SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Nanny Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The link from newspaper would not work right so here is the article.

Quote:
A student at the University of Missouri-Columbia thought she had found the perfect summer job — as a nanny for the 6-year-old son of a counselor for the deaf. Instead, she lost $2,000 in a con game.

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is warning people looking for child-care jobs to be extremely cautious when dealing with anyone they meet through the Internet. Scammers have been using so-called “nanny scams” for years to steal money from unsuspecting job seekers.

Frank Cilona, BBB president and CEO, said the thieves are becoming increasingly sophisticated and will go to great lengths to build online relationships with their victims.

“In this case, the scammer said she hoped the student would become a part of the family and even emailed what was supposed to be a photograph of herself with the boy,” Cilona said. “These people are calculating, cunning and devious, and will do whatever they need to do to steal money from innocent people.”

The student said she made contact with a person who identified herself as Amanda Smith through the site Care.com.

Care.com is an online resource designed to connect families with potential employees offering care for children, seniors and pets. The site has posted a warning on how to avoid baby-sitting scams.

In an initial email, “Smith” told the student she could only correspond by email because of a hearing disability. She said she was a single mother, living with her son in Portland, Ore., but they were planning to move to the Columbia area this month. She said she needed a sitter to be with the boy five hours a day.

The scammer ultimately sent what was alleged to be a $2,775 deposit to the student’s bank account, telling the student to keep $375 as advance payment for her first week’s salary. The remaining money should be used to pay for delivery of a wheelchair for her son who had been involved in a recent accident.

Soon after, though, the mother told the student that she had made other arrangements to buy a wheelchair. The scammer told the student to take out $2,400 and send it via a MoneyGram wire transfer to a wheelchair supplier in Fort Worth, Texas.

The day after she sent the MoneyGram, the student discovered that the bank had determined that the $2,775 deposit was fake and that she now had to repay the bank the $2,400 that had been withdrawn.

TIPS AND ADVICE

The BBB offers the following tips on how to identify a nanny or babysitting scam:

• Be cautious if a “parent” wants to communicate only via text messaging or emails. He or she might be trying to hide a foreign accent or withhold a phone number.

• Look out for emails or texts containing poor English or grammatical errors.

• Be wary of anyone who is hesitant to give out personal information, such as place of employment, address, names of friends or other references. He or she might be fearful of a potential employee checking out his or her background.

• Beware of “sob stories” or anything else that appears to try to get sympathy.

• If a potential employer asks you for money for any reason, it is likely a scam. Never transfer money via Western Union, MoneyGram or a Green Dot Money Card to anyone you do not know.

I had never heard of a Green Dot Money Card. Is this new?

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
Vampiremerchant
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No it is not new, do a search on Eater it has been mentioned before.. Laughing

Closed lad accounts x 35 Easter Egg

Mortar x 100

Thailand (with thanks to Nigel Tuffnel)
Thailand United Kingdom
Thailand
Thailand
Thailand

My dear Brother , if I have to you to scam you, May the WROGHT of GOD be upon me and my generation
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Sorry lapse of memory on this card.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

site is up and running since Nov 2011, https://www.greendot.com/greendot

Any dealing on line is potentially dangerous as you have no clue what's on the other end of that email!
Everyone can fall for a scam, they just need the right angle at the right moment
After being here for so long, I almost fell for one this winter Embarassed , but then almost is not even half, so I was just slow in figuring it out Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic