SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

My Story - Email threat - Tips on how to detect a Spam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
wh1t3ha7
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So I posted a laptop I was selling in Craigslist. This was a few months back and just today I remembered I had used an email account I had created long long time ago. I had not checked this email account and today I noticed that some people had emailed me about the item.
This is my story and this is how I noticed that it was a SCAM. Im still trying to figure out how I'm going to proceed but in the main time here is the threat of emails and how I noticed that it was a fake (see the bottom for detail info on how to I was able to detect the Scam).

1st Email
================================================================================
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM, <[[email protected]] wrote:

Sorry I was having issues with my email. I now know why I did not sell my
laptop Sad

I still have it though if you are interested.

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Hi,

Do you still have the laptop available for sale at the moment.... I
hope to see the recent picture

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was remailed to you via: craigslist
2nd Email
================================================================================
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

I appreciate your prompt response, However i have a few questions to ask you about the item.

1. For what reason are you selling it.
2. What is your firm selling price ....?
3. Do you mind if i use paypal to process the payment of the item.
4. You rated the item: _/10
5. I am willing to add an extra $160 for the shipping cost and paypal fee.
6. I am sending it to my Husband overseas running a year program as him birthday gift which comes up in 2 weeks.

Kindly reply

Carolyn
3rd Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

Hi,
Thank you for your email.

Please see my answer to your questions below:

1. For what reason are you selling it.
I need to buy a MAC cause Im working on a project. I need some programs that only run on MAC
This is a really good laptop super fast, quiet and very good brand.

2. What is your firm selling price ....?
The least I could go will be $600

3. Do you mind if i use paypal to process the payment of the item.
I would not mind if I can send it to you once I can confirm that the payment went through.

4. You rated the item: _/10
Sorry I didn't even noticed that there was a place to rate things Sad

5. I am willing to add an extra $160 for the shipping cost and paypal fee.
OK sounds good and I will accept paypal if I can ship it once I confirm that the payment went through

6. I am sending it to my Husband overseas running a year program as him birthday gift which comes up in 2 weeks.
If we can make a deal this week and confirm that the payment went through I can send it to you. I will ship it to you and you ship it overseas

4th Email
On Jul 17, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks,

I appreciate your prompt response and been sincere,Am okay with your firm price and i will like to proceed with the transaction.But this is going to mail directly to my husband,Am not in town major reason asking to make the transaction from my paypal account...Can you let me know if this will work for you.

Regards Carolyn

5th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

Where is he at

Sent from my iPhone
Thank you
[ME]... ...

6th Email
On Jul 17, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

I appreciate your response...hes in Military oversea as stated and want this to be a surprise gift to him,I'll cover all the charges and can you let me know if this will work for you

Regards

Carolyn

7th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

That sounds good I thank him for his service. I will be honored to send it to him

Sent from my iPhone
Thank you
[ME]... ...

8th Email
On Jul 17, 2012, at 9:57 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

Can you let me know how to proceed with the payment and is this your valid email attached to your paypal or will you request for the payment...?Keep me posted soon

Warmest Regards

Carolyn

9th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

I will feel a little more comfortable of I could find more info about you. You have Facebook? You live in US may I just call you to confirm the deal.
After that I will send you a link with a PayPal button to complete the transaction.
Do you have a bank account linked to your paypal account? This will speed up the process

Sent from my iPhone
Thank you
[ME]... ...

10th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

I live in US and i can only text you at the moment am at work...Let me know if we can sork this out.

Carolyn

11th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

Sounds good,

So are you willing to pay the 650.00 dollars Im asking for?

I will have to get the shipping details to charge the shipping. We can charge the laptop tonight and tomorrow the shipping.

12th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

I appreciate your response..Yes am okay with your firm price and i will need you to look into Express Mail Local Post Office (USPS) for the delivery,United State Postal Service (USPS) Express Mail 3 to 5 days delivery.

Name: Adeola Deborah Britney
Address:No 20 MS Road Oluwo
City:Abeokuta
State:Ogun State
Zip Code:121101
Phone No:+2348050884347

Keep me posted with valid email attached so i can issue the payment upfront,Regards

Carolyn

13th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

Email: [[email protected]] is for the paypal account.

I will want to send it via UPS so I can get insurance on the shipping. Also, you mentioned this was for your husband but the mailing info you are giving me is for a woman Adeola Deborah Britney

14th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

I appreciate your prompt response and yes USPS Express Mail have insurance likewaise so i will prefer it on USPS rather than UPS, Yes that the mailing address to him, Woman!!!,thanks in advance

Warmest Regards

Carolyn

15th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]] wrote:

Sounds good, what do we do to start the process?

16th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

I appreciate your response....yes i issue the payment tonight and keep you posted asap.

Carolyn

17th Email
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Subject: I'VE MADE THE PAYMENT [ME]....................................................... Asus X52F i5 - 15.5" Laptop like new!!!!! - $650 (Orange County)

Thanks [Me],

I want to inform you that I've made the payment and i will like you to let me if you have been notified of the payment and again i will appreciate if you can get a warm wishes card along when shipping out tomorrow....this on United State Postal Service (USPS) Regular Express Mail 3 to 5 Days Delivery
Address: No 20 M.S Road Oluwo
City: Abeokuta
State: Ogun State
Zip Code: 121101
Phone No: +2348050884347

keep me posted tomorrow when you ship out,
Warmest Regards
Carolyn

==========================================================================================================================================================================================

Here is how I noticed that it was a fake:

2nd email
I am willing to add an extra $160 for the shipping cost and paypal fee.
“Really? Who does that?”

4th Email

I appreciate your prompt response and been sincere,Am okay with your firm price and i will like to proceed with the transaction.But this is going to mail directly to my husband,Am not in town major reason asking to make the transaction from my paypal account
"Is hard to find a buyer that will pay what you are asking for plus pay for shipping"

6th Email

I appreciate your response...hes in Military oversea as stated and want this to be a surprise gift to him,I'll cover all the charges and can you let me know if this will work for you

“Could not tell me where her husband was”

10th Email
I live in US and i can only text you at the moment am at work...Let me know if we can sork this out.

"Just the fact that she could not give me her number to call her and confirm the deal, tell me what state in US she lives sounded weird"

12th Email

I appreciate your response..Yes am okay with your firm price and i will need you to look into Express Mail Local Post Office (USPS) for the delivery,United State Postal Service (USPS) Express Mail 3 to 5 days delivery.
Address:No 20 MS Road Oluwo
City:Abeokuta
State:Ogun State
Zip Code:121101
Phone No:+2348050884347
Keep me posted with valid email attached so i can issue the payment upfront,Regards

"This is where I started searching because I knew it was a scam"

14th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Carolyn Britney <[email protected] wrote:

Thanks [ME],

I appreciate your prompt response and yes USPS Express Mail have insurance likewaise so i will prefer it on USPS rather than UPS, Yes that the mailing address to him, Woman!!!,thanks in advance

Warmest Regards

Carolyn
“Who preffers USPS over UPS first of all and her husband is a Woman?!!!!”

13th Email
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM, [ME]... ... <[[email protected]]
wrote:

Email: [[email protected]] is for the paypal account.
I will want to send it via UPS so I can get insurance on the shipping. Also, you mentioned this was for your husband but the mailing info you are giving me is for a woman Adeola Deborah Britney

[Just what she says about her "husband" ] lol really?

Hope this help
PM me for any questions

wh1t3ha7
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got the fake emails from PayPal. Noticed the email that is coming from. Unfortunately you cannot see the "authenticity " of the email due to the limitations on the forum but there was logos and banners it looked pretty legit.

Date: Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Subject: Notification of an Instant Payment Received from Carolyn Britney ([email protected])
Routing Code:C840-L001-Q999-T535
To: [[email protected]]

Dear,[[email protected]]
You have an Instant Payment from Carolyn Britney for your craigslist item(s) Asus X52F i5 Laptop - 15.5
Transaction Date: July 17, 2012
Transaction ID: 5Y758892CS5722206
Amount: $810.00 USD
Buyer's email: [email protected]

Shipping Address
Adeola Deborah Britney
N0 20 M.S Oluwo Road
Abeokuta
Ogun State Nigeria

Note: This PayPal Payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "Approved" but will be credited to your account until the shipment is verified.
Therefore we urge you to get the merchandise shipped to the buyer's address and verify it by sending the shipment tracking number details to us at : [email protected]
This transaction is not fraudulent and you are assured of quality service. We encourage you to ship the item immediately (due to PayPal's policy) as your payment has been confirmed by us. Security is of critical importance at craigslist.

Please reply to this email with any questions you may have concerning this reversal.

PayPal Account Review Department
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Security Advisory: When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure to open up a new web browser (e.g Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL to make sure you are on the real PayPal website. For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review the Security Tips in our Security Center.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protect Your Password

Never give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

Please do reply to this email. This mailbox is monitored and you will receive a response from our customer care.

PayPal Email ID: PP1525

Second email

Date: Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Subject: PayPal Payment Confirmation ***(Shipment Verification Needed)***
To: [[email protected]]

Dear,[ME]

Your item has been paid for,A payment of $810.00 USD has been confirmed and deducted from the buyer's account and been on hold due to security.We are using this medium in securing both the buyer and the seller on Craigslist.We advise you to ship the item and send the tracking number to us for verification,You can ship the merchandise to the confirmed address within 24hours and get back to us immediately with the shipment details.

Please forward the shipment details to us,we need the proof of the item bought from you for verification.

Shipping Address:
Adeola Deborah Britney
No 20 M.S Oluwo Road
Abeokuta
Ogun State
Nigeria 121101

***Please Note***
Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "Confirmation Email" from PayPal® notifying you that the money has been credited.Note that we will be responsible for the item loss or damage once we receive the tracking number

Copyright© 1999-2012 PayPal . All rights reserved

PayPal Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United States as an electronic money institution.

Thank you for using PayPal

PayPal Email ID PP1525

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic