SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Green Dot Question

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Spooky Trails
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a question about these Green Dot scams.

Lets just take a popular one going around. Someone calls claiming to be from IRS and tells victim they need to pay a fine or be arrested. Victim then gets Green Dot card to pay off fine, calls suspect back and gives them the number. The money is then taken from the account.

My question is...How did the suspect take the money? Did they have an account they transferred it to? I'm assuming at least some of these scams are taking place where the suspects are in the States. Therefore, it seems possible to trace this back if it was an account. So, I'm thinking there must be an option I'm missing.

I'm curious and I've done some reading and haven't seen an answer.
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Spooky Trails,

Green Dot isn't associated with a Bank account rather the Money is on the Card and only on the Card. Anyone getting access to the number can empty it almost immediately and it is untraceable.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
Spooky Trails
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Oscar. How do they empty it though? They get the account number, how does that get them money? I know this seems like a dumb question, I just don't get it though.
OrangeCat
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Once the scammer has the card number, they can use it to purchase goods just like they would with a stolen credit card number.

"May be the airport am gonna fly from here it can't be found there ,,,,It will landed at different airport there ..." -- K3lly Bl00m
"Whoever u are capable of doing this , am same like , ...." -- Kelly Bl00m
"ok i agree am metaly dead" - Pig$
"My rage rover sport deep the engine nock out i need money to put it in order. as a result this i fail sick." - Pr1nce

Easter 2015GoatWhip
Closed lad accounts x10
Closed lad accounts - special bacon from Pig$
Spooky Trails
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I see what you're saying, and was wondering if that was it. I just got to think there must be a way to get the actual money though.
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm certain stores like Walmart would give 'Cashback' so yeah money could be taken off.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
thePenguin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Reminds be a bit of the "BKA Ransomware" that was around in Germany in 2011/12, demanding a Paysafecard number. It's the same system, you get the number, you can access the funds (<sarcasm>that's why they call it safe, isn't it? Safe for criminals, that is</sarcasm>). Actually, what OP wrote sounds a lot like that, although no computer involved.
Probably, they use money mules to get the items, then sell them somewhere - or they demand refunds. Idk where the scam originates, but some stores in Germany offer question-free refund 14 days or so, perhaps through something like that?
IDK if you're involved in Bitcoin (or Cryptocurrencies in general), it's a little like that. You got a "private key" (well, one per wallet), everyone who has that can transfer funds from your wallet (and, is the "owner" of it).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic