SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

"from" my OWN address?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kanturg13
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Received 2 e-mails soliciting workers for "turnover derived from sales of intellectual property..." Not unusual, EXCEPT: it not only was to, it was also FROM my exact e-mail address. And when I hit Reply it came BACK to that address, not the usual scam-reply "unable to delivery" message.

I'm waiting for my ISP guy to get back to me, but wonder: does this mean someone has control of that whole e-mail account? Anyone else having this situation?

Thanks.
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Take a look at your "Sent E-mails" folder and see if they really were sent from your account. If they don't show they've been sent from your account then they're most probably just spoofing yours. I'm surprised they aren't sending a different "Reply to" in their e-mail though. I would also change my password while I'm there.

There might be more good advice from other members.

ETA: I think I like the ideas below better. Thanks VX.

Last edited by Big Al on Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Look at the headers. It's trivial to put anything in the From and To headers, but the Received headers will show where it really came from. Also look at the Reply-To header, if any, and look in the body for an email address.

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As said above: check the Sent Box first and see if it's come out of your address. It's unlikely a scammer would delete in Sent - they just tend to mass-mail crap out and move on until the next mailshot.
Knowing where the mail was sent from won't really help - you already know it wasn't you who sent it.
It's a possible you've picked up a trojan or have been phished so first thing to do is run a complete virus scan. I tend to use a couple of programmes so if one misses something, hopefully the other will pick it up.

Don't change your passwords until after you've run the scans. Once you're sure you're clean, then change everything.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
loualsindor
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had several lads use my address as the "from" after they discovered they'd been had. I just end up with all of their "undeliverable" messages.

I also provide them pain to get them to stop!

Easter Egg 2013

Sand Timer X 6
Sand Timer Sand Timer X 5
Sand Timer Sand Timer Sand Timer X 1

Safari Budapest/Fiji - 22,500 miles
Safari Save, Collines, Benin/Victoria Island, Nigeria - 448 miles on a bus
Safari Save, Collines, Benin/Accra, Ghana - 700 miles on a bus

Evil Attorney epics - 22

- Why do you give shit about who i scammed you have to stop sticking ur nose on my shoes. Because it doesn't fit your noses
- Please bring me back before i hit my brain on a pan.
- This business is not like selling shoes and clothes in the market sir.

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
TheDane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It could be spoofed. There are mail spoofers, that will do that. Some of them can be used in clever ways by baiters, but unfortunately, scammers can make good use of them, too.

Sand Timer T.W.A.T Santa Safari Lagos-Ouagadougou-Arbinda Safari Warri-Yaoundé

I AM A FOOL AND I AM SO DISAPPOINTED - Brother Okei AKA Goat Milk Lad
I do not wish my enemy what I have experienced and this humiliation you are putting me through - Rushforth (on behalf of Dharma & Dr Mike)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic