SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Book scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

cugor
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Posted recently regarding a translation of an email received from replying to a job ad in the local paper. The ad reply was apparently in pidgin. A few days later , I got a phone call with the caller speaking what sounded to be the same language. All I could make out was something that sounded like my name , "I ya" , and "boog". I told the caller to speak in English. When they did not , I hung up. Today , upon returning from my unpaid work assignment for welfare , I found 3 packages sent UPS 2nd Day Air on the porch , all from college book stores. So it seems "I ya" was "hired" (no interview or job details ever received) and "boog" was "book".

What is the scam? What should I do with the packages (unopened)?
vonpaso xlura
Different and Distinctive

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Call the bookstores and ask them what happened and what you should do.

×110
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
This is very frustrating ... their said they is know transaction ... I feel very ebasared right now ... I feel very dissapoited again
YOU CAN'T EVEN KEEP YOUR BULLSHIT SCAM STORIES STRAIGHT!! YOU AREN'T EVEN A SMART CRIMINAL!! YOU ARE GOING TO PRISON!!
E NO GO BETTER FOR YOUR MAMA NAA ME U DEY WYNE ABI GOD PUNISHED YOU AND YOUR GENERATION
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
Juan Freizwidatt
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like you have been targeted by a work-at-home scam to act as a mule -- someone to receive goods or money and then forward them on.

I suggest you mark each package as "refused" and give them back to the mailman or other delivery service to be returned to the senders.

I'd also suggest filing a report with your local police so that it is on record that you are being victimized. When the shipper has a credit card or fake check bounce back on them, and inevitably that will happen, they will look at you as the receiver and hold you accountable. With a police report on file you have something official to establish that you did not knowingly participate in a crime.

When the scammers call again, hang up. Walk away. They will give up when they realize you are not going along with their scam.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

"please if you want your funds just pay me,!! pay me!! pay me!!"

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
cugor
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Had a feeling that was the type of scam. I contacted the bookstores and have heard back from 2 of the 3. Both reported that they received an online order from the same person (they gave me the name) using a credit card and his address. It was nobody I knew. I will be returning the packages unopened and contacting the police.

Can someone explain what the deal is? Why would someone pay for several books (college textbooks are not cheap!) and send them to someone else to then send somewhere else?
vonpaso xlura
Different and Distinctive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My guess is it works like this:
1. Lad gets a hold of stolen credit card.
2. Lad buys a book and has it sent to mule.
3. Mule forwards it to lad.
4. Lad sells book to local school, thus getting some money from the stolen credit card.

×110
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
This is very frustrating ... their said they is know transaction ... I feel very ebasared right now ... I feel very dissapoited again
YOU CAN'T EVEN KEEP YOUR BULLSHIT SCAM STORIES STRAIGHT!! YOU AREN'T EVEN A SMART CRIMINAL!! YOU ARE GOING TO PRISON!!
E NO GO BETTER FOR YOUR MAMA NAA ME U DEY WYNE ABI GOD PUNISHED YOU AND YOUR GENERATION
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^If this is actually the scam, I find it odd that the lad wouldn't buy things like cell phones, IPads or other electronic gadgets (lads love that stuff) which he could sell like hotcakes on any street corner and instead buy unwieldy textbooks to sell to schools where someone might find it suspicious.

I guess I'll never be able to decipher Lad Think.

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
firehouse5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

College books can be surprisingly expensive. For example standard introductory textbooks in areas like chemistry, psychology or art history (just to pick 3) cost about $150-200 hardback editions from Amazon, and often even more from university bookstores.

In large universities there may be hundreds of students taking a given introductory course each term. Students are often desperate to try and save money on textbooks, and there is time pressure involved as well (need the textbook as soon as the class starts) which may lead to less caution about potential "deals". So there is potential for scammers to make money in this way (especially if they are using stolen CC's to make the purchases!).

If they're buying books at the start of term from university bookshops, it's also likely that the shops are swamped with business at that time (everyone buys books at the start of term) and thus have less time to look suspiciously at possible scams themselves.

I agree you should return the packages and contact the police. People caught up in these "work at home" scams can easily get into trouble for handling stolen goods. Juan Freizwidatt's suggestion is right on.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
Roycropper
Undead Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Next you'll be getting a large check to put in your bank account, sending 90% to the lad via Western Union before it comes back as stolen, of course.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Big Al
The Schmooze-Meister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Could it also be a dry run to see if you are a good mule? First forward a few boxes of books then maybe a box full of fake/stolen checks or CC's?

My Ex's friend forwarded a box for her scammer and had the police on her doorstep a few days later asking her why she was dealing in stolen CC's.
cugor
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Filed a report today and contacted UPS. The packages will be picked up Friday to be returned. Had a package arrive today as well via UPS and one by FedEx (refused on the spot). Have also contacted the bookstores to alert them.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic