SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

"Oyinbo"

View next topic
View previous topic

Beefcake
Sex-starved Tikka Masala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been studying West African Pidgin some lately, and found this interesting blog post about the word "oyinbo" (essentialy Yoruba for 'foreigner') and its use in Nigeria. I thought that any language geeks here (such as myself) might find it interesting.

LINKY

Get rock-hard abs in just three weeks - click here to find out how!
Juan Freizwidatt
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for posting that. It's a fascinating discussion. (I am very much a language geek. Wink )

I like to study Pidgin and use it a lot for my fake lad characters. But I've never had any context in which oyinbo has come up. The only time I've heard it is in the infamous song "I Go Chop Your Dolla" by Nkem Owoh, in which it clearly refers to white victims being targeted for 419 scams:

Quote:
Oyinbo man I go chop your dollar,
I go take your money an disappear
419 is just a game, you are di loser I am di winner

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

"please if you want your funds just pay me,!! pay me!! pay me!!"

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I found it interesting too, although I'd disagree with the writer of the article.
Certainly, when I've come across the word as being used by lads or in some of the Nigerian forums I frequent, it's definitely got derogatory connotations. I've never come across it in any instance where it could be construed as a fun or endearing word. For example, in many forum discussions regarding the oil rich Delta region, some Nigerians refer to the "oyinbo" in the same sentence where they accuse them of raping and pillaging the country's resources. It certainly can't be taken as a "friendly" word in that instance.
Lads themselves seem to use the word in the same breath as maga or mugu.

I've got to admit that, to a degree, it looks to me like the author has had a problem with the word and is therefore covering his back.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Beefcake
Sex-starved Tikka Masala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agreed. The author, a Nigerian teaching Yoruba to Americans, likely has good reason to downplay the negative connotations associated with that word. I suspect that 'oyinbo' probably meant 'foreigner' originally, but began to take on a more derogatory connotation during and after the colonization of West Africa.

Get rock-hard abs in just three weeks - click here to find out how!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic