SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Translation scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chickenlegs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Received this (to my work email address). Unsure whether it's a scam or not - what do you think?

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

We are a team of freelance translators who have joined to offer you a service to suit all your translating and proofreading needs. Combined, we have over 10 years experience in a variety of translating categories. We are ready to handle any type of translating work you wish to send our way, be it technical, marketing or literary.
Our language pairs include:
English <> Spanish
English <> German
English <> French
English <> Arabic

Working as a team allows us to tap into a wide variety of skills and experience, enabling you to have your needs met in one place. With each project we undertake, we guarantee high quality work, delivered on time. If you wish to test our expertise, send us a small job; you will be pleased.
Please contact us with any questions you may have; we are ready to serve!

With Kind Regards,

And the header:

Quote:
Received: from gate.forward.smtp.ord1a.emailsrvr.com (172.26.253.1) by
ORD2HUB21.mex05.mlsrvr.com (172.26.1.51) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id
14.3.123.3; Fri, 24 May 2013 00:49:36 -0500
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
X-Spam-Threshold: 95
X-Spam-Score: 0
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Virus-Scanned: OK
X-MessageSniffer-Scan-Result: 0
X-MessageSniffer-Rules: 0-0-0-2910-c
X-CMAE-Scan-Result: 0
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=1.0 c=1 a=mosu87aFTOEA:10 a=nDghuxUhq_wA:10 a=ikA0e2vWuFEA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=46GaQc8XfcRZ3n4gS3IsrA==:17 a=4NrYxgSJqM79bcnPu0QA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10
X-Orig-To: ixxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
X-Originating-Ip: [72.46.129.66]
Received: from [72.46.129.66] ([72.46.129.66:54923]
helo=control.yourdomain.com) by smtp41.gate.ord1a.rsapps.net (envelope-from
<xxxxxxxxxxxxxl.com>) (ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTP
id 19/94-13586-F6FFE915; Fri, 24 May 2013 01:49:36 -0400
Received: from Samy (unknown [137.117.193.153]) by control.yourdomain.com
(Postfix) with ESMTPA id 073421EC4123 for <xxxxxxxxxxx.com>; Fri, 24
May 2013 09:56:38 +0400 (MSD)
To: "xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com" <xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 01:09:36 +0000
Subject: Freelance translators team up to save you time
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <SAMY1c08dbe5bfc24772a3e13b596a2be1d4@Samy>
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: ORD2HUB21.mex05.mlsrvr.com
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Anonymous
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AVStamp-Mailbox: SMEXr^dE;993500;0;This mail has
been scanned by Trend Micro ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange;
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: 0
X-Auto-Response-Suppress: DR, OOF, AutoReply
Content-type: text/plain;
charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

"Seriously did not plan to stay overnight.. I left my car parked in a wrong place in Benin and hope it doesnt get stolen before I get back..."

Closed lad accounts x 4
Pith Helmet Benin - Lagos 230km (WIMP)
Pith Helmet Johannesburg - Durban 1200km (WIMP)
Pith Helmet Cotonou - Lagos 240km (WIMP)
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What was the email? Did they send some sort of website? (If you don't want to post them here - PM)

From the looks of it - I'd say it's not a scam. Only advert/spam.

EDIT: And googling parts of their email makes me think so too. Only certain sentences can be googled, but it's definitely not a script and doesn't appear to be reported somewhere.
If you are not interested in team of freelance translators, then you are best off just ignoring it.

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!

Last edited by Mortal on Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
chickenlegs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^

The email was a fairly amateur-looking Gmail address. No website was supplied. I don't really want to post the email address, as if it is a scam, I'd like to start baiting it.

"Seriously did not plan to stay overnight.. I left my car parked in a wrong place in Benin and hope it doesnt get stolen before I get back..."

Closed lad accounts x 4
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Read my edit. Wink

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Juan's hidden fries!
chickenlegs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm shame. I was looking forward to some baiting with my publishing-company character Smile

Closed lad accounts x 4
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

IP is in Hong Kong. Many months ago someone suspected a translation scam, and tested it by sending a paragraph in an obscure Turkic language, spelled strangely, which he said was an obscure Iranian language. The translators figured out what language it really was, and the baiter concluded that it was not a scam.

What about sending a sample of Na'vi written in a different alphabet? Twisted Evil

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ And I would suggest against it. Long time ago my mentor told me - when you are in doubts, just don't. There's plenty of fish in the sea, and should this be a scam - it does not seem to target "as much people as possible" and would probably mostly go unnoticed.

Baiting this "scammer" would be waste of time if it appears to be a regular ITP and, since I've had accidentally tried to bait ITP once, I can guarantee it's not a good feeling in particular that you've been wasting innocent persons time etc.

Maybe a mod can provide better opinion, but you know... just my two cents.

Juan's hidden fries!
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I bet it's a real, smalltime translation company trying to advertise their starting business, maybe in a naive way (if indeed they are widely spamming, vs targeted emails to a particular sector which may still feel spammy if you are on the receiving end).

I've seen a wide variety of these in my day job ranging from highly professional companies with full, old-fashioned websites, all the way down to "individual who knows a second language reasonably well but is clearly no translator".

The language pairs listed are not outrageous and their advert seems very similar to other, ummm, let's call them email cold calls rather than spam, that I have received. Combined 10 years experience, my guess is there are two main translators joining forces, one who can work English-Spanish-German and the other English-French-Arabic. If they have been working freelance before it's conceivable that they are still following this model with their new "company".

It can be hard to distinguish translation scammers from real translators (especially as there are some very bad translators out there offering web services, not necessarily scammy but definitely incompetent). At this stage I strongly agree with Mortal that there isn't good evidence of scam here & it should not be baited. (I put this in bold because this is the tl;dr bit)

All that said, in my opinion it would not really be a problem if you wanted to reply and ask "Do you have a website". I think that wouldn't be excessively leading them on if indeed they are legitimate. If they do have a website, it's much easier to spot signs of fakery than with one email message from a gmail addy. And if it doesn't show signs of fakery, even better reason not to bait.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic