SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Western Union paying back to victims?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
krz999
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just stumbled across the following news:

http://www.abc15.com/news/let-joe-know/western-union-paying-back-586-million-to-scam-victims-in-wire-scam-settlement

or

http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/local-news/western-union-reaches-settlement-for-scams-encourages-victims-to-come-forward/691140530

Does this mean that there will soon be a huge boost of recovery scam?
Maybe baiters should be prepared. Opinions?

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I could see this as potentially being fodder for lads to use against their victims to increase scamming activity.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^
article wrote:
Once DOJ has all of the money - later this year - they’ll open up the process for people to make claims. They call it a “Petition for Remission” process.

I bet we will see this term in lad scripts soon. And... like any other U.S. Federal program or project, it will be a Mongolian cluster fornication in and of itself without the lads help.

Milton Friedman wrote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.

Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As so many victims of various scams are likely to have paid out via Western Union, I suspect many "generic" recovery scam formats will start to incorporate this element. To be honest I'm surprised I haven't seen the sum of $586M and link to news pieces mentioned in recovery formats already -- even though claim process hasn't started yet.

Plus, fake WU claim sites may start popping up (both phishing and recovery fraud types).

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
CrimsonSapien
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Could also see this program being abused by smarter, more connected lads.

Lad 1 wires 1k+ to Lad 2. Lad 1 files under program for lost money. When money is refunded, Lad 1 and 2 split the 1k+, then reverse positions and pull the same scam again.

Easy way for an Oga to double his money.

If you have Lads running US military type scams. Feel free to <a href="/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=1753">send them to me.</a> Twisted Evil
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^

Bang. Head. Here.

Hope they aren't smart enough to think of thaat but if they are I would love to snag one as a pet.

Edit. Warners' job just got harder, too. Can no longer tell vics that there is no way to recover their money.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This has the downside of reinforcing an idea some lads already have that scamming is a victimless crime.
bware419ers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

CrimsonSapien wrote:
Lad 1 wires 1k+ to Lad 2. Lad 1 files under program for lost money. When money is refunded, Lad 1 and 2 split the 1k+, then reverse positions and pull the same scam again.

You won't see that from this settlement.

Quote:
If you sent money via Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, and lost it to a scammer, you might be eligible for a refund.

Golden Pig Vcamera Closed lad accounts X 7035
The Church of the Old Gods Sand Timer Safari X 17 Tattoo
Goat Mortar Flying Monkey Mc Fry Jack Boot Easter 2015 Santa Whip

Black Ribbon "FFS." - Capone
Black Ribbon - Toomuchfun
Black Ribbon - Irishemigrant
"I started to read it but got bored after the first couple of sentences." - SOOI
"Remind me not to get on your bad side." - jose_cuervo
CrimsonSapien
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks bware419ers. I decided to look a little further into this because it would seem odd that DOJ and the FCC would come after them for that specific time span, its not like the Lads will stop trying to use WU services, therefore we could expect unfortunately more victims paying through WU past the settlement date. Below is what I found..

Quote:
Western Union has agreed to forfeit $586 million to the government, settled consumer fraud charges by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and has entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with the Department of Justice (DOJ), in which it admits to criminally aiding and abetting wire fraud and violations of the Bank Secrecy Act. As part of the scheme, fraudsters contacted victims in the U.S. and falsely posed as family members in need or promised prizes or job opportunities. The fraudsters directed the victims to send money through Western Union to help their relative or claim their prize. Various Western Union agents were complicit in these fraud schemes, often processing the fraud payments for the fraudsters in return for a cut of the fraud proceeds.

The scams, which generally targeted the elderly and other vulnerable persons, were committed by falsely promising victims they would receive large cash prizes, falsely offering various high-ticket items for sale over the Internet at deeply discounted prices, falsely promising employment opportunities as "secret shoppers," and placing distressed phone calls falsely posing as the victim's relative and claiming to be in trouble and in urgent need of money. In each case, the perpetrators required the victims to send them advance money through Western Union's money transfer system in order to receive a promised product or service. The victims never received what they were promised.

In the coming months, the DOJ will file four separate civil forfeiture complaints in various districts. The $586 million will not be property of the government until these cases conclude. The remission process will begin after completion of the forfeitures.

Quote:
What kind of scams are covered by these refunds?
A wide variety of scams may be covered by this settlement, including:

-Online or Internet scams – you did not receive the items you tried to buy online
-Lottery or prize promotion scams – you were told you won a lottery or sweepstakes, but never got the prize
-Emergency or grandparent scams – you sent money to someone pretending to be a relative or friend in urgent need of money
-Advance-fee loan scams –you paid upfront fees, but did not get the promised loans;
-Online dating or romance scams – you sent money to someone who created a fake profile on a dating or social networking website.

If you sent a money transfer through Western Union and you believe you were the victim of one of these scams, you may be eligible for a return of at least some of your money.

http://www.westernunionremission.com/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

If you have Lads running US military type scams. Feel free to <a href="/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=1753">send them to me.</a> Twisted Evil
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic