SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Need Opinions On An Email That We Received Where I Work

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Benjamin_Franklin
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd like to get your thoughts on an email we received where I work. I handle all of our email tech support, and occasionally I see emails which are inquiries needing to be forwarded to our sales folks. Among those emails, there are sometimes ones that I look at and wonder if it's some sort of scam or other deception. Such an email arrived this morning and I am wondering what y'all think.

Here's the email content:

Quote:
Your preschool workbook seems quite effective and I am interested to introduce the same in our school (Kindergaten classes). Therefore, I request you to please provide samples of the book to get the opinion of teachers. Cost and other related details, if any, may also be provided. Thanks.
Shafiq
Principal
Pakistan Education Academy
Dubai

The email came from a gmail address, which I found a bit strange. This Pakistan Education Academy does have their own domain and website (www.pea.ae) so I kind of expect the school principal to have an address from that domain.

Maybe the paranoid part of me is over analyzing and there's nothing to worry about with it, but I dunno, something just doesn't sit right. Any opinions? Could it be a "send your product list" type of scam but the scammer is targeting a company and mentioning relevant products in order to establish a sense of legitimacy?

"BIG BODY LIKE ELEPHANT, small knowledge and wisdom like mosquito. SHAME ON YOU THE FIRST FOOL OF THE GREATEST ORDER." - Wilson Smith<br>"I HAVE A GOOD NEWS FOR YOU, YOU CAN STILL QUIT THIS JOB BEFORE YOU GO HANGYOURSELF." - Wilson Smith<br>"I want you to understand that those guys at Western Union are nothing but enemies of progress" - Jude 0koya

Closed lad accounts Easter Egg 2012
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you Google any of the phrases? That might give you a hint. (A tip I got from Dorothy TYVM)
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The sign-off looks very odd with just the first name. I would think that a real educator would give a more complete name.

Sand Timer Hana, Flip It, G spot, Rosy, Cynthia
Cellphone - web store
Just read the posting on Eater. You are one sick motherf****r! Smile-Alan
"The skull with bunny ears was a good enough warning" - Nailgunner
mentors- http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php
This Derick moral monster! From http:/ /scamnewss.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/derrick-ratt-scammer-beware/ Vlad blog
http://tinyurl.com/btf7872 - Toolbox
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why is the Pakistan Education Academy registered in the United Arab Emirates? (I can't access the UAE whois server now, but .ae is the tld for UAE.)

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Benjamin_Franklin
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Big Al - I did search for his email address, his name and the name of the school, and did a quick look through their site. No match on his address. I did find a LinkedIn profile that could be the guy, but it's a stretch at best. The phrasing seems pretty specific to contacting us (which does add to his credibility or cleverness I suppose), so I hadn't tried searching for any of what he wrote.

@next victim - I spotted that as well and felt it was unusual. Likewise, there is no sense of professionalism in the message. It's just strange. There's a typo in his message as well, but if English is not his primary language, I can understand that slipping through.

"BIG BODY LIKE ELEPHANT, small knowledge and wisdom like mosquito. SHAME ON YOU THE FIRST FOOL OF THE GREATEST ORDER." - Wilson Smith<br>"I HAVE A GOOD NEWS FOR YOU, YOU CAN STILL QUIT THIS JOB BEFORE YOU GO HANGYOURSELF." - Wilson Smith<br>"I want you to understand that those guys at Western Union are nothing but enemies of progress" - Jude 0koya

B8er
Associate Boomdazzler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I also couldn't connect to the ae WhoIs server. However I did do a comparison of the map on their Contact Us section with a Google Maps of the same area and there is a "Pakistan Education Acadamy" highlighted on the Google Maps page, so it looks like the organisation is legitimate.

The question that is left is whether the email came from the organisation or a scammer and with it being a gmail address it will be difficult to answer. With regards the using just a forename, I have seen some official documents prepared by a Pakistani and they signed off with just a forename.

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip 🚽
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1746 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
Benjamin_Franklin
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I reached the same conclusion B8er - there's no way to know for sure whether or not this guy is legit.

I wound up sending the email on to our sales folks, but mentioned that it seemed suspicious to me. I may ask later to see what they decided to do, and how things turned out.

piecrust
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tabinda Al Gazala is the principal according to several sources including:
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/pakistan-education-academy.php
Unless there's been a quick change of Head without the www being told about it, it's a big old fraud.

You would look good in Gold
Never use windows auto-fill again, use something much more secure like lastpass for free.

"I am a man of hing reputation." - Loan lad Billy Hord.
"don't even think of given me that crap that you are Deaf and dump or my line is cut off , i don't have a phone please don't.." - Loan lad Billy Hord. (Having been baited to hell)
MuzunguTheHuntress
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Honestly, it sounds like a creative home-schooler is looking for free texts. If I had to pay the cost of living prices in Dubai, I'd be looking for freebies, too, lol. Did they give an address that corresponds with the actual facility? If so, then somebody could have asked their secretary to send an inquiry - and he/she's not familiar with standard business protocol. It's common practice for businesses to ask for "samples" - but we usually request an MOQ and a price break-out, as well as inquire as to the cost of the sample. (ain't nothin' free in this world ) I've even paid for items that had a $2 usd price point - but I've also had companies send samples of expensive essential oils in expensive glass vials ... for free. (*that* oddly enough, makes me more cautious than the people who want reimbursed for their $2 POS). Being one who sends such e-mails regularly, I say it smacks of reality - but there's a lot of necessary info missing. When ordering from a new publisher, I always ask MOQ per title, etc. Publishers who send fully printed texts often 'remainder' them before sending - or send a copy of a galley like they'd send to a reviewer. <imho, etc etc .. all caveats apply>

Anderson: ask the Doc if my perfect sperm can make you pregnant and i wont fail. (to my character's recent surgery - a hysterectomy.)
'abeg' challenged "David Nelson", worlds most inept romance lad: se u won dey abuse me ni?? (from english to laddish in 2.5 seconds.)
Easter Egg 2012 Closed lad accounts x8 Mc Fry
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ I think you are right that someone is looking for free materials.

A way to frustrate the lad is to send him a NDA for him to sign and return. Tell you mailed it to the school office by snail mail. You await it's return. If he says thank you, send the school an NDA by snail mail. If he complains, then you know.

NDA Non Disclosure Agreement.

When lads use the credentials of a real establishment, sending stuff to them to the real entity is always a source for frustration. I did that to a banker. Sent the WU as a money order. (not really) and that caused the lad much frustration. Then we got the MO changed to a straight WU transfer. I FAXed the MTCH and test question to the real bank (not really). The lad hated that dolla chop by the real bank. Good luck. Very Happy

If the real school has a real fax number, tell the lad you faxed the NDA and await the reply fax.

Sweet. Fax +971-4-3347112

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
Benjamin_Franklin
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hadn't thought of the looking for freebies angle. Definitely a good point. Well hopefully out sales people are aware of crap like that. It's not really my responsibility to hawk over them, so I'm just going to have to trust that they're careful about it.

Assuming that this person is looking for free stuff, this wouldn't be the first time. It's kind of surprising how many people write to us asking for donations or free gift codes to apps. I usually ignore them unless it's clearly for a legitimate school wanting to preview our software before they make a purchase. You can usually tell if they are real because their messages come from an IT person and their email is professional looking, unlike this guy from Dubai.

MuzunguTheHuntress
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

<snicker> ... not the least bit surprised at how many people write asking for free product. Not scammers - just people angling for a gimmee. However, when they present themselves as a legitimate operation, it tends to irritate me. I have a large metal box where I file all such requests - the pic might be in one of the other threads - perhaps 'wheelie bin' thread. Most helpful for the endless begging. I get, on average, requests for 4x my monthly gross .. and they no longer say "would you care to" - now they're specific - and getting greedier. I'm sure your sales staff will nip 'em in the bud. Good instincts - if it smells like a scam ...

Anderson: ask the Doc if my perfect sperm can make you pregnant and i wont fail. (to my character's recent surgery - a hysterectomy.)
'abeg' challenged "David Nelson", worlds most inept romance lad: se u won dey abuse me ni?? (from english to laddish in 2.5 seconds.)
Easter Egg 2012 Closed lad accounts x8 Mc Fry
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lads send similar mail when doing credit card overpayment scams which are usualy targeted to the recipients line of business. There is one big thing missing in this one though. "Do you accept credit cards". I do not see evidence of a scam unless he is really slow playing it.

I do have a sense of deja vu though. Seems like I've seen something posted similar here or scamwarners...

Closed lad accounts Goat Golden Goat  Mc Fry Pole Dancer Mortar  Tattoo Easter Egg 2011

Vcamera Off to see the wizard!

United States United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Safari Brother Mike co-bait with NWM : Agbor, Nigeria to Douala
Safari Brother Mike again with the help of Juan and Allst@R : Agbor to Abuja
Safari Pastor Clet Star Wars Safari Accra-Bauchi Co-Bait with NWM and the Rebels 
Safari Justice my He@vy Elecric1ty lad Accra to Tamale with the help of Alls@r and Juan
Safari Operation "Lagos spy" 
Safari The Dynamic Dumbasses 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic