SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Microsoft repair scam on Linux box?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm on a trip. An hour or 45 minutes before I left, I got a phone call, and as the number was in my area code, I answered it. It turned out to be an Indian who claims to be a Microsoft service tech. He asked me what's on the screen. I told him two Konqueror windows, a Konsole, and a card game. He told me to close them all. Instead I switched to another virtual desktop that had only a Konsole (usually it has a Konqueror window showing Youtube, but I had closed it already). He told me to hold down the "flag key" (the Windows key) and hit 'r'. I did, and got "sr" in the Konsole. He was as puzzled as I was (I don't use the "flag" key). We went through this a few more times and he called me an idiot. He told me he wanted the "run command" window. I told him that's Alt-F2, which I did. He told me the URL for Team Viewer, which I typed in, and got the website in Konqueror. Then he told me to click on download.

At this point it was half an hour before I had to get on the road. He told me it would take only two more minutes, but I cut him off, hung up, called my friend, turned off the laptop, loaded everything into the pickup, and left.

Now I'm wondering. If I had installed Team Viewer and run it, what would he, who apparently knows only Windows, have done with it?

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
690Cals
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

He'd have pretended to fix some made up problem, try to get your credit card to buy a security key or some other made up thing-- then he would have went through your personal stuff and try to get your bank account information and other personal info. He may download a key logger and other malware. Tech support scammers are the scum of the earth, even worse than 419ers as far as I'm concerned. I do enjoy calling them and wasting there time pretending to be the most inept person on the face of the planet. I've gone out of my way to learn a few choice words in Hindi to call them once they figure out I'm just dicking them around.
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does he have any malware for Linux? What if I ran Team Viewer as another user who has no sensitive information?

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
B8er
Associate Boomdazzler

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's very likely that he didn't even realise that you were on a Linux box and would have been totally stuck when you handed him control. Or if he did know, he'd ignore the malware and hope to get you to pay to fix made up problems (with your credit card, which would then be hammered for other things as well) or grab ID or other documents for identity theft

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip 🚽
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1746 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
Thursten3rd
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What B8er said. You can find videos on Youtube that show what happens when tech scammers run into an OS other than Windows.

...you cannot kill me of Innocency....! - Reverend Mark Obum

Well, is now getting to a point which you're searching for the other side of me, and if you don,t reason well, you will surely see it from me. - Steve Jobs, Commander in Chief
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic