SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I think I might be in involved in money laundering

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nettle123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I recently applied for a medical receptionist job on craigslist. Instead of going to a hospital or office to do an interview, I got an email from a man named James Jordan who said he was the employer and he was looking for a personal assistant to schedule appointments for him, flights, and handling some of his personal money. He also said it would be a work from home job, because he traveled a lot and didn't have an office.

I was a little confused but didn't think much of it at first because he was offering $620 a week for work from home. He didn't even seem to mind that i didn't have a fax, printer or scanner, even though he said he would need me to scan documents, print letters, and fax them. I gave him some of my personal info like he requested and he said he would send me my first assignment. He said he wanted to "trial" me for the job to see if I was a match.

Fast forward 11 days and I had completely forgotten about Mr. james Jordan, and assumed he had found someone else. I continued my job search, and a week ago I checked my mail, and found a Priority mailer with a check for just under $3000 with my name printed on it. I checked my email, and there was a message from James, who said that the check was part of my "first assignment" I was instructed to deposit the check, wait for it to clear, after it did, keep $650 for myself and send the rest to an orphanage in the Philipinnes via Western Union, to reimburse them for some kind of cost.

I deposited the check a few days ago and it just cleared today. I also received text messages from Mr. Jordan saying there was "an urgent priority and I want you to send the funds to my raw materials manager in West Africa" he gave me the details to send the WU transfer to a man in Lagos Nigeria. that is where i remembered about all the 419 scams i would read about on this site when I was younger.

I have this sinking feeling I am involved in some kind of scam, but I am not sure. I was wondering If i could get some informed opinions on this situation and what i should do next. I really appreciate the input, and I apologize about the boring wall of text
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you have not already please visit our sister site, post your story and someone there will know better how to assist you. http://www.scamwarners.com/

Whatever you do, please do not send any of them money. There may still be a chance to get away from that without harm to yourself or others. I don't know all the details and they are more adept at dealing with these issues.

Sand Timer Hana, Flip It, G spot, Rosy, Cynthia
Cellphone - web store
Just read the posting on Eater. You are one sick motherf****r! Smile-Alan
"The skull with bunny ears was a good enough warning" - Nailgunner
mentors- http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php
This Derick moral monster! From http:/ /scamnewss.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/derrick-ratt-scammer-beware/ Vlad blog
http://tinyurl.com/btf7872 - Toolbox
Nettle123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for re-directing me, found the exact email i was sent in a post on that website. thank god i didn't send that money away, going to put it back in the bank.

I am curious though, why would the check clear if it is Fraudulent?
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Banks are required by law to make funds available within a short period after depositing a check, but it does not mean the check is good. A check can bounce weeks or even months later, but you're still responsible. In many cases scammers will use accounts that belong to large companies. It may take an accounting department a long time to realize that a specific debit is fraudulent, but once they report it, the check bounces.

People tend to trust checks, especially "certified" ones. But even those are not safe. Read the stickies about fake checks on the scamwarners site, it will give you a lot more detail.

Meanwhile, contact your bank immediately and let them know you deposited a fake check. You could otherwise get in trouble for financial fraud, and for sure would be dinged for a bounced check fee. And the check WILL bounce. No question whatsoever. It is fake. Talk to the bank manager as soon as possible so that it is clear that you have been victimized and are not trying to defraud the bank deliberately. Law enforcement goes after the easiest targets, and as the one who deposited the check, that's you.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nettle123 wrote:
Thanks for re-directing me, found the exact email i was sent in a post on that website. thank god i didn't send that money away, going to put it back in the bank.

I am curious though, why would the check clear if it is Fraudulent?

Many different reasons, such as "clearing your bank" is not the same as clearing through the issuing bank. The issuing bank states that funds are available in that account, but once they get the check, they determine it is a fraudulent check by the check #, or other identifiable characteristics. Or, it may actually be a check from that account that was obtained fraudulently. Whatever the case, return the money to your bank with a copy of the email and your explanation. Otherwise, you could be held liable for fraud. Remember, it doesn't matter who wrote the check, YOU cashed it!

Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also Google is your friend. Google everyone that you are trying to do business with online including Names, E-mails, & Phone Numbers:

http://tinyurl.com/mkf2dcc

Yes, I had to put the word "Scammer" after the name in my search to find better info. Maybe internet life should be "Guilty until proven innocent".

Had you searched the name instead of assuming, you would have caught on sooner.

Good catch though! Kudos to you.
Capone
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry that this happened to you. ScamWarners can do a lot for you, the people are experienced and can help. You are one of the few people that picked up the scam before they lost money. Take the documentation to the bank and explain. You may be visited by law enforcement but they are looking for information. It isn"t uncommon for scammers to use people in the US or other countries as "mules" who do the cash and return trick_Until the check bounces.

500 in 6-walked
Whip Mc FryJack Boot Flying Monkey
Mortar x4
Golden Pith Atlanta-Las Vegas -Seattle-San Diego-Seattle 2.0Atlanta-Jackson Hole, WY, Atlanta-Aspen, CO-with Juan
Safari Ghana-Bouake with Choppa and Dr. Mike
Courtesy of SH Ivory Coast!
Safari Accra-Lome with Choppa
Safari Ghana-Burkina Faso with Choppah
Safari Sand Timer -Accra-Singapore Team Woody
"no! no no money!!! all this was not true! .. "- vlad rant
" i have complained to those who think life is a comedy to those who feel life is a tragedy. " Mr. Pekkar's Problem
Go Gold!
Big X
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm glad you picked up on the scam before the scammer hosed you for the money. I'm also glad you are posting your story on Scam Warners, because that will help others realise the scam in time too. If you decide you would like to join us in baiting lads, we are happy to help you get started.

Flag PakistanUnited Arab EmiratesTurkeyChinaKorean FlagJapanThailandVietnam FlagCambodia FlagFilipino flagMalaysiaIndonesiaAustraliaNew ZealandSouth AfricaKenyaNigeriaGhanacameroonBeninTogoIvory Coast x15,508
Safari Rev Ozzy: Warri-Lome-Cotonou
Safari Woody: Accra-Singapore
Safari Archie x2: Lagos-Natitingou, Abuja-Niamey
Sand Timer John W, Rev Ozzy, Lil Richard, Zenith, Ever Bank, Robert M, Archie x2
Leka
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nettle123 wrote:
text messages from Mr. Jordan

You mean you have his phone number? i think you need to PM. it to Mr. Bartlett.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic