SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Email trace?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Fredd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,
A friend of mine is getting harassed via email. Is there any way / thing / website that can try to trace who or where it is coming from?

I suppose it will depend on how sophisticated the perpetrator is, just from what I read here.

Thanks!

By your atitude, you're frustrating my future and my life.
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

https://mxtoolbox.com/Public/Content/EmailHeaders/

Then use track IP address in the toolbar above

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
The Monsignor
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Which email provider is the sender using?
Duckling
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fredd wrote:
A friend of mine is getting harassed via email. Is there any way / thing / website that can try to trace who or where it is coming from?

Reliably? Very difficult with the tools available in public. From the headers you can get the IP address and use various tools, such as the one Irish posted, to trace the email back to the originating source if the guy on the other side hasn't done anything to hide it (such as using certain email providers who strip the sender's IP from the headers.)

However, this information is extremely vague. It will reliably give you the originating country, but even the originating city can be very difficult to find out. Many IP addresses point to cities far away from their real owner. Some even point into the middle of the nowhere.

And even if you manage to reliably trace the city, then that's where your luck ends. Except for some very specific circumstances, you can't really find out who the person sending the emails is. An IP address is simply not enough to show you specific addresses or individuals.

I'm sorry, but I think we would be just wasting time by going this route. I suggest contacting the authorities if you haven't already, showing them the emails and asking for help. They may not be able to provide it either, at least not as far as technology goes, but I think this would be the reasonable first step.

Also, many email providers nowadays have "filters" -option. Meaning you can simply filter out messages from, let's say, a certain email address or person and never see them in your inbox. Depending on the level of harassment and how serious you believe it is, this might be the easiest solution. If not, then it's all the more reason to contact the authorities, as it's obviously more serious than a disgruntled boyfriend or something similar behaving like an ass.

Safari Sloth: "Your lies are so absurd that you made me stranded in another man’s land! Kindly don’t write back or reply my message again because if you do my God Almighty will purnish and destroy you in JESUS’ name! AMEN."

"You are very stupid! Do you hear me?! Stupid is your name!" -Lovely Laura
"I will take your name and use it for the Money Ritual!" -Lovely Laura again.
"I will send you a letter bomb. Don't worry, I will send Boko Haram to your country." -Boko Boy.
"Ogun kill you your family go die this year!" -David the Payment Agent
Fredd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, thank you for all the details. I kind of figured that it would be difficult to really get to the bottom of it, but I figured if anyone knew, it would be someone on here...

It turned out to be coming through Craigslist, so I advised her to contact their abuse department.

The other thing I've heard of doing is to save all of the harassing emails, etc., and if anything gets anywhere,you have the evidence.

Thank you again.

By your atitude, you're frustrating my future and my life.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic