SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Phone Commission scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Feegle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried posting this at Scamwarners, but it seems the forums are giving me problems.

A friend of mine recently received a call from a lady with an odd American accent - we don't live in America. The gist of the call was that the “operating system on your computer is corrupt and data will be affected". In order to fix the problem you were meant to call +213002322 to get a code that would solve the issue. Fortunately they smelled a rat and checked with their local PC repair shop before calling. The number is one of those that charges exorbitant rates for dialing it and pays a commission to the owner. According to the repair guy, the bill could easily have come to a couple hundred USD.

I know this isn't the kind of scam you usually deal with, but I still thought it might be useful to try to get the information out there. Googling the number has not given me any hits, but some of you may have more luck.
Herrmann
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
This telephone number is most likely a Algeria number. Specific information on this number range is not available. This might mean that this particular telephone number does not exist.

this is what I found at numberingplans dot com; maybe someone can find out more.

Herrmann
Mortar 5 Nigeria x4 ... lost count already ... Vcamera x2

Due to the recent budget cuts, the cost of electricity, gas and oil as well as current economic conditions, 'The Light at the end of the tunnel' has been turned off. - we apologise for the inconvenience
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Those in the US can use a Google Voice number to call. Without funds in the account for the free service only, calls to the number will fail. This is the best filter I have against surprise fees. You can't call a per minute number with Google Voice.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, unfortunately this is quite common scam.
Just keep in mind that if you own the pc (as opposed to your employer for example) nobody but you can know if the pc has any viruses or not.

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I depends on what your computer is doing.

If it is being used to spam your mail address book, others will know it before you do. Most often your computer will not give out your home phone number because it does not have it. This is why the calls can be identified as less than honest. If I email you back that your computer is spewing spam, than pay attention.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic