SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Payment Protection Insurance phone calls

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Grunty24
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

I am getting hassled by phone, from someone wanting to represent me in recovering PPI payments from loans.

As far as I know, I have never paid PPI, although they tell me differently, but I have googled the phone number and it seems to be a scam.

I can find nothing on the site about them, but wondered if anyone has any experience, and was wondering what mileage I could get out of stringing them along.

If they are just regular "ambulance chasers", i.e. from a genuine company, I will just ask them to leave me alone. But it does sound like a call centre in a far-flung area of the world.

Ta
Darsotpor
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We get plagued by these sorts of phone calls, too.

What annoys me about these sorts of calls is that the message is always some pre-recorded spiel that doesn't allow you to speak to a real live person, you're only given a choice of 'press this number for further information' or 'press that number to unsubscribe'. Why do the callers assume that everyone has an outstranding loan/credit card/mortgage - we don't have any of these things and I want to get these calls stopped!

I daren't press one of the numbers suggested as I'm concerned lest I'm being transferred to some sort of expensive calling system that will add pounds to our phone bill.

We have installed a telephone answering machine that's on 24/7, to enable us to find out who's been phoning, so I presume when the scammer hears our recorded message they know our number is a genuine one and our number gets passed on to someone else's list etc.

We were for a long time plagued by telesales calls from a very well-known UK double glazing company that we've never ever dealt with and the only way we could stop them calling was to completely change our landline telephone number. I don't want to have to do this again to stop these PPI -type calls, but it's getting to the stage where it looks like we mught have to.

Can anyone offer some advice, please?
Hello Kitty
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you not call the telephone company and get the number's barred.

I get call's from some company claiming that my PC has a virus on it. So I pretend to be a little old lady with a bad cough who keeps asking them questions etc. After half an hour she tells them that her window's are open and how grateful she is for their help.

Shocked

THE FBI WILL VISIT YOU FOR INTERROGATIONS,BE WARNED FOR THE LAST TIME.

told the diplomat that are husband have give up the ghost
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been getting these recently too. Yesterday I replied to one of their text messages & was called by a 'claim handler' in a UK call centre. It seems like they're a regular bunch of 'ambulance chasers'. Of more concern is how they got my number - I asked them but they became evasive & eventually hung up on me. I managed to find out that the texts are sent by a separate marketing company - if you reply to the text, your number gets passed on to a claim management company.

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Pisspot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have recently had a couple of these to my home landline. One of them at least was undoubtedly from an Indian call centre. The one I listened to longest addressed me by name (not difficult if they have my phone number - ditto address as I am not ex-directory) and claimed that I had had a loan in 2004 and was due for repayment of the PPI. This is not so but worryingly they did correctly identify my bank. At this point I hung up after telling them their information was incorrect.

It is possible they were 'ambulance chasers' but the other possibility is that they were going to ask me for my account details so that they could transfer the money. I never got far enough into the script to find out.

Certainly there is a lot of TV advertising at the moment about PPI mis-selling and claiming back money. Recently I read that a representative of one of the big banks had intimated that some of the claims being made (by solicitors ?) related to people who had never had a loan let alone PPI on a loan. So not all scammers are in Nigeria or India, nor do they prey only on 'little people'.

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I get called 4-5 times a day by different companies. Never had PPI, they just keep trying numbers in case they find someone who has. Caller ID displays are very useful, after a while you recognise the numbers of the main culprits and just don't answer the phone. I haven't found an effective way to bar them yet.
justwhistle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

These guys are great and they are free!

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Stopped all ppi and other crap calls to my land line.

'cook and bull story' & 'I'm beginning to think you're only fun fooling me' - Doni boi
'You big fool think you know IP, I cold be anywear' - dave
'Well am very confused about the hole thing
darling' - Paul
I,m very disappointed on you - David Donald
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic