SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

"one ring" then hang up phone call scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
RamJet
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the "one ring" then hang up phone scam. The person receiving the one ring then hang up tends to return the call & SLAM, you get a $25 charge to your phone bill for calling Granada.
My question is: How do these illegal off shore operations manage to get "legitimate" charges on your phone bill?

The USA has effectively "outlawed" new 900 numbers by making "charge back" to the caller's number illegal.

By the way, I think that the service you folks provide (scam baiting) is terrific~! Keep up the great work~! What a great sport~!
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ramjet, and welcome to Eater.

This type of scam isn't something we deal with here, but I did some quick research and found this info for you.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/one-ring-wireless-phone-scam

From that info:

Quote:

Your wireless phone rings once or twice and then disconnects the call. When the number appears in your wireless phone log as a missed call, it appears to be a typical domestic telephone number; or you get an email or voicemail telling you to call a phone number with an "809", "284", "876" or some other three-digit international area code.

When you return the call, you assume you are making a domestic long distance call – as "649," "809," "284," "876" and other area codes involved in this scam, appear to be typical three-digit U.S. area codes. When you dial the three-digit area code plus the number, however, you are connected to a phone number outside the United States, often in Canada or the Caribbean, and are charged expensive international call rates, and may be charged for pay-per-call services as well. (For example, "649" goes to the Turks and Caicos, "809" goes to the Dominican Republic, "284" goes to the British Virgin Islands, and "876" goes to Jamaica.)

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
RamJet
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks bunches~!
Happy Baiting~!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic