SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Identity theft scam

View next topic
View previous topic

pineappleforgery
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Edit: On second thoughts, perhaps not best to mess with this one

A friend of mine recently got her email account and, presumably facebook as well, hacked and the result was this particularly sinister scam email. I was somewhat p**sed off by this, which led me to find this site and post the scam here for revenge purposes. You will note that the full name has been edited out by me, but the reply to address of this email was
I give you all full clearance to let rip, as I soon will be doing myself!

Quote:
I hope this message gets to you in a good mood,I came down to London England with my family on a short vacation unfortunately we got mugged at a gun point,all cash credit card and cell phone were all stolen off It was so freaking scary for us but to God be the glory that we still have our life and passport,we have been to the local police and also to the embassy glad they are helping with a return flight that we take us back home,the only problem we are having right now is the money to settle the hotel bills before leaving..

Wondering if you could help us with some money to settle the hotel bills and also get a cab to the airport...I promise to refund back the money as soon as we get back home

You can have the money wired to me through any western union store around you,all you will need is name on my passport and my present location below

Name:
Address : 7 Albemarle Street, London W1S 4HQ, United Kingdom
Amount: $1,800

Kindly get back to me with the western union confirmation control number as soon as the money is been wired

Let know when you are going and how long it will take you to have it done

Warm Regards.

Last edited by pineappleforgery on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately, it's not the best idea to mess with this one. He could have quite a bit of information on your friend, since he has gotten into her email and possibly facebook. He opened that address specifically to use on her friends. If people mess with him enough to make him angry, he may retaliate by using the information he has on your friend to cause her more problems.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You might be right, come to think about it
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Properly organized, the bait could become a dis information campaign. One of these was done a couple years ago.

Read this for ideas. I don't have the time now to lead one of these baits. Anyone want to try?
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181869&highlight=australia+london

The problem for the las was the target moved with a new job and everyone was looking for her, including the new employer.

This bait required baiters to share intel in the background as concerned family and friends do keep in touch with each other too. This mob caused some problems for the lad.

The background coordination started on page 2 of the bait.

Quote:

Now for baiters reading this.. PM me your bait address and persona email. To make this difficult, I am offering to "contact her" friends and tell them she is being a jerk to me and refusing assistance and ask for advice. You can use my comments to ask her about her refusing assistance if you wish to be a common friend. This could be problems if some of her friends know each other. It does make sense some of us do know each other and are discussing her difficulty.

You can use comments from me to make life difficult for her. She already has help right there in London. You can decide from that to not bother sending a WU or such. Don't write the lad before I write you. I'm waiting for the dinner to fail. The lad is nowhere in London so the dinner will fail.

Email is from IP 41.138.183.141 again.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
pineappleforgery
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I've suggested this kind of bait to her husband, I'll see what he says, assuming his account isn't hacked too!
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Let me make this abundantly clear. We have rules about safe baiting, and this does NOT qualify.

Lad was in the victim's box, and possibly her facebook.
We have no way of knowing what information lad accessed/copied/saved/forwarded.

He likely had/has access to much of her personal information, including address, phone, work information, friends, family info, other email addresses she has that are connected, websites she belongs to. He potentially has access to everything from online buying information to banking info and credit card information. If she uses the same passwords anywhere else, he may have gained access there too.

So a bunch of baiters pile on, send him running in circles, and he finally suspects he is being played with. Who is he going to blame?
Very possibly the original victim.

So, ask the victim:
-Does she want her facebook account reported as a scam and closed? Or any other email/social networking accounts the scammer found in the information he had?
-Does she want thousands of scam emails sent out to random people in her name (and then to deal with the police if a victim falls for the scam and reports HER as the scammer?)
-Does she want her home address used as the return address in fake check scams? (here she can deal with both the police and angry victims)
-Does she want any other email addresses she has closed and/or used as the return address in scams?
-Does she want her facebook friends, family, even her employer harassed about her?
-Does she want her name/address/personal info used in romance scams or fake job scams or rental scams(again leading clueless victims to blame her?)
-Does she want any photos in her email box used in scams?
-Does she want harassing phone calls to her home/work/cellphone numbers?
There are many other things that could happen, depending on what information he has collected--but in the end, what matters is that he has the means to cause her quite a bit of grief.

You wouldn't do this if the lad had your own information--why would it be acceptable to play when someone else's info is compromised?

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Consider this one closed, it just made me angry and reason is somewhat lacking when I'm angry. At least I had the sense to wait until I calmed down before ACTUALLY doing something. It was fun to consider doing it for a while, though, just to get back at the b*stards, but this one isn't safe.
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The bait I linked to was successful. The replies were watched closely for geolocation data. The bait was to make it clear to the lad that the RL info was out of date. When relatives called and wrote each other the lad dropped the scam. The vic was able to reclaim the FB account and change the PW.

I believe a small post was made regarding the theft of the account and announcement of a recent move was made, but no details given due to security reasons.

As far as we can tell the lad got nothing for his effort. No known friend or family actually sent money,

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic