SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Read notify and other email tracking

View next topic
View previous topic

SeedySteph
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

I've been reading this great forum for a few months now (great job everyone's doing here btw). I've just started annoying my first loan scammer Twisted Evil

I just have a couple of question about IP tracking. My ip location shows as being very close to my home (like within 3 miles Shocked). I know this is just co-incidence as I happen to be quite near to one of my ISPs hubs, but it still make me a little uncomfortable.

I'm using gmail through their webmail interface as I understand this does not append my internet IP to outgoing headers?

My main question was about email tracking services like read notify. They generally exploit bugs in email clients to provide their tracking information. Does anyone know if these services could silently provide a scammer with my IP through gmail's webmail interface?
Robert Heinrich der 1.
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They don't exploit a bug, they simply place an image file in the mail, that has to be reloaded from a server. as nobody else has access to this file (usually a transparent 1x1 gif) the only one accessing it is the receiver.

Some services allow to chose or upload the image file, for example you can use a complete WU-Receipt as tracking image and write into the mail, that he has to load it from a server.

Easter Egg 2012 Safari Lagos - Accra - Kasoa (and back) 2x490km Safari Lagos - Nairobi (and back) 2x ~5000km, Nairobi - Mbiri 2x130km on easter sunday, Closed lad accounts x12 , 6x Penisprint, Dai Teatime / Anderson Frank: but have been there since about 1hr plus no sign of them and was interrogated by the police and almost arrested

Closed lad accounts x4

am opening a porkfarm
deadk1ng
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

you can turn off the "auto show images" section of gmail and then you dont have to worry about it

SeedySteph
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think they do exploit a few bugs in some clients to get around privacy settings (I think there's a hack used involving a hidden iframe and one using css background images). I guess all these holes are fixed nowadays though.

I've found the option anyway in gmail and disabled it.

Thanks Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic