SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Music lesson scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jibdoodle
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Greetings!

Last fall I almost fell victim to a scam in which someone sent me an email asking me to teach their offspring the bassoon. This person supposedly lives in another country. I was very excited about this opportunity, and therefore didn't suspect anything, even though the warning signs were blatantly obvious. The email I received asked me to give them an amount of $ for lessons over a certain amount of time. They sent me a check for that money, plus a sum of money for the offsprings personal spending while he was in the US. I eventually figured out it was a scam, and sent them a very profane email back, and did not hear from them again...

UNTIL TODAY! when they sent me the EXACT same email that I received back when this whole business started, which I find positively hilarious, and awesome, because it gives me an opportunity to get back at them.

I am posting this to ask for advice on how to get back at them. I've already composed an email asking for a ridiculous amount of money for lessons, and giving them a false address. Should I send this? Or, is there something better that would get this thing started out on the right foot for me?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater.

If the Scammer has any of your real life information then it is for the best not to Bait him. We like to play safe around here.

This looks like a very specific sounding Scam targeting Music teachers:

Quote:
teach their offspring the bassoon

Now I realize I travel in different circles than you but I don't know many Bassoon players let alone Bassoon teachers so I am assuming ( correct me if I am wrong) that you advertise your services in some manner.

For the Scammer to contact you again is another quandary. Are you sure it is the same one? Scammers have been known to sell scripts and contacts so it may very well be another person.

If you could post the original message and the headers, it might be useful to determine a bit more about this one.

I also encourage you to visit our Sister site Scamwarners.com and tell your tale. They are a good bunch who can help others from potentially falling for this Scam.

Hope some of that made sense...I tend to ramble.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
Jibdoodle
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the reply!

this is the email I received today:

Hello,

I'm Mrs Debbie Mann from Paris,France.during my search for a Bassoon lesson teacher that would always take my son ( Chris is very good speak English ) and I found you..Your advert looks great and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area i am seeking for him... My Son would be coming to US (your city) by next week for a period of time and with his friend for 2 Months.he is just a beginner and he is 16 years old, i want you to help me teach lesson during his stay. So, kindly let me know your charges cost per week's ,in order for me to arrange for his payment before he travels down to your side. I have also made preparation for his personal equipment he will be using privately at home after the lesson during his stay.

Please Advise back on;

(1). your charges per 1 hour twice a week for 2 Months?

(2).The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week?

(3).Tuition address?

I will be looking forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards,

Mrs Debbie Mann

Contrary to what the email says, I have not advertised my services in any location, which scares me a little bit. Also, one of my professors at the university I attend also fell victim to this scam, and actually sent the money they requested. I only was able to escape because the bank found that the check I received was counterfeit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic