SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Please do not kill Magic Jack numbers

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scammers have been using Magic Jack phones to pretend to be at an airport with your consignment box. They are often a diplomat with a package that won't be scanned by customs because it is full of money. Below is my most recent one. I have now received one for San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, and now this one JFK International Airport. When this number goes dead it will by my 4th kill.

By using a Google voice account, I send an SMS to the phone. Magic Jack does not accept SMS messages so a bounce should arrive within a few minutes.

Quote:
(650) 265-1193: Error: this message was not successfully delivered. 9:39 PM

I wait about 12 hours after the email arrives to call the number from my Google Voice account. This most often will go to Voice Mail. Most often the account is not set up so the default "This Magic Jack customer is not available at this time" message is given. I leave a brief message. This exchange can be used to verify a kill later.

Once you have this information, contact the customer rep. They don't have an email or phone contact, just 24/7 chat. Click the chat button on this page and explain the scam. Offer to cut and past the entire email including the phone number. They will do the rest on their end.

Normally the agent will "protect the Confidentially of the account" In this case they slipped and let me know the account holder name and that they are in Florida. I'm not giving the name given as it is most likely not valid for this account.

http://www.magicjack.com/customercare.asp

The current number due to die is
Quote:
(650) 265-1193

fixed quote tags - JC

changed thread title - JC

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry for acting as mod while not being one, but do you really need two threads to cover this?

You've posted this thread as well.
If you feel that you have any new, rellevant information feel free to update it Wink

Also if you worry about it getting lost and burried and want people to read it, you can post link to your signature

Something like
Killing Magic Jack accounts

Code:
[url=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209074]Killing Magic Jack accounts[/url]

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!
jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

Location: Packing Vaseline in my frilly boots, I can’t help if it gets in other places.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just talked to Magic Jack customer care. Magic Jacks can be activated anywhere in the world. Additionally, if Magic Jack kills a number for abuse, the unit can be re-activated, within minutes, and the lad will have a new number.

As much as I hate to say it, looks like killing a lads Magic Jack number will do little (if anything) to slow him down. It may actually cause more harm to kill it than to leave it alone.

It is better to have the addy listed here, on scamwarners and/or numerous other anti-scam sites, where anyone can find it by doing a search and the number is linked directly to a scam format. Killing the number kills the ability of the anti-scam sites to tarnish the lad's credibility with potential victims.

I am going to unlock this thread (and lock the other one) so folks can weigh in if they so choose. Smile

“I guess a man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, and then steps in it.” ~ John Steinbeck
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Good point Jose.

We wouldn't want a lad's email address that has been made public killed; as he will then have to set up a new one and could be off the radar for a while.

If we keep them where they are, with their details made public, then if a potential victim searches the internet for a specific detail that they have, they might find a warning.

If a lad is forced to register new details such as an email account or, in this case a "Magic Jack" number, then he is off the radar until a victim (who may have lost a lot of money) reports him and posts the details for all to see.

Better to leave him where he is... Cool

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a shame that such a tool is so readily available to be abused by scammers. Sad But then again, email is routinely abused so this is just a new variation on the them. As Jose and Fowan said, killing the number will be an inconsequential inconvenience for a lad but could make it hard or impossible for a victim to find a warning on the Internet. Just another thing to be aware of, and to post at Scamwarners whenever a number comes up.

The number of potential victims who find their way to Scamwarners via search engines is truly amazing -- and gratifying. Having lads' information posted there is a terrific way to help victims and hurt scammers.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The points are well taken. Thanks. I did not know the adapters could be re-activated after abuse. I thought the number and hardware were locked out for abuse and would cost money just like killing a bank account.

I do admit I lost the other post.. sorry for the new thread. I'll watch to prevent this in the future. I had been away from baiting for a while and am a little rusty on the forum.

As requested, I'll leave the numbers active. I have some international SIP accounts I can use to call them.. It could be fun. I can play the location game too.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic