybody in-between as well. Scammers are adaptable, and will alter their approach to appeal to those they are trying to thieve from.

A generous heart is a good thing when relating to someone who is real and genuine. Scammers just take advantage of that. It may take a time for you to recover from this betrayal of your kind nature - be gentle with yourself, and expect all kinds of feelings to emerge over the next few weeks .... or months. Think of those feelings as part of the healing process.

If you would like to warn other people about this scammer, then our sister site:

www.scamwarners.com

is an ideal place to do that. You may also find solace in having a look at the Romance Scams forum, which you will find here:

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

and here you can find an essential topic on 'Are you falling for a love scammer?':

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3607

which can help you recognise them for the future.

'Personal accounts of scams':

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

may also be of interest to you.

And, of course, after you have healed a bit, if you are interested in wasting the time of scammers like this, so that they have less time for real victims, then please do stay around here. We are all dedicated to distracting them .... and having some fun while we do so!

Corona
Eater's sweetheart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome SinisterTS!

I'm so sorry you were scammed and glad you found out.

Good luck!

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
SinisterTS
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Bran & Corona,

I'm glad there are people like you and everyone on this forum who are there for those that have been caught in these scams.

Best Regards,
TS
Ezio
Porkicidal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

9 years ago I also fell for a romance scam. I wasn't ever asked for money but I did get involved in several international phone calls - I think the only purpose involved was to jerk me around emotionally ("she" - since I am convinced the scammer behind this was the one posing as the young woman's brother - claimed at one point to have been raped by gypsies). At some point the scammer dropped me. A couple of years later, I wrote a novel based on the experience.
And don't think it's only Nigeria or Russia or corrupt or undeveloped countries involved - this one was from Italy.
I'll be happy to provide all the names involved in the story to anyone if it increases safety.
The Scam Hunter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To all those have fallen prey to these people I offer condolences. They are very convincing to be sure.

But I actually have a scammer to thank for starting me on my way to finding and soon to marry a wonderful Ukrainian woman. We're shacked up atm and working through the paperwork.

In Feb 2008 I got this letter from someone posing as a gorgeous Russian girl and started the letter process. In maybe 3 letters she was indicating her love for me and was heading to Moscow to get her visa and come to be with me. Well I thought this was great, but I began hearing this little voice that kept repeating something I'd heard on TV or radio, "NEVER send money to someone you don't know." And so I stuck to that and waited and wrote and sure enough the request came for money for the plane ticket. She had enough for a one-way, but "they" required a return ticket so could I please send $873 by WU. Well after I got back off the floor from laughing I decided to play a little bit, but not knowing anything about baiting I could only keep it going for about a week.

So now, here I am, keeping a fresh profile up to attract scammers and I'm truly enjoying baiting them. I'm still a newb, and have much to learn, but I'm having a hell of a good time with my new hobby. My Bride to be thinks its a strange hobby, and maybe she's right, but hey, I'm retired so give the old guy a break.

We have no time for your joking, dear XXXXX Thank you for using our services. (Yulia Ivanova)

Your reaction is a deliberate attempt to delay the proceedings of this transaction, which will not be accepted by us. (Mr. Jonathan Wilko)

My dear, I just went to the bank that would get your money. I was told that such remittance is not there !!!!!! Once again you have deceived me! Why did you do that to me! I've always been honest and sincere with you! I cry ........ Maria

Click here to support 419Eater.com
BrownEyeGirl
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So it looks like I fell for it. Fortunately no large sums of money exchanged hands except for a couple of mobile phone top ups, but this 'person' certainly has stripped me of my sense of worth, any trust I had in my ability to spot a player, and worst of all took a little bit of my heart.

I'm being told - reassured - that the person in the photos is not the person that was trying to scam me. They also tell me that the solider in those pictures has no idea they are being used. Someone even muted that the soldier I was falling for in the photos might actually be deceased - not a thought that makes me feel any better.

What makes me maddest, is this person knew I had no money. So why didn't they back off? Why did they keep coming back...for three months...making plans with me for a future? If the sole point of this is the blag some cash, of which I have none, why did they keep playing me?

I'm still a little in denial. Maybe I'm dreaming this. And then I go back to the scam website where all the other women have posted 'my soldier's pictures, with the exact same story that I was also spun.

I'm angry that every time a bomb blew someone up in Afghanistan, I worried. I'm angry that even though they new I had nothing to give them, they kept coming back. I'm angry that the plans I thought were being made for a future life were all a joke.

Right now I'm just too angry to bait.

But revenge is very definitely best served cold and I have a feeling I might be back here one day to bait myself some scammers.
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BrownEyeGirl wrote:
Right now I'm just too angry to bait.

You have a good head on your shoulders. Welcome here and thanks for sharing your story. There are lots of ways to help out besides baiting. Telling your story is a great start. Feel free to head over to ScamWarners to share your story there as well.

I'm sorry you got entangled in this, but take comfort in the fact that you found out as soon as you did. It doesn't matter if you have money or not. Scammers know that people can be resourceful, especially if you tug at their heart strings in just the right way. Even small amounts of money are gladly gobbled up by scammers and they know you probably have things you can sell or borrow against, credit cards, and friends and family who can loan you money. Even if you were penniless, they can still get money out of you by asking you to cash fake checks, receive stolen goods through the mail, or any number of other tricks.

There are a lot of fish in the sea, but unfortunately, there are a few sharks too. Don't give up hope, call it one of life's hard lessons and be that much more savvy next time.

coraldrop
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, thanks for this forum, now to the situation.

My mom was scammed by a fellow who got $1,500 from her. I still have the fellows 4 numbers, email address/addresses and name. I'd like to teach him a lesson but he'd know what am up to almost immediately. I was thinking someone from abroad (am in Kenya) might bait him more successfully. Anyone interested in this project can PM me. Thanks.
scotslassie
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I'm saying almost a victim. I was a victim of this guy but alarm bells started ringing when he asked me for money. I only came out the other side today after realising that this lovely man I only met online, was in fact trying to scam me. Thank goodness I came to my senses. I also found details about him on here which confirmed my findings.

I'm so relieved I didn't pay up but I almost did........he was that good!!
lespa
Wannabe Baiter

Location: North of the equator but still on Santa's delivery route (USA)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't see this listed anywhere so I wanted to post it. I hope the mods don't view it as spamming or advertising or anything. I found it last year when one of my friends met a guy online and he just seemed too good to be true! Long story short.....I found pictures that the scammer was using on this site, so I think it's a very helpful site.

http://www.romancescam.com/forum/portal.php

jump_4_joy Click here to support 419Eater.com jump_4_joy
inx
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi!
I am not the one who was being scammed, but my friend was.
Anyway there is a story about one british businessman, his wife has passed away and he has a little son.
They have been chatting for a while now. And now, when she is head over heels, he asked to help him. He is on the business trip in Nigeria and can't use his credit card there (what a suprise! Shocked ). He needs money to get airplane ticket to where she lives. And visa. And asking her to send him money from WU to friend of his. Why would a british citizen need visa to get in European country, that is my question. I am glad she didn't send him this money ( I think she just didn't have any, otherwise she would have, she is still really sad about it). Anyway all worked out in the end.
Also if needed I can write the name that he used, phone numbers (one is UK and 2nd is Nigerian number) and the name of a friend to whom she needed to send money in Nigeria.

Love this site a lot of interesting reading and hey, I am thinking of getting a lad of my own Smile .

PS: Sorry for not the best English, I am working on it Smile .
Jeannette
Distinctly Average

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Inx,
and thanks for posting.
I'm glad your friend did not lose money, although she has to deal with her hurt feelings.
Our sister site, Scamwarners, will be really glad if you post all the details of this scam:
http://www.scamwarners.com/
And any of the baiters who want to have a go at this scumbag will now know where to find him.

* The gift that keeps on giving - click here!
star
notyrfool
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I am new to this forum but it has been a trip. I accidentally landed on a dating site when I was on facebook. It was called Are You Interested? I was actually trying to get to another game and I mistakenly clicked the wrong link. Well anyway I picked from the selections at the guys I thought were attractive the last one being a major in the US Army. He had a sad story and it was supposedly his birthday so I sent him a happy birthday message. He immediately responded and told me he would like to get to know me so I said that would be fine. Next thing I know he started talking of love. He also had very poor english. Red flag. Something on the inside of me said I need to find out about guy. I started looking at his uniform it was a Private First Class. I thought why wouldn't he have his majors uniform on if he really was a major. I then decided to look up his email address in google and low and behold it was on a romance scam site with the dudes same letter and the same pic he uses also another identity for a different character as well but the same letter. He just changes his rank. I found your site for any additional advice which was quite helpful. I had asked him to stop emailing me he did not read my emails. and they kept coming. He sent poetry. He took other peoples poetry and tried to say it was his own. He did not even take the time to remove the url from the source of the website which provided me a hyperlink directly to it on the email. He was such an amatuer. I also made him send me other pics. I wanted to push a meeting to force him to ask about the money. I acted desperate to see him. I sent an email asking when he would get his next leave (he is supposed to be in Iraq) Any guy in the military would have corrected that. He called it a vacation. He said someone from the states had to request it by email. Then I got the money shot:"but guess you know i do not have any access to all my money until i am out of here babe so guess you know you have me and my responsibilities till i am out from here to you but i promise once everything is right babe ..i would refund anything at all you." I enjoyed letting him know how low he was. Even though he didn't care. It felt good anyway. I added to the header so you from Nigeria? so he couldn't blow past it I decided to tell my story here because I do not want him to realize his mistake should he ever get smart and do his own search on his alias and see it on that romance scam site.
Jeannette
Distinctly Average

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome notyrfool!
That was clever: researching his uniform, well done! clapping
If you enjoy scambaiting, an advice for next time: Don't string along a scammer who has your personal details and your household email address.
He is probably African and won't show up on your doorstep to do you physical harm. But he might harass you with nasty phone calls and insulting emails.
When you read our stickies about safe baiting you will find how to bait anonymously.
Where did you post his details so we may have a go at him?

star
notyrfool
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

go to http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36592

For the record I did not bait him nor did i make him a friend on my facebook page. He did not read my email where I asked him never to email me again. I did what I did to rid myself of this creep. I gave him a temporary email address he is also marked as spam reported on facebook and Are you interested. I also reported him to google as well. I appreciate your concern though. This and Romancescams.com are great sites. I realize there are alot lonely people wanting find a special person. I could have easily fell victim myself but for one thing I am learning to be happy with myself and enjoy my family and friends. Having a relationship will come in time. We get in trouble when we try to rush into things. We get into trouble when do not take the time be content and we get into trouble when we feel that we have to be in someone's company all the time. Take this opportunity to love yourself.
Jeannette
Distinctly Average

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great to see you back, Notyrfool!
I guess in the meantime you have been reading our stickies and the Eater University, and now it's time to apply for a mentor. Have fun and happy hunting!

star
admaratas1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a scammer now..should I play along or forget her?....she goes by [email protected]

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic