SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Academic scam- what will happen, and what should I do?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
RichardInueue
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is not your usual 419 scam. I've been baiting a so called academic journal. The initial modus operandi is as follows. These guys email academics telling us what wonderful people we are, and would we like to be editorial board members. If we reply, they give us a silly form which we fill up. So, I created a fake account and signed up as an editorial board member.

Here's the fake journal
<snipped - bware419ers>

Here's my fake bio
<snipped - bware419ers>

Since they've invited me onboard, I haven't heard a peep for them. Does anyone know how this scam progresses? Or am I just supposed to be a third party in a scam where someone else falls victim?

That isn't a photo I ripped off a real human. I took it from a site that generates fake profile photos.

For those of you who don't understand, in academia, being invited onto a real journal's editorial board is a very prestigious thing. No one in their right mind would invite Dick Inueue.
MrMystery314
Djinn and Tonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've seen things like this before. Although not exactly the same thing, I recall one person who submitted an article to a fraudulent journal consisting entirely of the phrase "GET ME OFF YOUR F**KING MAILING LIST". It was accepted because he paid a fee to get his article published or to join the journal, which is the point of these scams. At some point you'll be asked for a membership fee or something like that. The alternative is that as you suggested, they'll use your profile/articles to convince other people to pay some sort of fees.

However, this isn't the sort of thing that we deal with here; we typically deal with standard 419 scams/advance fee fraud. A mod will probably lock this thread as it does not pertain to what we do here. I'm not sure exactly what I'd do in your position, and I'm guessing someone else knows more than I do. Maybe report the fake site and get it shut down if you know for certain that it's fraudulent; a mod would be able to help with that too.

"ALL THE SAME NOT AN UNGRATEFUL BITCH"-Mr. Humphere
"Bro i have seen hell"-Mr. Humphere
"Also i know how inquisitive all this press can be, i hope the picture of the goat fucking me is not on news or news paper"-Mr. Humphere
"GO TO HELL JUSTIN for having played with me all these while, what the fuck is wrong with you you are such as an asshole"-Charles J Colocino JR
"I will tell you I'm a computer illiterate I know more than you" - Eric Marshall
Hello! ~Kitty Wink
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The site is dead.

Before a mod (rightfully) locks this I would like to throw in that I encountered a similar scam a few years ago. Because of my membership in some professional organization or another, I received some mail that invited me to submit my bio information for a sketchy version of Who's Who. All I needed to do was submit a fee, which was presented as a sliding scale depending on the level of detail I wanted published about myself. BTW, some of the editions are really published, though they have dubious value. See https://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-weiner/are-you-in-whos-who_b_502388.html

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Robert Heinrich der 1.
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^

well, that sounds like a sitekiller here took the opportunity to get a site killed.

Very Happy

Easter Egg 2012 Safari Lagos - Accra - Kasoa (and back) 2x490km Safari Lagos - Nairobi (and back) 2x ~5000km, Nairobi - Mbiri 2x130km on easter sunday, Closed lad accounts x12 , 6x Penisprint, Dai Teatime / Anderson Frank: but have been there since about 1hr plus no sign of them and was interrogated by the police and almost arrested

Team Eze, 2 Safari lagos - cotonou and lagos - cotonou (he hated it).
The threatening is increasing day by day with different cursed of animals, and i don't know what to do now. ---- am angry for your head
bware419ers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Moved here. As the OP almost stated: This is not <strike>your usual</strike> a 419 scam. Since there was no evidence of a scam, the site info was removed, per our guidelines.

Golden Pig Vcamera Closed lad accounts X 7035
The Church of the Old Gods Sand Timer Safari X 17 Tattoo
Goat Mortar Flying Monkey Mc Fry Jack Boot Easter 2015 Santa Whip

Black Ribbon "FFS." - Capone
Black Ribbon - Toomuchfun
Black Ribbon - Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic