SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

"Global Warming" conference scam - how is this suc

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BaitingNewbie
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I got this email in my "spam only" account, and the headers trace to Africa. It is obviously a scam, but... I am not sure how it ever works. I mean, I doubt most people would read beyond the first few sentences:

Quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is to announce the call for participation at the Global Warming Conference 2012(GWC12), 24th - 28th February 2012 at Emirates Garden Hotel, 23 Brook Street, London, W1K 4HA, United Kingdom.

Background

The United Nations Climate Change Conference COP17 2011 in Durban, South Africa highlighted the major challenges and opportunities associated with climate change as we move towards post 2012 carbon dioxide (CO2) reduction targets. In January 2008, the UK raised the bar by announcing a target of cutting CO2 emissions by 80% by 2050.

The email proceeds to ask for people who would like to submit papers to submit a 500 word proposal. "Papers focused on low carbon solutions and sustainable innovation related to the following topics are particularly welcomed"

I am baffled. Does this ever make *any* money?
Robert Heinrich der 1.
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

welcome to eater

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214672

at some point, hotel reservation..., he wants to see money.

I think, most of the receivers aren't interested in this sort of scam. but the few students and postdocs, who receive that kind of scam might be hit by it, totally unaware that they are even a targetgroup.

and a nice trip to a hotel somewhere far away, with the institute paying it, sounds promising. it's not the victims money but the money of the institute, where they work.

Easter Egg 2012 Safari Lagos - Accra - Kasoa (and back) 2x490km Safari Lagos - Nairobi (and back) 2x ~5000km, Nairobi - Mbiri 2x130km on easter sunday, Closed lad accounts x12 , 6x Penisprint, Dai Teatime / Anderson Frank: but have been there since about 1hr plus no sign of them and was interrogated by the police and almost arrested

Team Eze, 2 Safari lagos - cotonou and lagos - cotonou (he hated it).
The threatening is increasing day by day with different cursed of animals, and i don't know what to do now. ---- am angry for your head
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater!

I have three characters going to the conference, and we've been battling websites and domains. They make money by charging reservations at the nonexistent hotel.

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi BaitingNewbie and welcome to Eater.

Unfortunately these conference scams target many researchers and other professionals, focusing on many non-English speaking countries. When one of the victims is told that for a small fee they be able to attend the conference and present their research paper, it can be very tempting.

Here is an email from the scammer to a RL victim. The next day the victim sent £415.80 to the scammer and then a day later, found out it was a scam and contacted me.

Quote:
Dear Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx

This is to acknowledge the receipt of your hotel reservation receipt at the Queens London Hotel.We wish to inform you that the sum of £2000.00 had been disbursed as access grant to cover the cost of your air ticket-departure 9th February,2012-Bali//Jakarta//Hong Kong//London Heathrow and return on 15th February,2012 -London Heathrow//Hong Kong//Jakarta//Bali, travel insurance, visa fee and per diem to the International Scientific Conference on Clean Energy and Climate Change (ISCCECC 12) in London.

However,the UK Home Office upon verification of your ISCCECC 12 participation confirmation had instructed that every delegation to the ISCCECC 12 events will make a Mandatory Refundable Security Deposit(MRSD) of £500.00 per delegation,to the ISCCECC 12 immigration unit.This deposit of £500.00 per delegation shall be refunded upon your arrival to the International Scientific Conference on Clean Energy and Climate Change (ISCCECC 12) at the Queens London Hotel on 10th February,2012.

The Mandatory Refundable Security Deposit(MRSD) is very important,your delegation will not be involved with the payment of any other expenses to attend the ISCCECC 12 events,such as travel insurance,air ticket and transport fee,we had made adequate arrangement to cover these costs via your group £2000.00 access grant that had been approved.We had also asked our ticketing agent in London to buy your e-ticket,according to your BA flight itinerary,departure- 9th February,2012-Bali//Jakarta//Hong Kong//London Heathrow and return on 15th February,2012 - London Heathrow//Hong Kong//Jakarta//Bali. Details will be communicated, as soon as he buys your e-ticket within the next two days.The balance of your access grant less air ticket cost,will be reimbursed on your arrival to the International Scientific Conference on Clean Energy and Climate Change(ISCCECC 12).

The only item remaining to complete your registration formality is the £ 500.00 Mandatory Refundable Security Deposit (MRSD) imposed per delegation attending the ISCCECC 12.The deposit is also meant to assure UK immigration authorities that you will return to your home country after the ISCCECC 12 events.In the last ISCCECC 11,some delegates from Sub-Shara Africa and South East Asia were no where to be found as soon as they got visa to attend our conference.This time around we are not taking things for granted.

Make the payment of £500.00 as Mandatory Refundable Security Deposit (MRSD) in the name of ISCCECC 12 events Immigration Agent,via Western Union Money Transfer with the info below;

a. Receiver's Name (Mr. Imogen Rhys)
b. 81 East London Street, Edinburgh Midlothian, London EH74BQ,UK.
c. Name of Sender:
d. MTCN or Secret Number:
e. Where payment is sent from:
f. Amount Sent:

Do send in the MTCN as soon as you pay the Mandatory Refundable Security Deposit (MRSD) on or before Monday,9th January,2012 to enable the ISCCECC 12 events organising committee issue your deposit confirmation letter and our visa agent in Jakarta confirm your visa appointment interview date on your behalf at the UK Embassy Jakarta on Tuesday,10th January,2012 prior to your visit to the UK Embassy Jakarta for your visa authorization.

We look forward to hearing from you at the earliest!

Sincerely,

Dr. Mason Mann
Conference Chair
81 East London Street, Edinburgh Midlothian, London EH74BQ,UK.
Phone: +44 702 406 8488, +44 702 402 0466
Fax: +44 702 408 2344
Email: [email protected]

The site is now dead and the victim is a bit poorer but much wiser. Wink

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
Deacon Mayhem
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

vonpaso xlura wrote:
Welcome to Eater!

I have three characters going to the conference, and we've been battling websites and domains. They make money by charging reservations at the nonexistent hotel.

I was checking out this blog and noticed that the scammers even had an actual website up and running for their nonexistent hotel (skanghotel.com):

http://webfraudsec.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/human-welfare-assn-conference-scam/
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ They have many fake websites. Once we are aware of them, we try to kill them:

Quote:
lookup failed www.skanghotel.com
Could not find an IP address for this domain name.
Domain Whois record

Queried whois.internic.net with "dom skanghotel.com"...

Domain Name: SKANGHOTEL.COM
Registrar: DYNADOT, LLC
Whois Server: whois.dynadot.com
Referral URL: http://www.dynadot.com
Name Server: NS1.DYNADOT.COM
Name Server: NS2.DYNADOT.COM
Updated Date: 07-dec-2011
Creation Date: 02-dec-2011
Expiration Date: 02-dec-2012

^^^ This one is dead. Wink

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

See http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214672

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic