SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

cold call bill payment

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
SaraJane
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

happening in Belfast N.I. a plausible sounding person will ring you and tell you that you owe your telephone company additional money. He will request your credit card details and the 3 digit security number. If you don't believe him he will tell you that he will cut off your phone. If you doubt him he will tell you to make a call and surprisingly your phone is dead, you can't call out. He then rings back and demands payment. If you doubt him he will give you the telephone company number and tell you to call it. If you do, surprisingly nobody knows what you are talking about. it is a SCAM. It works like this, the person who makes the call is the only one who can terminate it. He merely holds down the mute button on his end and can hear you trying to call out. You cant of course because the first call has not been terminated. When you give up, he rings you back and many people are fooled into giving the details. Now they are free to spend your money! info came from psni facebook page.
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In most places this holding of a line no longer works. The newer phone systems disconnect when either party hangs up.
Try that with your home phone and cell phone to find out if it works on your system or a friend.

What always works is to tell them you have to check your credit limit. I'll call my card then call you back. This clears the line so you can call the real phone company and check your due amount if any.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As Agent1002 said, this is no longer possible in many locations.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/btscam.asp

It looks like this scam was first reported in 2009. Whether the scam is currently active in Belfast, I don't know, as often warnings are recirculated, with locations changed, for years after the scams exist. Still, it is best to always follow a simple rule: Never give your confidential financial information to someone who calls you, regardless of the reason.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic