SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist Lad

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Green_Streak
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So have listed an item for sale on CL for $205. Got a lad who contacted me and instantly offered to pay $250 and $90 for shipping to Africa. I told him the item would be $450(never argued) and shipping would be $190(since he hadn't given me address). He argued with me about how the shipping was only $90, not $190 or a while before agreeing to that as well. A few days later when I was "Finally able to arrange transportation to the Post Office" I found the true cost of "shipping" to be $154, which was a problem for me as I "only have $20" So I informed my lad of this telling him I would refund his "paypal" money as I could not afford to ship due to "PayPal" holding the funds... He assured me he would send more funds via "PayPal" for the shipping and I told him the only way I would be able to ship him his purchase would be if he were to send, via Western Union, $134 to go with my $20 to pay for the shipping. Lad seems to have disappeared.

Anyway I'm wondering, has anyone else thought of requesting a Lad send funds via Western Union for... whatever purpose seems appropriate in the scam? And has anyone ever been successful in getting a Lad to send actual funds for whatever reason?
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Way back in the early ages of baiting, there were some baiters who managed to convince scammers to send money.

But things have evolved, and we have taken a closer look at cash baiting and its implications.

Getting money from scammers under false pretenses is fraud, plain and simple. Ultimately it puts the baiter at risk, and it puts the relationship we have established with some law enforcement agencies at risk. We have a ZERO tolerance policy on cashbaiting. http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176248
Quote:
Baiting for cash:- PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Due to the possible legal implications involved, but more importantly because the possible dangers posed to baiters, please note that the Administrators and Moderators of 419eater.com no longer permit any discussion relating to cash baits or methods of extracting money from scammers on this board. If you feel the need to discuss such matters then please do so either by this board's Private Messaging system or by email - but be advised, we do not sanction or encourage such discussions and will play no part in furtherance of cash-baiting.

Any public posts relating to cash baits, other methods relating to the extraction of money from scammers will be immediately locked or deleted.

Now, normally I would lock this thread immediately, but since you are legitimately selling an item on Craigslist, I will assume that you are also asking a lad to pay WU for the item. For that, the answer is simple: If you want to ask the lad to pay WU for the item, and you are prepared to treat him like any other buyer and ship the item to him as promised, without deception, then you can certainly do that.
But chances of that happening are pretty much zero, because if he is a scammer he is trying to get something for nothing, and has no intention of paying fair market value plus shipping.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

dorothy, thank you for both the history lesson and tolerating my ignorance. It hadn't occurred to me the law enforcement implications. You're also correct: I am willing to treat anyone who pays for what I'm selling the same as anyone else who pays for it. Payment in full is the only thing that concerns me when it comes to selling an item. If the lad sends me money to cover the price of my item and the cost of shipping it to him, I will be more than happy to send it to him(between you and me, I somehow doubt he plans to pay the cost of shipping and the price of the item).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic